Do you use Apple Pay? Has it worked for you?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Traverse, Mar 3, 2015.

?

Have you used Apple Pay?

1. Yes, I've been using Apple Pay and it's fine

139 vote(s)
    74.7%
  2. No, I haven't used Apple Pay and don't plan to

15 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. No, I haven't used Apple Pay, but plan to after more time passes

32 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

My credit union is getting Apple Pay in about a week or so.

When Apple announced it I knew I'd sit back and see what happens, but after 6 months it seems to have caught on pretty well and no security issues have been reported (that I know of).

Have you used Apple Pay? How has it worked for you?

2. technosix macrumors 6502a

I have no desire, my iPhone 6 Plus is so buggy I just don't trust it.

Once Apple finally sorts it out and ships a properly working version of IOS, I may try it at that point.

3. mlsusa macrumors regular

I use it as much as possible. Both in stores that support it (e.g. Duane Reade/Walgreens, McDonald's) and apps that let you pay with it (e.g. TicketMaster, Uber). I found it to be fast, convenient, and reliable.

4. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

I use it quite often. No issues at all. Whole foods, Walgreens, McDonalds, soda machines with wireless pay. Never have had an issue

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I use it when I can. I live in an area that is generally technologically challenged so not very many places support NFC payments. Walgreens and McDonald's are about the only two places around here that I've been able to pay with my phone at but it's worked great when I used it.

7. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

Since there was no option for this i'll type it.

Yes and it failed.

I tried using Apple Pay in the Apple Store app and it failed. Tried a few more times and it kept on failing. Stopped after I realized it wouldn't work.

8. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

9. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Oops, I'm sorry. That was my bad; that should have been an option. :(

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I use it everywhere I can. Here, Lowes keeps their store more organized than Home Depot. I shop at HD because they take ApplePay. Sounds like an unneeded effort because paying with a card is easy but its not about ease of payment for me. I use ApplePay because its tokenized. I use a credit card when I travel because it gives me time to review the charges before the money moves from my account to the payment. Layered security.

The fact that people look at you with amazement when I use it to pay is a side benefit too. I have had people stop what they are doing just to watch me pay because they want to see how it works. When I complete the transaction in 2 seconds they just stand there asking "was that it?". Yes, its thats easy.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I only had one instance at Walgreens where it didn't work as designed the first time.

Otherwise, Walgreens, Panera, Home Depot, Whole Foods, Champs all super easy.

B

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I use it every chance I can.

as for security the only 'breach' has been with banks that have crap for identity verification before allowing a card in Apple Pay. So apparently some nasty folks were scamming card deets and then putting them into their phones and using them. got away with it cause cashier never looks at card to know that you aren't likely Frank Jones with those big double Ds. But that's actually a bank issue not an Apple Pay one. And one that would be solved if more places took Apple Pay cause then cashiers aren't walking off to scan your card out of your site etc (say at most sit down restaurants)

----------

I would be curious why it failed. Because that app should be one that was guaranteed to have the support correct. Did you try it anywhere else like in a real store. That would possibly answer if it was just that app or something with the card set up.

13. truskowr macrumors member

I use it as often as I can. I've used it at Save Mart and Subway multiple times. It's quick and simple. However, if the bill is over $50 at Save Mart, I still have to sign for it.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

As soon as my credit union supports it/I open a credit card, I will. Until then, I can't.

15. bearda macrumors 6502

I use it maybe once or twice a week, but I swipe my card 2-3 times per day. It works most of the time, but I'd say 20% of the time there's some kind of error that means I'll have to fall back to swiping anyway. Most of these are cases where the terminal is recognized, I'm prompted to touch the fingerprint sensor, it acknowledges I've paid on the phone but the terminal acts like nothing has happened. This seems to happen even at retailers where ApplePay has worked previously, so I have a rather dim view of the reliability of the system overall.

The only reason I use it now is to mask my real debit card number in case of a compromise, but give that 80% of the transactions I perform are still using that card number the chance that I'm reducing the risk of my card being compromised is quite low. It really isn't any more convenient to me than swiping my card, and any minor efficiency gained is completely wiped out by the percentage of time it flat out doesn't work and I have to do everything over again.

16. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I use it and I love it. I frequent Walgreens now instead of CVS as I prefer security & convenience. The only time I had it fail is when I tried to use it at an unsupported place (Office Max). But I've used at McDonald's, Home Depot, Walgreens, Panera and a few others with no problem.

17. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I may tell CVS the same. We go there a lot and a Walgreens is across the street. :apple::apple:

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I don't currently use Apple Pay, mainly because I'd like to see it more widely accepted at retailers. But I do plan on using it in the future.

19. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Apple pay is awesome and works pretty much where ever i go. I'm just waiting for discover card to get on board with it!

20. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

The only thing I don't like, if you use a debit card. No receipt on AP. I have to get paper receipt. Its my only gripe.

21. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Can you still ask for a paper receipt? They don't still offer you one at cash out?

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I tried to use it once and after much tapping and head scratching it worked. I then had to hand over my credit card to the cash register person. So I don't really see the point. I was excited at the promise of Apple Pay but in real life it's disappointing.

23. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

24. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have had no problem wherever I used it so far. No cashier problems, fast, always get instant bank notification while at terminal. Just want more places to accept. I emailed CVS telling them a Walgreens is across the street. I get CVS emails all the time saying how important I am as one of their top 10% customers. We'll see. I think everyone gets the 10% line. :)

25. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Do you still get a paper receipt?