Do You Tell How Much Your Mac Costs When People Ask?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleguy123, Aug 14, 2010.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I live in a somewhat rural area, and almost no one has a Mac, and most people have never even seen one. They ask a lot of questions and one of them is how much I paid for it. I almost always lie to them. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's because $2500 is what they make in a month and a half and I feel really bad about that.
    So when people ask how much your Mac costs what do you tell them?

2. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I don't talk to people about how much my possessions cost... frankly I think it's a little rude to ask, and if they want to know they can look on the internet.

When I do get asked, I usually tell people that Apple makes computers at a wide range of prices and that it's often possible to buy one of their notebooks for less than $900. Then leave it at that.

3. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Well I live near DC so plenty of money around. So yes, I tell them.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

$1200 for the computer, iwork, and a 16GB ipod touch. I think its a great deal.

5. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Before I speak to anyone I always ensure they sign a watertight 'don't ask don't tell' agreement upon the value of my apple branded equipment :D

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

Given that they can find it on the internet, who cares? Just tell them, it's not a big secret.

EDIT: To answer the question, yes, I tell them. It makes no difference to me, and everyone has different things they like to spend their money on. Sure my machine ran nearly $3k, but if someone asks I may as well just tell them to answer their question rather than deflecting. Nothing sucks more than asking someone a question that's pretty benign and they deflect it, so I just answer it for them.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i never get asked that but i would not tell them as it doesnt matter. I'd reply with something witty probably

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you have to ask you probably can't afford it. ;)

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hah...

For some things I could see how it would be impolite or rude but fact is, everyone knows Apple and how expensive their products are so telling them isn't a problem to me. If they further inquire, I just tell them that they can look at a MacBook or look to Apple's refurbished site if they're looking for a cheaper Mac.

10. DylanMBP macrumors newbie

My 17" Macbook Pro would have been like 3,500 but my parents bought it with American Express Rewards. I usually just say the prices changed a lot in the past few years and Im not sure what it would be now.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I usually just say too much because that's what my wallet thought after buying this expensive beast. To be honest, I would think how much it has cost me per hour because then it would have cost me less than a Euro per hour and after several years of service, it has cost me like a cent per hour. That is not that bad value, it hurts in the beginning but after years, you realize how many non-productive hours you've spent in front of it browsing in MR for example :D

12. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

haha YES I DO, but i do not tell them my home address =D hehe lol but i do tel them and then they go "You are insane for spending that" and i reply "how much do you spend on a new computer each year" and they respond with "well depends but usually $1000 which is no where near your $2000" and i swiftly reply "$2000 is over 4 years so at a cost of $500 a year a have a better computer" lol it makes quite an interesting argument =D

13. advres Guest

advres

Most people never ask. The ones that do usually do so because they are curious about my work and ask "how much does an edit machine cost"? I usually just tell them I have a brand new car invested in my work system.

14. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

I tell people what it costs. The price is no secret it. It does shock some people when it is compared to a bargain pc. I do inform them that there are several different configurations and good deals can be had by buying a refurbished model. Its all relative. I find it shocking when someone a computer that is over 3 years old.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is close to what I do. I don't get why people can't just look it up on the internet. Then I mention the MacBook to them.

16. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I am mostly asked about people interested to buy one so I tell them.

But I have the cheapest MBP as I have a powerful desktop for anything else.

17. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

please rephrase

XcheapestX this is a terrible term

you have the base macbook pro hehe

makes it sound like the base one is terrible >_< your computer is like 3 upgrades from the best, so you have the base MBP lol

18. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Of course I tell them.
    And I hate how people get all weird when you ask what something costs - I am showing an interest in what you have, stop being such a snobby prick. It really irks me, especially since it doesn't matter how much it costs.

19. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

If ot doesn't matter then why ask? Its not being snobby, it just feels awkward to have something that would be a month's income for some people.

20. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

As long as it gets the job, 5 hours away from a power outlet and doesn't break my bike you can call it anything you want. :)

To be honest with 400 euros in an SSD and another 250 for 8gb of RAM it's really not that cheap after all :(

21. chrisvee macrumors regular

Someone: "Wow, nice MacBook Pro! How much was it?"

Me: "Doesn't matter." :D

That's pretty much how it goes. I don't like telling people because people get irked when I tell them how much I spend on my toys. :p

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I just tell them $2700-$3700 depending on which accessories I have hooked up at the time because lots of people are just interested in how much a mac costs, and often they ask me how it works or how much I like it afterwards. I'm also known for letting people take it for a spin just so they can be awed.

I don't have time/patience to get into arguing matches about how much I over paid or how "my mac is simply a pc with an apple on it" (because some have tried). Once they get into comparison pricing I just say "oh" and continue on with my work lol.

23. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

24. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

This.
    Another reason why I don't tell people is because they don't even want to buy a Mac. They want to total the amount I spend on all of my Apple stuff and call me a sheep. Honestly, I think that they're just envious.

25. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

What business it of theirs anyway? It's like someone who know what my life is like asking how much shunt surgery is? YIPES.