Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
I'm only asking this because I have an iPad mini 2 128gb and was thinking about either keeping it or changing it to an iPad mini 4... I just got an iPad Pro 12.9 256gb and I really love it. I just like keeping a small iPad with me for small stuff. I just realized that when I was looking on bestbuy again, there was an open-box pricing for the 128gb of the iPad Pro 9.7 for 659.99 or the certified one for 679.99 and with the student $100 discount, the price becomes a bit less than the price of an iPad mini 4 of the same size. If I were to upgrade my iPad mini, I was gonna sell that one. What should I do? LOL. I know it's obvious that it's weird having 2 iPads, but eh. I just want to know what others think. What other owners who have more than 1.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I have both.

256gb LTE 9.7" iPP for all on the go purposes, take it to work every day, on trips etc.

32gb wifi 12.9" which I use when I'm at home.

If I wasn't so into comics and manga I would just have the one, the 9.7", but reading comics on the 12.9" is soooooo good it justifies (for me) the hefty price of entry. The 9.7'' is pretty good for comics etc, but the 12.9" is on another level altogether and is the kind of device I've wanted for this purpose all my life.

In times past I had a Mini 2, loved it, but once the Plus size phones came along I could never be bothered carrying the Mini with me. Yes, there's stuff that's a lot better on the Mini over the Plus, and stuff you flat can't do on the phone, but the difference was slight enough that carrying it wasn't worth the hassle.

Syncing the 2 iPads isn't much of a hassle given most of my large iPP usage is browsing, Overcast podcasts (which syncs automatically) and reading. I keep no video on the 12.9".

I love both, but have to say personally I'd find the 12.9" way too big to use on the go. I find home is a controlled environment and have no problem toting it around the house with me, but find it too big and cumbersome to use when travelling.

Last edited:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Yegon -
I have both.

256gb LTE 9.7" iPP for all on the go purposes, take it to work every day, on trips etc.

32gb wifi 12.9" which I use when I'm at home.

If I wasn't so into comics and manga I would just have the one, the 9.7", but reading comics on the 12.9" is soooooo good it justifies (for me) the hefty price of entry. The 9.7'' is pretty good for comics etc, but the 12.9" is on another level altogether and is the kind of device I've wanted for this purpose all my life.

In times past I had a Mini 2, loved it, but once the Plus size phones came along I could never be bothered carrying the Mini with me. Yes, there's stuff that's a lot better on the Mini over the Plus, and stuff you flat can't do on the phone, but the difference was slight enough that carrying it wasn't worth the hassle.

Syncing the 2 iPads isn't much of a hassle given most of my large iPP usage is browsing, Overcast podcasts (which syncs automatically) and reading. I keep no video on the 12.9".

I love both, but have to say personally I'd find the 12.9" way too big to use on the go. I find home is a controlled environment and have no problem toting it around the house with me, but find it too big and cumbersome to use when travelling.
Interesting you mention reading comics. That's primarily what I use my iPad for, and was thinking about getting the 12.9" for it.

Can you tell any difference in screen quality between the 9.7 and the 12.9? I know the 9.7 is newer and the screen has a few improved specs to the screen on the 12.9, but I was curious if anything was really noticeable to the eye, if you looked at them side by side?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yegon -

Interesting you mention reading comics. That's primarily what I use my iPad for, and was thinking about getting the 12.9" for it.

Can you tell any difference in screen quality between the 9.7 and the 12.9? I know the 9.7 is newer and the screen has a few improved specs to the screen on the 12.9, but I was curious if anything was really noticeable to the eye, if you looked at them side by side?

True Tone is great on the 9.7" and ideally it'd already be on the 12.9". I don't find that it's absence on the larger one makes it a notably worse experience though.

Colours do appear slightly better on the 9.7" but the difference is only really noticeable when I've them side by side.

However, where I do notice a difference is in apps that haven't been optimised for the larger iPad. Marvel Unlimited, for example, looks better on the smaller one as it's not yet been optimised for the 12.9". Images look ever so slightly blurrier on the 12.9", but varies dependent on the quality of the source. Nearest comparison I can think of is on a rMBP, at default res it's a little crisper than scaled ie. 2880x1800, that has screen real estate of 1440x900, is crisper than the scaled res of 1680x1050.

