Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Ill take them if they are the EarPods.

Regarding Beats (urBeats), I looked up the reviews on Amazon and came away unimpressed. Apparently the build quality is poor and they will break soon. Apple will want to avoid that PR nightmare.

comparing beats to the stock earbuds you'll always like the beats better even if they aren't as good as the other competition in that price range. I like my s4i and bowers. Also jaybird bluebudX are my newest favorite earbuds(bluetooth).
All have memory foam comfy tips. If you haven't tried other brands i think you should venture out from the stockies.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
comparing beats to the stock earbuds you'll always like the beats better even if they aren't as good as the other competition in that price range. I like my s4i and bowers. Also jaybird bluebudX are my newest favorite earbuds(bluetooth).
All have memory foam comfy tips. If you haven't tried other brands i think you should venture out from the stockies.

I have Grados and Etymonics. I've been a professional musician most of my life. The stock EarPods aren't the best, but the Beats stuff is for kids for the most part. They go boom boom, but not much clarity.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

Thanks for the info. I think I will take a gander as I wouldn't mind going bluetooth at this point.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
The current EarPods are stylish and go with any type of person (executive or young adult). Not sure I can say the same for Beats.

I agree with this because I've only seen teenagers with a pair of beats around their necks.

I think that Beats are really just fashion accessories at this point. I prefer the EarPods, since they function well. (but I've broken 2 or 3 pairs already :mad:)

:rolleyes:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No way Apple dilutes the brand they just bought by giving them away to iPhone buyers. No way in hell. Maybe as a premium option, but I still doubt it.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I agree with this because I've only seen teenagers with a pair of beats around their necks.

I think that Beats are really just fashion accessories at this point. I prefer the EarPods, since they function well. (but I've broken 2 or 3 pairs already :mad:)

:rolleyes:

Yea, the EarPods have been reliable for me and they are cheap. I keep one pair at work and the other at home. Being that they are $30 or less, I won't have too much heartburn if they broke on me. $99 urBeats would piss me off if they broke a few months later.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's possible and I certainly wouldn't mind. I just don't think its likely due to profit margin like others have stated. They'll probably be marketed and sold separately for iPhone owners who want them. That's why they have those matching colors.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Apple has to make money back from Beats somehow. There is nothing wrong with the standard headphones. The only thing I could see Apple doing is shipping the standard headphones they shipped, but with the beats logo on them. Maybe not this year, but next year.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Yea, the EarPods have been reliable for me and they are cheap. I keep one pair at work and the other at home. Being that they are $30 or less, I won't have too much heartburn if they broke on me. $99 urBeats would piss me off if they broke a few months later.

I have a pair of Beats SoloHD (the drenched in color ones) and the right side seams popped open. It has happened before, on both sides, and all I needed to do was push it down, but this time it won't, so now I have gaps on the right side where the seams should line up.

Not the worst punchase I've made, but I don't think I'm buying another pair of beats.

As for the EarPods, I dropped my iPad mini on the carpet with the headphone jack/sleep wake button hitting it first, so the little gold thing (the plug) bent and it wouldn't work.
I don't remember how the second pair broke...

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I have a pair of Beats SoloHD (the drenched in color ones) and the right side seams popped open. It has happened before, on both sides, and all I needed to do was push it down, but this time it won't, so now I have gaps on the right side where the seams should line up.

Not the worst punchase I've made, but I don't think I'm buying another pair of beats.

As for the EarPods, I dropped my iPad mini on the carpet with the headphone jack/sleep wake button hitting it first, so the little gold thing (the plug) bent and it wouldn't work.
I don't remember how the second pair broke...

I actually have some Beats Studios that I bought a couple years ago and they work flawlessly to this day. Got them for a good price on Amazon but like you said, probably wasn't one of my smarter purchases. I rarely use them mostly because they require batteries. The stock earbuds from Apple get the job done so they are my go to device. I had one pair of stock earbuds break on me a while back. Sound stop coming out of one of the sides. Again, with a price that cheap, I didn't get too worked up. They aren't skull candy cheap but you get the point.

Now that you got me talking about it, I better get some value out of my Studios so I better throw on a movie or something. :)

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
so you stick to earbuds that sound like crap. makes sense. I'm not saying you need beats but the apple earbuds are horrible(imo) i still have the unopened set from my last 4 iPhones if you want them

Same here. I just gave a pair away to a friend who was about to drop 39 bucks to buy new ones.

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I could see Apple doing is shipping the standard headphones they shipped, but with the beats logo on them.

From a branding perspective, this would be disastrous. Sure, I get that the Beats brand is "cool," especially presumably among younger people, but putting Beats' logo on Apple products is a huge no-no. They need to keep Beats as a separate entity that Apple happens to own and sell, not equal to or the same as Apple itself. Muddling the two brands weakens both individually and would potentially drive away stockholders and fans/customers of either brand.

For this reason, I don't see Beats-branded products shipping in the box with Apple-branded products, or vice versa.

KenniJH

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
I hope not. I personally think that Beats by Dre does not perform well enough to justify the pricetag. There er better contenders in that pricerange IMHO.

ShaiBrooklyn

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
I actually really liked the pair of Beats that came with my HTC Rezound a few years ago and it didn't effect the pricing on the phone. Personally I am a Beats over the ear user, I love my Solo 2s and they've made significant sound improvements so it's not just bass. It's crisp clear sound no matter the genre and I listen to a wide range of music. That being said I'm also above the teenage age group.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the info. I think I will take a gander as I wouldn't mind going bluetooth at this point.

honestly i won't ever look back after i got those bluetooth earbuds. i tried bluetooth a few years ago and sound and fit wasn't up to par with the other 100$+ headphones.
I use my headphones everyday and have for years so i tend to not like crappy things that sound like well crap. Music is a big part of my life in all my activities i do and has been for almost 20 years now so cutting the cable and finally having bluetooth earbuds is pretty amazing. definitely changes the way i move too. Snagging on shirts and having to pull your neck up to pull the cable up more was a common thing and i still find myself doing this out of habit then getting reminded i don't have a cable going down my shirt haha.
Give them a try... and get the comfy tips!

THEHOLYGHOST

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Don't think so. The apple/beats deal just got officially signed away what a month ago? Too short notice. And anyone who says they wouldn't rather beats headphones are crazy... I used to not be on the bandwagon either and didn't see the hype about beats till I got a paid. Great sound and noise cancellation.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'd say no.

There's money to be made on upselling iPhone customers to Beats products. Give people the branded stuff out of the box and there's less incentive to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.