Do you wish that your iPhone had a higher resolution screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Internet Enzyme, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Are you fine with your current iPhone's resolution?

1. Yes

50.4%
  2. No

33.6%
  3. Who cares

6.9%
  4. Yes, but I want a higher resolution screen.

8.4%
  5. No, I want a lower resolution screen. BATTERY LIFE!

0.8%
  1. Internet Enzyme macrumors regular

Internet Enzyme

I do. The current "retina" displays are lagging behind modern display tech. This might be fixed with the 2017 iPhones' OLED display, which might also include a higher resolution. I mean the iPhone has kept this 326 ppi display for 6 years, while all other manufacturers have upgraded their display's PPI since then, with sony in the lead with its ridiculous 806 ppi 4k Xperia 5 Premium. While that is definitely too far, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for the ability to watch full hd movies and videos. I suggest a 1080p 4.7" iPhone display, at 469 PPI, and a 1440p 5.7" Plus display, at 515 PPI.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you fine with the current resolution and do you wish that you had a higher resolution are somewhat different questions. I mean in my case I would probably answer yes to both questions.

3. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Although the Z5 prem has a 4K screen, it's not even noticeable. The current screens are fine for now but I don't really mind if they bumped it up, not fused either way and won't be a feature that'll draw me closer to other phones with higher resolution / dpi.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Plus is fine. 6 series could use a bump. SE definitely.

5. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Apple upgrade the screen resolution when they run out other features to upgrade! 2016 should be additional color(s) for 6SE aka Phone 7.

I see Apple doing a higher resolution screen in year 2020 to 1080p for 4.7" and 1440K for flagship model when their competitor flagship have 6K screens! If the 2016 model sells poorly, they will do the screen resolution next year just so it will help sales!

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

No. My iPhone 6 looks fine to me and I’m not going to have a sit down with my eyeballs to tell them that the world has changed and I am disappointed with their low bar standards.

7. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I'm fine with the current resolution however I would like Apple to bump the resolution to 1080p for both the 4" and 4.7" models.

I don't need/want a fancy 2K display because this would destroy the battery life and use a lot of GPU which is not worth the sacrifice. 400ppi is good enough for most people except the specs nerds.

And before someone mention it, I know 2K or even 4K is a necessity for VR but a fast phone with great battery life is more important to my eyes. Plus dedicated gaming machines will always be better at VR than any smartphone.

8. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I'm using a galaxy S7 and while it looks clearer than my 6S, I can't say it looks too much clearer and it appears very much the same as the 6S Plus. I know it's not, but if I hadn't seen a spec sheet I would have assumed they were the same. I hope Apple bumps the whole lineup to 1080p

9. MC355 macrumors member

I'm usually fine with the screen resolution until I look at a friend's Samsung Galaxy Note 5 or 7 edge. Then I wish Apple would move to AMOLED already. Why I might skip the iPhone 7 and wait for a better screen iPhone

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The jump to "retina" screens was a real, visible improvement. Now it's just gilding the lily to win spec wars. My 4, 4s, 5s, and 6s+ have all had great screens. The actual resolution it turns out made no practical difference.

11. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

I think the 4 inch should be 720p, the 4.7 should be 1080p, the 5.5 should be the Quad HD like the Galaxy s7.

I loved the original galaxy s amoled screens for a while, then hated them for how blue they looked, now with the huge improvements Samsung has made I am ready for an iphone with a amoled screen. I really hope the rumors for next year pan out and we get that.

Also I don't see the resolution changing this year on the phones, but I do think they will next year, even though this year would be better because the phone isn't going to have as much of a change as it will next year.

12. cynics macrumors G4

I never thought to myself "I wish this screen was a higher resolution" because I don't have a good reason that I'd need that. That said, I wouldn't mind if it was higher res if it didn't come with an negatives.

13. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Beyond retina resolution, what would you gain? Honestly, what would you gain from additional pixels that you can't see?

With higher resolution would only come greater inefficiencies such as greater data usage and more demanding video processing resulting in slower performance, more heat, and less battery life.

In my opinion there is little to gain and a lot to lose when any smartphone manufacturer makes "improvements" that have no positive user impacts but plenty of negative impacts -- simply to be able to say they did in the next glossy presentation.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Which particular question does that answer?

15. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

6S+ is just fine... Until you have used e.g. S7 and take your iphone back on your hand, then you see the difference. But for me, 6S+ is fine.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The resolution of my 6 seems perfectly fine to me, but that's probably because I haven't used a phone with better resolution for an extended period of time. Once you get used to a better display there's no going back.

But on the other hand, even on Android phones, displays smaller than 5" don't have 1080p or better resolution. How much of a difference does it make on small screens?

17. entropi macrumors 6502

No. The screen on my 6S+ is great enough and the batterylife doesn't need to be more crap than it already is.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

only time when it's an issue is if you have a s7 edge/S7 where you notice the difference.

still it's not bad, least it's 1080p on the plus models.

19. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

I remember the HTC One M7 which had a 1080p display with a 4.7 inch screen. I hope Apple will change the resolution of the 4.7 inch model to 1080p. They should get rid of the 3D Touch feature to make room for some extra battery capacity, to compensate for the more power demanding higher resolution display while keeping the phone relatively thin.

20. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The thread title, obviously.

Do you wish that your iPhone had a higher resolution screen?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2016 ---
    You mean you wish your iPhone was also a cheap piece of junk designed to last exactly 366 days?

21. lchlch macrumors 6502a

I don't really care.

Resolution only matter before we reached retina resolution. Increasing further is barely noticeable but present a significant load on the gpu. The only benefit I could think of for higher resolution is for vr applications.

I much rather they focused on things like contrast, color accuracy, true tone, reflectance, brightness, durability and maybe better oleophobic technologies.

Interesting fact, the z5 only uses 4K when viewing stuff like pictures. I believe Linus has a video that explains it better.