Comic Zeal, in contrast, has been optimised for the 12.9" and looks tremendous. I'm rereading high quality scans of Preacher at the moment and I still pinch myself sometimes as the experience really is that good. It doesn't have the tangible quality of having the comic in your hand, but otherwise it's absolutely an equal experience to the real thing for me, something the 9.7" fell slightly short of imo due to the smaller size.

I should add, the minimal drop in quality of Marvel U on the 12.9" is more than made up for by the sheer size advantage of the larger screen. Plus, I'm sure it'll be optimised eventually - surprised it hasn't been already tbh since comics are absolutely tremendous on the 12.9" and Marvel U should be a showpiece app.

Last edited:

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I have both. I had purchased the 12.9" in January, and love the huge screen of course. I previously had an Air 1 (now sold). The keyboard is decent, and the pen is great of course (I don't draw, so it doesn't get used for a ton, but it's nice to have for photo retouching via AstroPad).

The only downside is of course that it can be a bit large for grabbing on the go. It's still smaller than my Macbook Pro 15" of course, but it's still not small.

With the 9.7", I decided to give it a whirl. I figured I'd probably just downsize, go more portable, and sell the 12.9". But now that I have both, I really can see uses for them both.

The 12.9" is better at home. For viewing, the big screen is awesome. I use my iPad occasionally for reading sheet music, and the larger iPad Pro is fantastic for that. I also use Lemur to create touch screen interfaces for various music software control, and the bigger screen is awesome for that too.

The 9.7" is of course the standard iPad size. It feels so tiny after using the 12.9" for a while, but it's still a great size.

Having both is a great option, but obviously, it's quite an investment to make.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Thanks for those replies! It's interesting that the screen on the 9.7 is definitely better than the 12.9, but perhaps not significantly so - although obviously the 12.9 will upgraded at the next revision to match features.

I assume, anyway!

I've used an iPad Air the last couple of years, but I've just given it to my wife, and I really need to bite the bullet and get a 12.9 Pro. Question is whether to wait until September-ish to see whether the 9.7 and 12.9 will be aligned in terms of tech specs, or whether the differences really are negligible anyway.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Good thread.

For the owners of both iPad Pros that might be reading, I have a question (if the OP does not mind my piggybacking):

How much more readable is the 9.7 in direct sunlight, outdoors compared to the 12.9?

Is the screen a pleasure to read outside on a nice sunny day or is it tolerable/possible but not necessarily desirable?
I belive the 9.7 screen is supposed to have a lower reflectance in addition to a wider color gamut and true tone.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I had the 12.9, returned it for the 9.7 which I still have and love but miss the 12.9. Today I got a great deal on a brand new 12.9. Couldn't resist!

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Comic Zeal, in contrast, has been optimised for the 12.9" and looks tremendous. I'm rereading high quality scans of Preacher at the moment and I still pinch myself sometimes as the experience really is that good. It doesn't have the tangible quality of having the comic in your hand, but otherwise it's absolutely an equal experience to the real thing for me, something the 9.7" fell slightly short of imo due to the smaller size.

I should add, the minimal drop in quality of Marvel U on the 12.9" is more than made up for by the sheer size advantage of the larger screen. Plus, I'm sure it'll be optimised eventually - surprised it hasn't been already tbh since comics are absolutely tremendous on the 12.9" and Marvel U should be a showpiece app.

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the same page on the 9.7 and the 12.9 in comic zeal. Just curious how it looks

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Here you go. Both taken at max brightness. Doesn't really do it justice though, looks a lot less yellow irl.

Image not posting so here's a link.

http://imgur.com/u39LlAE

script>

Last edited:
Reactions: jozero

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
You guys with both Pro's, which do you use most? And is it 12.9 at home 9.7 when out and about? I feel a little "guilty" (if you know what I mean?) having both (not got my 12.9 yet). When I did have the 12.9 I sold because I couldn't justify having both but ever since selling the 12.9 I've missed it!

Don't know how I'll use both? Just pick up whichever one I feel ,I've at the time maybe? Just interested about why those who've bought both did so?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
As you say, 12.9" all the time at home, 9.7" for everywhere else. The larger is a 32gb wifi, the smaller 256gb LTE.

It's an utter extravagance, but I certainly get my money's worth from them. If I only had one, it'd be the 9.7" simply because I find the 12.9" far too big and unwieldy outside of a defined, controlled environment like home.

I'd wait till the next iteration of the larger one now though if I was in your shoes.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
As you say, 12.9" all the time at home, 9.7" for everywhere else. The larger is a 32gb wifi, the smaller 256gb LTE.

