Do you use a mouse with your MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Houls, May 16, 2009.

?

Do you use a Mouse with your MacBook or Notebook?

1. Yes

102 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Houls macrumors member

I use a Microsoft Bluetooth mini mouse with my MacBook. I'm curious to know how many other people also use a mouse with their notebooks.

2. Toofan macrumors member

I bought a bluetooth Mighty Mouse. It looks amazing and the quad click / all way scroll is awesome....but targeting isn't smooth and right click is more luck than anything else. I've switched back to my 30 dollar corded Creative Laser mouse for gaming, otherwise Mighty Mouse ftw

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I switch between the trackpad and mouse, depending on my mood and posture. It's good for the hand(s) to switch input devices from time to time, too. (edit: It's a BT MightyMouse)

Have to say, with the UB MBP, I'm tending to use the trackpad more. It's the best I've ever used - the texture they choose for the glass is awesome. It always feels silky, no matter how dry my finger is. Good job, Apple! (I'll take back half a "good job" point for the slightly stiff, noisy integrated button - only a half-point, though, as full surface idea is great.)

(17" UB MBP)

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah the mighty mouse is awful for gaming. anything else and i think it's great.

i use a keyboard and a mouse if i'm at a desk. but usually, unless i'm doing school work - i'll just check eBay, my e-mail and pop on iChat for a while while listening to a couple tunes on the couch or the bed.

if i have to do desk work (papers, etc) i'll plug up to an external monitor and use it as a desktop in clamshell.

6. Houls thread starter macrumors member

I went back and forth on choosing between the Mighty Mouse and MS Bluetooth mouse. The true right click functionality of the MS mouse won me over.

7. magamo macrumors 6502

I prefer a trackpad but also use a mouse when I feel like it, especially when I have to do a lot of copy-pastes or draw a picture.

8. Yodgee macrumors member

Ill always use the trackpad when in OSX but if im using windows 7 ill prefer the mouse as there are still issues with the trackpad firmware (not liking the two finger right click in windows as i seem to always unintentionally right click when im attempting to click and drag something)

9. youssefm macrumors 6502

I only use the trackpad in osx, i use a mouse in windows (it seems as though on my unibody, everytime I use the trackpad i get kernel panics, but when i use a mouse, i never ever get them

10. thegilly macrumors member

Generally I just use the trackpad on my Penryn MBP. Means I can use either hand easily and swap from one to the other without fuss (I'm not terribly strongly right-handed) and don't have to make as much room on my desk or wherever else I'm working. Plus I like having as little as possible plugged in to my machine and I get sick of the batteries in a cordless mouse running down. I do sometimes filch a Mighty Mouse from my iMac or my mother's iBook if I want to play certain simple games that get a bit tiring played on the trackpad. The three-finger-swipe for back and forward means I prefer to use the trackpad for web surfing, iPhoto, etc. I also find that a long day of computer use will leave me with a slightly sore/achy mouse hand if I use a mouse, but that doesn't happen if I just use the trackpad. YMMV.

11. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I voted no, I used to, but I hate having "another" thing on my desk. And track pads are so efficient.

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ugh, I hate trackpads. Back when my iBook was my main computer, I probably used a mouse with it about half the time I was on it. Now that I have my eMac where I constantly use a mouse, I can put up with using a trackpad for a little while. *shrug*

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

There should've been a SOMETIMES option. I use the trackpad on my Unibody MB when i'm not in the office at my desk, where I have a Mighty Mouse.
    So I guess it's about 50-50 for me.

I do LOVE the HUGE trackpad on this thing. The only reason I have a mouse is because I have my MB on a Griffin Elevator, to bring it up to eye level.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Absolutely, unless I'm using it somewhere a mouse is not practical, like the couch.

15. magamo macrumors 6502

I just realized I always swipe up with 4 fingers to see my desktop regardless of whether I'm using a mouse or the trackpad. Also I often use the 4 finger swipe for Exposé when my right hand is on the keyboard.

16. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i use it cause its a little more conviniant for my hands. but sometimes depending on my posture of the day. i use the trackpad.

But the main reason i use my mouse is for photoshop and video editing, which sometimes calls for the slight of hands to do some precision moving.

i plan to get a external keyboard, my macbook's edges sort of "cut" into my wrists. and i get coporal (however you speel) tunnel and it hurts like a b**** i need something more comfortorable.

this is all done at home however, at school its a totally different story, since your on the go and not too much sitting in front of your macbook all day

17. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I use my Mighty Mouse when I sit down to do heavy work. I use the trackpad when I just want to check some quickly or do some light research or work.

18. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

No, the huge multi touch is perfect for normal use on the new macbook.
    When I do photoshop though I sometimes use a mogo x54 bluetooth mouse, it fits nicely into my old laptops expansion slot where it charges, shame there is no expansion slot on the macbook

19. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse when working at a desk, trackpad when it's on my lap.

20. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

I use both trackpad and mouse when I use my MacBook. There are times when I'm tired of moving my finger all over the trackpad and find comfort in using a mouse instead. There are also times when I'm in the mood not to use the mouse, so I transfer to the trackpad and vice versa.

21. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

The design and capabilities of the new trackpads on my unibody MacBook make it the obvious preference over a mouse. it is so intuitive and easy to use, I can't imagine a scenario where a mouse would provide any benefit.

22. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I used to hate trackpads until the Unibody MacBook showed up with it's giant smooth glass trackpad, love it, never used a mouse on it.

23. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I have a couple, but I rarely use them. Mainly because I'm usually on the couch or traveling, not at my desk.

24. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I use a mouse when at a desk/table/some other sort of worktop, since I can live with the trackpad, it is harder to game and to photoshop, especially when making paths and selections. Besides, who really wants greasy dorito dust all over their trackpad?! ;)

This be mine...

Attached Files:

25. amabo macrumors member

Who eats dorito's at their computer? No, I'm serious. Why the hell would you do that...that's like asking "How did my keys get orange?!" and never coming to the realization that you eat cheeto's all the time while browsing YouTube.

I use a Logitech v450 when my laptop is plugged into the external monitor on my desk, and the trackpad otherwise. I think going around and saying that the trackpad is useless / hating it is a contradiction of owning a laptop. The white macbook's trackpad is perfectly fine in terms of friction ratio - and the tapping on it is sensitive which is really nice.