Does anyone own both an iPhone and iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ggibson913, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

My contract with verizon is running out soon and i was thinking of the iPhone. I already own the iPad which I like to read on and watch movies and hulu. Does anyone own both? What have you found to be the benefits of owning both? Thanks.

G

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

3. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

haha so true, i have both and love it!

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

You use the iphone less for casual web browsing if you had the two. I know I do!

5. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

I have no interest in watching a movie on a 3" screen, but the iPhone 4 has been awesome for me. I really rely on the thing.

It really is the best smartphone out there, IMHO. All the newer smart phones and plans are pretty evenly priced, so it's a matter of comparison shopping and finding the right "fit" for your needs.

You've already listed the benefits of the iPad.

6. SdPunk macrumors member

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That size does indeed matter.

8. P140897 macrumors member

I have both and mostly I use the iPhone to make calls of course :D and to browse the web while on the go but when im at home i use my ipad on wifi mostly and to watch movies the bigger screen is surely way better!

Hope this helps

9. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I have pretty much the same uses, but i dont check my e-mails on my MBP anymore, i use my iPad exclusively for e-mails. love it!

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have both and use them for different things

I like my iPhone for calls of course :rolleyes: but also for the easy connectivity for text and email

I use the iPad for email as well, but I can use it for more productivity
    I use DropBox for work presentations
    Internet browsing, news reading, book reading, SketchBook and more

Wouldn't want to be without either one

11. jamied95 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4 & iPad - and I never use the iPad, too much overlap...

12. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I have both an iPhone 4 and a 3G iPad. I use both on a daily basis.

My iPhone has basically been my personal assistant since the first one in 2007. It has all my contacts, mail, and apps that make my life easier. It also keeps me in touch with what's happening in the world with apps. Mine is integrated with Google Voice and is vital to my communication.

The iPad is my consumption device. When I want to read an article, watch Hulu Plus or Netflix, the iPad is what I pick up. I also have it jailbroken to run MyWi as I travel a lot and refuse to pay for crappy wifi at hotels. The 3G (I'm lucky enough to have kept my unlimited data plan) is a real life saver for me. I originally bought the wifi only version but returned it and waited for the 3G model.

I would seriously think about waiting until after CES in January to see if Verizon will or will not get the iPhone.

13. ggibson913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll have to get the iPhone and just see if I use my iPad much anymore. As far as verizon getting the iPhone, I believe it makes sense once VZW gets it's 4g rolled out but not before. I think VZW is probably the source of the rumors in the first place lol.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

My 30 days just ran out today and I'm not taking my iPhone back. I've had 2 dropped calls in a month, which is 2 more than I had in 10 years with Verizon, but the service is good enough around the Detroit area I can stick with At&t.

I also have an iPad. I like the iPhone 4 better and don't use the iPad as often. But if I'm reading an ebook, I take out the iPad as I like the larger (though only slightly higher resolution) screen a lot better. My iPad killed my netbook. It's collecting dust waiting for me to get freed up enough to sell it on craigslist or ebay. My iPhone 4 killed my iPod Touch but not my iPad. I use my iPad less often, but I still use it enough to justify having both.

Size does matter. The iPhone 4 is pocketable. I can have it with me everywhere. I keep a MobileMe subscription active so all my contacts and calendar data automagically shows up on every device, including my Macbook. If you have to choose a single device, get an iPhone. If you can afford two devices, there is nothing wrong with having an iPhone and an iPad.

As for VZW iPhone rumors, don't hold your breath. Recently, At&t dropped their data pricing. To me that is designed to be competitive when they are no longer the only iPhone game in town. As evidence goes, everything we have suggesting a VZW iPhone is rather sketchy and pathetic. If one comes out early in 2011, I won't mind one bit. I will have enjoyed 4 full months without my archaic blackberry and without two devices crammed into one pocket. Come to think of it, I already wiped my BB 8830, I had better get it listed on ebay while it's still worth something.

15. sn0wman72 macrumors member

I have both an iPad and an iPhone 3G. The iPhone is of course a phone and I use it additionally for texting and email. For me I really only use the iPad when traveling as it consistently seems to have better 3G service then the iPhone. So when on the road the iPad is used for email. As far as a web device I much prefer my MacBook (soon to be replaced with a 13" MacBook Pro)

16. bt22 macrumors 6502

Gave my wife my iPhone 3G when I got the iPhone 4. Love the iPhone 4. Me my wife and daughter enjoy the iPad a lot. Typically my wife and daughter are arguing over the iPad. Will probably get another when Apple releases version 2.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I own both and I love both equally.

The iPhone is the perfect on the go device and since its my phone it goes everywhere with me. (I feel naked without it...). I've used it to check ingredients for recipes while I was in the grocery store, or to look up a fact to prove a friend wrong while at the bar.

The iPad is perfect for going to a friends house and not wanting to lug a laptop with you (we are all geeks so obviously we all need internet while drinking and playing games and watching horror movies :p ) and its also perfect for when I take it snowboarding this winter. I will be carrying snowboarding and camera gear and don't want to lug a fat laptop with me however I will need internet access and would like something bigger then my phone.

I also use my iPad daily for laying in bed and watching movies streamed from my computer.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I have both and I love them.

My only gripe is that Apple iTools stopped being free for so long time ago I cannot remember, and while I have never ever even considered paying for it it is just so wrong that Apple keeps advertising features (that used to be free) that belong to the ridiculously priced MobileMe package.

Sure, I would love to use few of the features, but for that price? C'mon...

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just putting it out there,
    one makes a great phone, and the other makes a good... umm.. whatever device, you know :D

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I have an iPad, an iPhone4, a Blackberry and a PC. I use my blackberry exclusively for work email (and an occasional personal email), since my work doesn't support iPhone. I use my iPhone for calls and internet when not at home, since the BB sucks for web browsing and my work web is very restricted. At home I almost always use my iPad. I bought the 3G but after the first month when I was forced to buy the unlimited or lose it, it never leaves the house.

What I almost never use is my PC. I only use it to watch recorded TV since I don't have cable and record network programs and sports.

So I'd say the real victim is my PC.

The iPad is awesome.

21. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

I have an iPhone 4, an 27" iMac (at home) and a 3G & Wifi iPad I use at work, in airport lounges and during long-haul flights. Using the iPad during meetings is awesome !

22. GLS macrumors 6502

23. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Why not just use MyWi to turn the iPhone into a WiFi hotspot for the iPad?

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because that requires jailbreaking and not everyone wants to do that.

25. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The iPhone can be use as a stand alone camera, A GPS, it's more Portable, it's a phone! (who woulda though?), Takes HD video.

The iPad is close to the same but with a better experience and greater real estate display