Does anyone know anything about tadpole metamorphosis?

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
I have a leopard frog tadpole thats been a tadpole for over half a year now with no change. It's in the one gallon tank that it came with and gets weekly water changes as per the instructions. This thing just refuses to change into a frog. Anyone have any clue?
68C75464-0EDC-4DA4-B949-10433E4197C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
This is a fascinating thread.

Has that particular species any specific characteristics that may cause a delay in the process of metamorphosis?

Also, as a general observation, do such changes occur more readily in spring rather than in autumn heading into winter?

From what I have read, in the northern hemisphere, I cannot imagine any animal or amphibian (or plant) choosing to undergo such dramatic and energy demanding changes in the late autumn; spring would strike me as a more usual time for such a thing to take place.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is a fascinating thread.

Has that particular species any specific characteristics that may cause a delay in the process of metamorphosis?

Also, as a general observation, do such changes occur more readily in spring rather than in autumn heading into winter?

From what I have read, in the northern hemisphere, I cannot imagine any animal or amphibian (or plant) choosing to undergo such dramatic and energy demanding changes in the late autumn; spring would strike me as a more usual time for such a thing to take place.
Dudley Tadpole maybe glancing at his calendar. A good clue to explore. :) However if he has been around for 6 months he did have had an adequate opportunity to change. My understanding is that frogs hibernate in the winter, so maybe timing of metamorphosis for reproduction purposes is not that critical, but as you might tell, I’m guessing. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Dudley Tadpole maybe glancing at his calendar. A good clue to explore. :) However if he has been around for 6 months he did have had an adequate opportunity to change. My understanding is that frogs hibernate in the winter, so maybe timing of metamorphosis for reproduction purposes is not that critical, but as you might tell, I’m guessing. :)
Well, I would be rather surprised if the tadpole changed form before spring. The OP says he has had the tadpole for half a year, but I am not sure at what time of the year such changes are supposed to occur.

How old was the tadpole when the OP got it? Have there been any changes at all - i.e. - increases in size - during the time that the OP has had the tadpole?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It’s because of the chemicals in the drinking water. A reliable source told me they’re turning the frikking frogs gay.
@WarHeadz, did you read up on tadpole rearing? I can easily imagine unprepared tap water having chemicals that interfere with metamorphosis. In minnesota they gathered and looked for deformed frogs in ponds/lakes as an indicator of contaminated water.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
@WarHeadz, did you read up on tadpole rearing? I can easily imagine unprepared tap water having chemicals that interfere with metamorphosis. In minnesota they gathered and looked for deformed frogs in ponds/lakes as an indicator of contaminated water.
I should have mentioned in the OP, I add a solution to the water to condition it. It came with the tadpole as well. I bought the whole kit from naturegifts.com

I’m surprised at all the replies here!
[doublepost=1541350743][/doublepost]
Well, I would be rather surprised if the tadpole changed form before spring. The OP says he has had the tadpole for half a year, but I am not sure at what time of the year such changes are supposed to occur.

How old was the tadpole when the OP got it? Have there been any changes at all - i.e. - increases in size - during the time that the OP has had the tadpole?
His back legs grew a little in the time I had him. Just checked the receipt, I got him in June. So not 6 months yet, about 4.5.
[doublepost=1541351192][/doublepost]
Maybe your tadpole has a faulty thyroid gland, or some environmental factor is preventing metamorphosis from kicking in?

https://carnegiescience.edu/projects/how-hormones-control-metamorphosis-frogs-and-toads
That could very well be the problem. Seems like the company is sending me another tadpole so I’ll have two of them soon:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
His back legs grew a little in the time I had him. Just checked the receipt, I got him in June. So not 6 months yet, about 4.5.
How old was he when you got him?

And what information (if any) were you given at the time?

Candidly, I would be surprised if further change occurred before spring. However, if the back legs have appeared (and they appear first), then the process of transformation should be - to some extent - already underway.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
How old was he when you got him?

And what information (if any) were you given at the time?

Candidly, I would be surprised if further change occurred before spring. However, if the back legs have appeared (and they appear first), then the process of transformation should be - to some extent - already underway.
When I got him the back legs had already started growing. He’s been stuck in the same place ever since.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
When I got him the back legs had already started growing. He’s been stuck in the same place ever since.
If his (his/ hers? its?) back legs had started growing then the transition or transformation or metamorphosis was in train; I am curious as to why it may have become arrested.

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Interesting thread actually. It made me google to read up a little...as I’m sure you already have. Some sources mentioned things from too cold of water to not enough food to delayed metamorphosis due to wintering over (they finish next spring) to a genetic problem.

You kinda sucked me in so I hope you provide updates.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
What a nice little pet :)
I think this guy is planning on going full leopard soon, skipping the frog part altogether :D

Reactions: Gutwrench

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Interesting thread actually. It made me google to read up a little...as I’m sure you already have. Some sources mentioned things from too cold of water to not enough food to delayed metamorphosis due to wintering over (they finish next spring) to a genetic problem.

You kinda sucked me in so I hope you provide updates.
I’ve checked so many sources, I’m starting to think it’s a genetic issue. I guess we’ll find out soon because the company is sending another tadpole as per their warranty,

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I’ve checked so many sources, I’m starting to think it’s a genetic issue. I guess we’ll find out soon because the company is sending another tadpole as per their warranty,
Fair enough.

Will you keep No 1? If only to see whether he/she/it does proceed with the process of metamorphosis this coming spring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.