Do you use facetime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HE15MAN, Sep 1, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I thought it was one of the best features of the iPhone 4, and have used it once. Anyone else like that?

2. AaronE macrumors 6502

Haven't had the chance to use it yet and I've have the iPhone since it was released lol.

Plus I don't know anyone else with a iPhone 4 around here.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Used it once as a demo, and once to harass my husband from the other end of the house. LOL The wifi limitation makes it a lot less useful than it otherwise might be, and my friends with iPhones all have 3G/3GS models.

Meh. Really not impressed by it personally. Though for frequent travelers, I bet it's a great thing.

4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Used it several times, but usually as the person who was initiating the session to show someone else how it worked.

Tonight, for the first time, my daughter initiated a FaceTime session with me to 'take me shopping' and show me some gifts she's picked out. It was easily the coolest and most immersive use of technology I've ever experienced in my life. When the tech itself ceases to get in the way (and if you knew my daughter, she is the epitome of anti-technology) and the experience itself just works and you forget its involved...then magic is truly the outcome.

I'm now hooked.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Love it, but the times a I'm talking to someone who has an i4 AND is on wifi is pretty slim.

I'll use it more in the future, I suppose.

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

7. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Use it a lot to say goodnight to my child if I am travel...

8. geekinc macrumors newbie

I would like to use FaceTime, but only know of 2 people who have it so I really haven't used it more then 1 minute. If you want to facetime let me know

9. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Had my iPhone since release day and I've never once used it and I never will use it, it's just not something I'm interested in

10. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Every day. My husband travels frequently and the kids love it.

11. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

wifi-less

My partner uses iPhone 4 and I'm still stuck with my Nokia E71. We use Fring to video chat when out and about. Works good on 3g.

12. Che Castro macrumors 603

jailbreak your phone

takes a few seconds with that jailbrekme site

then get facebreak or my3g from cydia

facetime over 3g:apple:

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

All the time. It's the preferred mode of communication for me and a friend of mine.

14. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

FaceTime is my single favorite communication feature of the iPhone 4. If you choose to use it stock via wi-fi, its usefulness and degree of use, are totally hamstrung by the availability of wi-fi. Now, if you jailbroke and combo it with some kind of restriction removal (my3G, Facebreak, 3GUnrestrictor), the FaceTime become a thousand times more useful!

Personally, the clincher for me with FaceTime was about a week ago being able to wish a Happy Birthday to my 4 year old daughter while she blew out the candles on her cake at her party in Los Angeles, while I was out commuting in a bullet train going 130mph on the outskirt of Beijing, China over 3G! (Btw, no dropped calls, no signal attenuation and picture quality was pretty good)

15. Hemmo macrumors regular

nope it disapeared few weeks ago (price to pay for jailbreaking..waiting for easy fix)

i would use it pretty much if it would work :(

16. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I didn't use it at all, then two of my best friends back at home got iPhone 4's, now I do all the time. Sometimes it is kind of crazy though. Like one time I FaceTimed my friend and he had just found out his grandpa died. Pretty intense to look someone straight in the face and say how sorry you are as opposed to just saying it over the phone. Much more charged with emotion and sadness, especially when you can visibly see that they are upset about it. I still remember the look on his face.

Damn.

FaceTime really does change things.

It's as though I look around myself and suddenly realize I'm arriving in that future I was told about as a child.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Used it once, can't see a need for it.

I've had video calling on my old phones for years, that too never got used.

I don't think video calling is practical - especially with one model of phone and only on Wi-Fi.

18. mikerr macrumors regular

Lol - its like skype never happened then ? ;)

Still can't understand why apple didn't - and still ahven't - released facetime for desktop Macs (or PCs).
    That would make it take off.

19. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Not yet, all my friends who have iPhones are still on 3GS's. Hopefully now the iPod Touch has FaceTime I'll get to use it more.

20. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, but honestly, most normal people don't use Skype. Especially casually. Hell, I'm fairly nerdy and I don't ever. Plus people are hardly at their computer all the time. My friend isn't going to be on his computer signed into Skype when I FaceTime him and he's sitting in the hospital after just finding out his grandfather passed away. That's some powerful, compelling stuff right there. It's built-in and you don't have to install anything or setup anything. It just works like you'd expect, and that's the best part. Before my wife and I were married, I'd Skype her from school and we could never get the connection stable. She was always having to mess with settings, reset her router, toggle off/on the WIFI, etc. It was a pain—she usually sounded like a robot and looked blocky. Maybe it's better now, but it isn't nearly as convenient or portable.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What about Skype for iOS? It does everything you complain about and more. It works on more devices than FaceTime does and it works over 3G. Then there's Skype for other devices, and third party applications that can be used with it.

In my experience FaceTime has serious NAT traversal issues.

22. mikerr macrumors regular

Everyone has a computer capable of skype (or facetime-desktop if released)

Very few people have an iphone4... and how many of your contacts have them?

23. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

skype running at 30-60 fps on my 24" Apple LCD

or

Facetime with crappy framerate, small screen and the need to hold the camera

PASS