Do you take your ipad on the go?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, Jul 29, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

just wondering those who take theirs out and about and not just at home? do you think it's at the size that you can take it about or do you feel it's too big for that and you use yours just at home?

2. entropi macrumors 6502

My iPad mini (v1, 16 GB, Wi-Fi + Cellular) follows me in my back pack. I usually put it in a case too for a bit of added ruggedness. Great micro-mac with internet everywhere!

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I do. I have a variety of mobile devices that I use but when I know that I'll be doing something that can be accomplished with the iPad, I'll take that.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Starting to use my iPad mini retina as my all-in-one device wherever I go.

Left my phone at home and I am getting lunch and streaming netflix while I wait for my food :)

Still need to find a good shoulder messenger bag though so I can carry it with me that much easier.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I bring it with me daily. It fits inside my purse. I have the cellular version so no need to scrounge for wifi or even bother with turning on hotspot on my phone.

Mind, before I got the cellular version, I just used my iPad at home.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My iPad Air 2 goes with me while working. Great for making notes for the customer and accessing files from DropBox. Mine is the cellular model but I wish Apple would give us a proper file cabinet system so I could store my files on my device. Will get the iPad Pro if they give us a files system but I have my doubts that Apple will let the Pro be all it could.

If Apple fails the Surface Pro 4 will be riding to work everyday!

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I'm thinking of getting a sleeve to out in my bag so the beck doesn't get scratched. As I'm thinking of taking it on road trips

8. Rava macrumors member

My ipad mini 2 is always in my purse in case I need it. I keep it in its own padded case, and it fits easily in one side.

There are apps that mimic file system functionality if you don't need to add files on the go. They do require itunes to add files, but I find them more useful to set up a large number of files without needed to download each file from the web.

9. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I take my mini most places and am also looking for a bag. Most of the good ones are made for the regular size iPad.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep there are ways around but I need like 7000-9000 Word and Excel files on my device. This would be all of my customer contracts and purchase history. Right now DropBox with a cellular connection is the only way but there are times out in the field that cellular does not work so I need the files to be located on my device.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

My iPad Air stays housebound.

Although it's the right size to slip in my inside coat pocket if needs be.

I find my iPhone 6 Plus looks after me when out and about.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yep. Have my Mini in a Clamcase. Open/close the lid, and carry it nicely with my arm.

13. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

I opt for the Mini + Logitech keyboard when traveling as it's much easier to take out of the carry-on bag during flights. Working on presentations, spreadsheets, or writing via Dropbox for later revisions on the MBP when I arrive at my destination. Also, I choose the Mini when going to lunch or the coffee shop where I have documents to work on. Again much easier for me to carry and whip out in public, especially when on a restricted time schedule.

14. Rava macrumors member

I'm not sure what kind of limits these apps have, but right now I use File Manager to store about 1000-2000 files on my ipad/iphone. This is an offline solution so it should be fine in places where you don't have access to cellular. If you already have the files in an organized structure on your desktop, just take the root folder and drag in onto the app's file section in itunes. The only limitation is it expects you to have all these files setup from your computer so you can't add to it in the field. But if you used some combination of file manager (for the thousands of files you already have) + dropbox to add new files, it should mostly work. I would imagine to only limit in terms of number of files would be your device's storage size.

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

On my daily commute I take my iPad mini as it's easier to heft around on the tube. However I take my air on planes and on holiday. I think when I'm more relaxed I don't mind taking the bigger sized iPad around with me. The iPad Air 2 is entirely portable though. It's just for convenience that I take my mini. I've used the first gen iPad Air on my daily commute and it was definitely do able.

16. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

i'm so tempted to carry the 3 devices like you..just not sure if i would use the mini on the go with a 6 plus and an air 2

17. newellj macrumors 601

I have an Air 2 and a rMini and that pretty much sums up my use. The rMini is for daily commuting, the Air 2 is for home/vacation use.

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iPad Air 2 is with me every step of the way. Like my iPhone and Apple Watch, it's a device I cannot be without for any length of time.

19. Mrs.G macrumors newbie

Mrs.G

Take my Air 2 anytime I go out of town for business or vacation.

20. RebornProphet Suspended

My Air 2 goes to work with me every single day just like my iPad Air, iPad 4, and iPad 3 before it. Ideal for commuting or on a quiet lunch break with no colleagues around. It goes in my bag every morning, complete with Midnight Blue smart case.

21. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I carried the Mini with me more than I do the full sized iPad, but I carry the Air 2 more than I did the original iPad. Just depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. If I do carry the iPad, I also bring the Logitech Keys to Go, because I'm probably taking the iPad along to do some writing.

My husband carries his Air anytime he's going to be away from the house more than a couple of hours. He doesn't bother with a keyboard.

We both carry them for any significant travel as well.

22. M@C, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

M@C macrumors member

I take my iPad Mini 3 with me when traveling on business about 2-4 times per week.

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I frequently take my light and thin iPad Air along when traveling for work. It easily slips in alongside my MBP. Largely for entertainment , I use it for movies, ebooks and the web. While I also have an iPad mini, its just as easy to take the Air. Given a choice my preference is to go for the larger display.

24. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

So you find use for the mini and the air?

25. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I use my Air 2 constantly. If I leave the house, it goes in my purse. I use it all the time at school. When I'm traveling for an extended period, I have a pouch that has two slots, one for my MBA, and one for the Air.