Do you think apple is hiding/saving features in 2.0 for launch date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Jun 15, 2008.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Do you think apple is hiding features for the official iPhone 2.0 release? Like do you think they have their own apps in development that they will launch with the app store?

Stuff like
    iWork
    iChat (even though the video conferencing has been squashed)

2. rfrankl macrumors 6502

There might be a feature or two that wasn't mentioned, but I doubt any of them will be earth shattering.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm sure there will be at least 1 surprise app included in the final release.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

They did in a way save Youtube on Gen 1 until near the launch, but that could have been for various reasons other than hiding it for the sake of hiding it.

What im intrigued about is what Apps will be in the App store the day it launches!!

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

100% Yes.

The update doesn't scream 'Worth $9.95' to me, as a general user, yet,
    and it should.

Apple know it should.

R-Fly

6. rudolf macrumors member

The update is free. Does it scream "worth $0.00" to you? ;)

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Oh yeah, cause the ability to install applications (like Bioshock or Spore), push email contacts and calendar, are all not worth the $9.95. Sure. AppStore itself is worth $25.

iPod Touch users have to pay $9.95

8. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Niiro13 is right Rodlf, I do infact own an iPod touch and therefore will
    be required to drop the $9.95 for the update, which I'm fine about.

The App Store, worth $25 alone? - Huh, No. Apple's App Store is a revenue-generating machine, I shouldn't have to pay to access something which ultimately is going to generate even more revenue for Apple. I'm happy to pay, but I shouldn't have to. I have no problem with the price of the 2.0 software update, it's placed at a gracious price-point for us iPod touch users, alot better than the Janurary Software update, which stung at $20.

The App Store is worth $7, if that. this charge would reflect the free content on the App Store. The $9.95 charge is subsidized 'credit' for the App Store if you like, but if you think the App Store in the 2.0 software update is worth around $25 alone, you must either like throwing money hand-over-fist to Apple, or your perception of this software update is warped.

R-Fly

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Nope not at all, not expecting Apple to release anything else.

From January 07 to June 07 they added 1 app.

From June 9 to July 11.. MAYBE 1 app, not really counting on it though. I think they are relying on the App Store to supply people's needs, instead of Apple releasing native 1st party apps themselves.

10. frosse macrumors 6502a

I keep telling myself that a frontfaced cam with ichat will be announced within a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

C'mon :apple:, hear my prayers!

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I don't get the video conferencing craze. I have an iSight in my MBP but I've used it about 3 times. Are you people who are clamoring for video conferencing constantly using video chat on your computer?

I kind of like the privacy a regular old phone call gives :)

12. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

no not going to happen

13. samab macrumors 6502a

Spinning conspiracies around.

What do you think? Apple is hiding features so that if Steve Jobs died one day, they got something to release to soften the impact?

14. Rigsby macrumors regular

I love the idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few things Apple are holding up their sleeve, but, as a previous poster said, nothing earth shattering - it will be like YouTube or the optical glass with the V1 iPhone, a nice little extra.

I'm sort of hoping the camera is improved, but think it's more likely they will have a few apps.

15. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

Based on Steve's gout appearance, that wouldn't surprise me.

As for the video chat thing, I'm a teenager and I must say I use a lot, it adds a whole personal part to it. I feel like video chat in this country would take off with the iPhone. Most other country's use it all the time. I think it just adds that "personal touch" and the ability to display body language.

As a current owner of an iPhone, I think I will be waiting for another year to by a new iPhone,which by then will hopefully have a front facing camera.

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Try again.

17. camarobh macrumors 6502

That is uncalled for.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

I am right with you, MBHockey. I have a built-in iSight, and I think I have turned it on to see if it worked, and that was it. A few times my ichat has popped up with someone wanting to video chat, and I decline every time. Unless there's a reason to video chat (ie girlfriend having "fun"), I have no intentions of video chatting...and most certainly not on my phone.

19. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I genuinely hope that Apple releases customization for the dock and background (meaning you can change the dock (i.e. Reflective, Metal, etc.) or change the background on the home screen). I also hope they add landscape orientation for all applications and the Home Screen.

I think and hope Apple has a few surprises up their sleeve's. He's made us wait so long for v2.0, and as R-Fly said, as an end user/regular consumer I don't see enough to justify $9.95, although I will still pay it. Maybe they're waiting for 2.0.2 to release more features though? :cool:

20. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Based upon Apple's track record with Leopard and the orig iPhone, Apple is more likely to REMOVE a feature or two that they promised at the WWDC.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Why do people bother posting that they never use a feature, as if that makes it useless??

Quite likely, comparably few will use the GPS to its full extent, but that doesn't mean it's useless.

As for video, my family, who is scattered around the country, does video conferencing quite often. If I were away from my child for business and only had my phone, then sure I'd love to see her, and she me!

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Please point me to a feature removed from the original iPhone.

23. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

10 minutes of Keynote were spent discussing the benefits of YAHOO IMAP/push email- free for all iPhone users.

24. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I hope you're not thinking that the push capabilities are standard out of the box? You'll need a MobileMe subscription for that.:p

25. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I don't recall seeing 10 minutes of that??