Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Hi all,

Currently debating a MacBook Air purchase early next year. What spurred this along is that I have original gen 1 AirPods that are ruined and only last 20mins. Looking at prices of AirPods they're absurd but I also have aging Mac/Windows Laptops. In Australia Apple usually does a deal in January (student/education) with free AirPods for any Mac/iPad purchase and I thought I would capitalise on this given I am typing this on a Mid 2011 MacBook Pro. My current devices
  • MacBook Pro 2011 (upgrade 8/256ssd)
  • White MacBook 2010 (scored this "broken" from FB marketplace for $15 has 8/256ssd)
  • Lenovo E580 - Only used for 3D printing
  • Mac mini M1 (base spec 8/256) I am debating selling this with this upgrade as I find being a desktop it gets very limited use compared to my laptops.

I'm currently dating 4 options which are, MacBook Air M1/M2 (base models) vs MacBook Air vs M1/M2 (speced up).

Upgraded (13")
  • Air M2 (8 and 8) with 16gb 512gb $2,219
  • Air M1 (8 and 7) with 16gb 512gb $1,889
Base specs (13")
  • Air M2 (8 and 8) with 8gb 256gb $1,649
  • Air M1 (8 and 7) with 8gb 256gb $1,349
I keep flip flopping on what is better, I love the design of the M2 for Magsafe and the idea of longevity but if they're about to drop a M3 in that thing I will be super annoyed and knowing my luck they'd do it 15 days later.

The M1 would suit me perfectly fine the only thing that is making me think M2 is longevity. I've kept my 2011 or over 10 years (albeit with updates) and I'd like to do the same thing again if I can. 256gb is a challenge for me so 512 would be nice but I could manage on 256 (I do now with the Mac mini). That $1,349 price is what is so tempting.

My current usage is just web browsing, spreadsheets, and the occasional video or photo edit, it does not warrant M2 I am just thinking longer term and support given these laptops are not upgradable.

Happy for all thoughts and devil advocates.

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
M3 in the macbook air will happen, but I’m not expecting it before spring 2024.

Most bang for you buck would probably be this model:
  • Air M1 (8 and 7) with 16gb 512gb $1,889
I would recommend against an 8GB model, as you expect to keep it for a very long time.

Reactions: Wanted797 and jido

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
My current usage is just web browsing, spreadsheets, and the occasional video or photo edit, it does not warrant M2 I am just thinking longer term and support given these laptops are not upgradable.

If an M2 already seems too much, then why worry about the M3?

Nobody knows when the M3 Airs will come out, but a spring event seems likely. The chips are obviously there. It can't be a big engineering challenge to put them into the MBAs. Therefore, it's more about timing. And there's a certain precedent for a spring event. But things can change.

In any case, M1 and M2 are already way ahead of your current devices. I have an M1 Pro MBP 14" with 16 GB and that amount of RAM is very comfortable. I would opt for that upgrade in your situation. And to juggle storage space is super annoying for me personally. I had a 256 GB MBP before and I swore to never go that route again. I have 1 TB now. But everyone's different of course.

If you want a good deal, maybe keep an eye on the refurbished store?

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
If an M2 already seems too much, then why worry about the M3?

Nobody knows when the M3 Airs will come out, but a spring event seems likely. The chips are obviously there. It can't be a big engineering challenge to put them into the MBAs. Therefore, it's more about timing. And there's a certain precedent for a spring event. But things can change.

In any case, M1 and M2 are already way ahead of your current devices. I have an M1 Pro MBP 14" with 16 GB and that amount of RAM is very comfortable. I would opt for that upgrade in your situation. And to juggle storage space is super annoying for me personally. I had a 256 GB MBP before and I swore to never go that route again. I have 1 TB now. But everyone's different of course.

If you want a good deal, maybe keep an eye on the refurbished store?
Thanks for respond that is a good point.

I guess my thought process is the higher the processor the longer the support. Not the power output.

If I buy M1/2 if they go and drop an M3 in the air. I suspect the M1 will be discontinued and the M2 13” Air might be kept around as that entry level at the great price.

Reactions: dasjati

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
If I buy M1/2 if they go and drop an M3 in the air. I suspect the M1 will be discontinued and the M2 13” Air might be kept around as that entry level at the great price.

That's what I would expect, too. Good point. Unfortunately, only Apple really knows what their plans are. So in the end it always comes back to the old advice: If you can wait, wait. If you can't wait, don't :D

At the same time, I understand your motivation to "time the market" :)

msmyrtle

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2023
I suspect the M1 will be discontinued
I agree, my guess is that it will happen next year.

For everything else - I will go for "only Apple knows". I was wrong enough times before in my expectations, so I better not speculate further.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
That's what I would expect, too. Good point. Unfortunately, only Apple really knows what their plans are. So in the end it always comes back to the old advice: If you can wait, wait. If you can't wait, don't :D

At the same time, I understand your motivation to "time the market" :)
Yeah this is where my mind goes. Get the cheapest (it will do me for now) get those free AirPods. Then if something else comes out and I do need more worry about that when it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.