It's an utter extravagance, but I certainly get my money's worth from them. If I only had one, it'd be the 9.7" simply because I find the 12.9" far too big and unwieldy outside of a defined, controlled environment like home.

I'd wait till the next iteration of the larger one now though if I was in your shoes.

Yeah, I was going to but managed to get a 128GB wifi and cellular brand new for £550, ($725?). Such a great price I couldn't resist.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Oh it's worth it at that price, good buy! The current one may lack the True Tone screen of the inevitable successor and whatever else comes in the next version, but I think the 4gb ram means the current one will perform well for a long time.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Got my (second) 12.9 Pro today. God I missed it! Love the extra real estate. Only thing now is to look out for an Apple keyboard. Missed out on one on eBay. May end up buying from Apple again.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Man this thread is really making me want to keep both

Air 2 paid for pro 12.9 when I sold it

And just got a 32 wifi 9.7 for 405 after tax. Loving it. Missed 9.7

But 12.9 is so awesome sometimes like landscape

jeanha124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
So I currently picked up a barely used 12.9 smart keyboard for $50 and ordered a 9.7 smart keyboard for $89 on ebay like a couple days ago. I'm not sure if I should cancel that order or not. Is it worth keeping the 9.7? Since I know that the 12.9 keyboard works with the 9.7 version of the iPad Pro.

I ordered the UAG cases for both iPad Pros and even skins for the back. I recently got the CREATE keyboard for the 12.9 as well for like $65.

I know that for the 12.9 iPad Pro, I can switch off between the smart keyboard and the CREATE one.

However, I'm not sure if the 9.7 version is worth it. I'm gonna have the UAG case on it, so it'll have a cover/back cover. What do you guys think? Do you think I should cancel the order? or just keep it and use it for the 9.7?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Traded in my 12.9 for the 9.7 and no regrets. With my 12.9 I felt I never used my macbook pro but now my macbook gets used everyday with my 9.7 and 7 plus. So for me going down to 9.7 was ideal and needed. Love the size of the 9.7 for most tasks. Think my ipad pro 9.7 gets the most use out of all my devices overall but now I only use whatsapp using whatsapp on my macbook means I find I use it a lot for this.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I also have both. Started out with the 9.7 but wanted something a bit bigger for multi-screen use that wasn't so cramped, so I traded in an old iPhone and got the 12.9 and keyboard and keep that in my office as my "laptop". I keep the 9.7 in my kitchen. I find that I can carry that one around and use it as my kindle book-reader around the house. I know having two is an extravagance, but I find that I do use both. Have a MacBook Pro that I have essentially cleaned out and put away and will give to one of my kids if they need it.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
So I currently picked up a barely used 12.9 smart keyboard for $50 and ordered a 9.7 smart keyboard for $89 on ebay like a couple days ago. I'm not sure if I should cancel that order or not. Is it worth keeping the 9.7? Since I know that the 12.9 keyboard works with the 9.7 version of the iPad Pro.

I ordered the UAG cases for both iPad Pros and even skins for the back. I recently got the CREATE keyboard for the 12.9 as well for like $65.

I know that for the 12.9 iPad Pro, I can switch off between the smart keyboard and the CREATE one.

However, I'm not sure if the 9.7 version is worth it. I'm gonna have the UAG case on it, so it'll have a cover/back cover. What do you guys think? Do you think I should cancel the order? or just keep it and use it for the 9.7?

I didn't know that the 12.9 keyboard works with the 9.7 pro?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
True Tone is great on the 9.7" and ideally it'd already be on the 12.9". I don't find that it's absence on the larger one makes it a notably worse experience though.

Colours do appear slightly better on the 9.7" but the difference is only really noticeable when I've them side by side.

However, where I do notice a difference is in apps that haven't been optimised for the larger iPad. Marvel Unlimited, for example, looks better on the smaller one as it's not yet been optimised for the 12.9". Images look ever so slightly blurrier on the 12.9", but varies dependent on the quality of the source. Nearest comparison I can think of is on a rMBP, at default res it's a little crisper than scaled ie. 2880x1800, that has screen real estate of 1440x900, is crisper than the scaled res of 1680x1050.

Thank you for that awesome review. Planning on buying an iPP 12.9 for American comics (9.7 is a good enough size for manga which are typically smaller) but I'm waiting for March to see if Apple's gonna release a new version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.