do you worry about getting jumped for your iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acorn, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I remember seeing on the news a women was at a train station and in daylight a bunch of thugs took her phone from her and basically rubbed it in her face before they just walked off with it. this isnt the first time ive read of this. another time i read a guy that got punched in the side of the head on a bus and they took his iphone in front of like 30 people on the bus.

do you worry about getting jumped for your phone?

2. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Honestly, sometimes I do.

I often check my pocket regularly to see if it's still there and at times get that split second sinking feeling in my stomach when I think it's not there.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

These things also happened before the iPhone existed. It's just that the media now has much more ways to inform people than before so you hear more about it.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't, but I also don't live in the hood. ;)

I am sure if I visited some questionable places, I might not feel so safe. Seems to me if you're going to get robbed, you are going to get robbed. Probably not a good idea to bust out your shiny, expensive phone in an area where there is more graffiti than paint.

5. maddog91 macrumors regular

No I'm not a girl lol...if i had a new iPhone that looked different maybe for the first few weeks I would be a bit more cautious when I take it in and out since I know people would see it and might want to see if i leave it somewhere but,no. If I'm ever in the ghetto ill make sure to not take it out period lol.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

More and more people are carrying $600 devices nowadays though. How many people had $600+ worth TOTAL on them 10+ years ago?

For me, you could steal everything on my person (with the eception of my iPhone) and get away with less than if you just took the contents of my left front pocket (which is where I keep my iPhone, for those that couldn't guess).

7. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Robbery snatch of iPhone is the #1 crime in most metropolises areas especially ones with subways and buses

8. maddog91 macrumors regular

Most of these people getting rob,get rob because they ask for it. Don't take your phone out in a subway,and if you do make sure its crowed where if someone tried to steal others can potentially help...Dont use apple issued headphones since thats a clear give away of whats in your pocket,ect...Simple steps to prevent theft. Place it in a front pocket where you can't get a hand in without KNOWING its there.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

No. The TV news wants you to live in fear. I refuse.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

12. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

When I catch public transport I generally have a laptop, iPad, iPhone and my Beats By Dre headphones, so am usually carrying $3000+ worth of gear at any given time.

My personal devices are insured for theft, but tbh, I am a big dude, so not many feel the urge to try and rob / hassle me.

I have had a few attempted muggings in my time, but generally talk them out of it.

13. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Well...

What happened for the times when you couldn't talk your way out of it? Just curious.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Not really, I live in a good area of a country with a fairly low crime rate. Being 6'7" doesn't hurt either :)

15. kulimer macrumors 6502

I used not to, but this week, 2 of my friends just got her iPhone robbed at lunch table on campus. Now, I do worry.

But, then again, all my friends have iPhone now when we hang out, so, I am less worried.

----------

There are only 2 choices: fight or flight. lol.

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

When I am in certain areas I will refrain from using my iPhone... figured best not to let anyone know you have it.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I don't worry, but I am really surprised it doesn't happen more often since its basically like your carrying a $500 bill in your pocket :confused:

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Someone should invent a 30 pin taser add-on for the iPhone.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I consult in Nursing Homes. So far not a single 85 year old has tried to jump me for my phone. :D

I can take them, anyway.:cool:

:rolleyes: ;)

20. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I prefer keychain pepper spray personally. Seemed pretty effective against the UC Davis protestors ;)

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I am buying my girlfriend an iPhone 4S for Christmas ... I will admit ... the thought of getting jumped on Christmas has crossed my mind :cool:

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

on a serious note, if someone sucker punched me in the side of the head on a bus in front of 30 people, there would likely be 30 witnesses to me shooting at least one of them as I was in fear for my life.

I travel in busy cities a lot for business and never feel uneasy. Just beware your surroundings and if you have permit, carry and keep it handy. I often have my backpack over my shoulder and my hand on my gun in my shoulder holster concealed under my jacket.

23. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

More concerned about pickpockets than muggers. I often check my pocket in public places, or simply have my hand held over the phone constantly.

24. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

You've been mugged, but you talked them out of it? What? :/

25. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I thought only Forrest Gump could talk a mugger into changing their mind :D