Does anyone else think there is a big unannounced feature of iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by brylliant, Jul 30, 2012.

1. brylliant, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

Last year, Siri was the big unannounced feature of iOS 5. It was announced along side the iPhone 4S and we know it's part of iOS 5 because of it's deep integration.

Do you think Apple is holding off on another big feature, possibly for the next iPhone, this year too?
    What do you think that feature might be?

iPhone OS 2
    • GPS in Maps

iPhone OS 3:
    • Tap to autofocus
    • Voice Control
    • Compass
    • Nike+
    • Video Recording

iOS 4:
    • FaceTime

iOS 5:
    • Face detection and video stabilization
    • Siri and Voice dictation
    • AirPlay video mirroring
    • 1080p video playback

iOS 6:
    • Take photos while recording video (iPhone 5 only)
    • Panorama mode (iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch 5G and The new iPad)

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

This thread is pointless. Of course there is an unannounced feature. :rolleyes:

3. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

So in other words, you don't think there will be. :)

Chances are, naturally, that there is at least one unannounced feature. And it's probably tied to the next iPhone.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

This happens with every release.
    There are no unannounced features, except those that are related to the new iPhone.

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Yes, there will be. There will be features that the 4S doesn't get. These will be in the 6th gen iphone. How many? Best guess is 1-3

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Lol, I guess you didn't understand what I said. I guess when I said "Of course there is an unannounced feature" it meant nothing.

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    exactly. Every single new iPhone has been released with new software features (except for maybe the iPhone 3G. I can't think of anything off hand... I guess the precise GPS dot? Previously your location was only approximated with wifi). But I don't think it would be quite the same as saying a new iOS 6 feature, it'll just be an iPhone 5 feature.

The biggest possibility is obviously software associated with NFC. I'm also thinking possibly panaramic picture taking.

8. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    why not? Sure I wouldn't get too excited about the wallet portion (at least until it becomes an ubiquitous way to pay with all the merchants), but there is a lot of other cool stuff apple is working on that could make NFC a pretty major feature.

10. brylliant thread starter macrumors regular

brylliant

They've technically given away NFC with the Passbook app.

11. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

Probably NFC, hopefully LTE.

In terms of will we see overhauled apps like YouTube, Calendar, Camera, Settings, Weather, Stocks, etc... I seriously doubt it. And that's too bad. All of those badly need an upgrade.

I really wish Apple would just go and find the best apps and just make them first party. Get The Weather Channel team to integrate the app into the iOS. Get the Camera+ team to integrate to replace Apple's pisspoor camera app. And so on and so forth.

12. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I think you were being sarcastic, so I was trying to say you didn't have to be. My second sentence was a separate thought more in response to the OP.

13. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

LTE, NFC, iSight HD for the front facing camera, and the upgraded connector that probably comes in premium Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 flavors. I doubt there's anything else, particularly with Maps and turn-by-turn thrown in and the new iTunes they'll also have to demo. Of course, there's always the upgraded processor and upgraded rear camera too.

Apple is so far behind other cutting edge phones right now that they don't have to think very hard to bake in major, new features, so it's not hard to suss out what they'll be.

Next year, they'll have to get more creative. Next year, we'll probably see the major iOS overhaul everyone has wanted for years because what else are they going to do? They'll put in a quad-core processor, which realistically the iPhone doesn't even need, and what? 3D? There aren't new technologies itching to get into new phones like there have been the last couple of years. This one is Apple's big attempt to catch up.

As for software improvements I'd like to see, I'd like to see Notifications syncing across devices, so I can both see them all at once regardless of device and delete them all at once regardless of device. Perhaps somehow that will get baked into the new iTunes, but I doubt it. Seems like a lock for OS X 10.9 + iOS 7 though.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

This is in iOS 6 if I'm not mistaken.

15. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Cool. I hope that's true for third party apps too, and also carries over to OS X for things like email and Twitter.

16. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

NFC. The next iPhone, will be the only one that can use the feature as it will have the chip.

17. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

....and make them so they're not regularly updateable either? :p

18. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Better off not guessing. It's better if it comes as a surprise.

19. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Nope, it only works with Messages, every other notification doesn't work like that. Even then you can't clear the notification on both device unless you read it. It would be nice if they cleared everywhere simply by clearing it from the NC rather than the app.

20. barjam macrumors regular

Isn't LTE a given? I wouldn't even consider an non LTE phone going forward.

21. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

The whole point of rumor sites are to figure out new products and features before they are announced.

22. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Wow this is awesome! The thing that is really annoying rite now is when I log in into my imessage on my mac it just keep downloading old imessage from my account :eek: and it takes forever too. Hope it will work well with ios 6 and ML.

23. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I can see that you love your Mac. :)

24. bapesta macrumors newbie

unannounced feature would be lower battery life in ios6... i doubt apple would ever announce that!

25. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

Apple has stopped doing the "One more thing..." since Steve passed away.

I was expecting something with the iPad 3 but it was all the same. I hope they come up with something huge for iOS 6/iPhone