Does anyone's RMBP have dead pixels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xcelerate, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Xcelerate macrumors regular

A few dead pixels don't bother me, but what is odd is that I haven't heard of anyone receiving a Retina Macbook with any dead pixels at all. With a lot of displays, occasionally somebody gets one, so I thought I'd see if any of you all have noticed this (or if Apple's quality check is really that good).

2. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Good point. Given that there's 4x more pixels than usual, the chance of a deal pixel should be 4 times higher.

Perhaps they're so small that most people don't notice them?

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Not necessarily, since Apple pays more for these displays, the quality standards will be higher. My iPad never had a dead pixel.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would imagine that the quality control is really high right now since these are a new model of display, probably from a new production process, and they're going into pretty expensive products.

That may even factor in to why these machines are so hard to get right now. If they're having to discard/recycle half of the display panels that are produced at the factory it will take them a while to catch up with demand.

5. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Overall, they don't. Officially, I believe it's 3 dead pixels that are considered acceptable. They won't replace a display with 3 or less unless they happen to be in particularly bad spots (right in the center or directly over an interface element for the user). In practice, of course, sometimes they will replace a display if the customer complains anyways, but that's their official policy, from what I remember.

EDIT: Meant to add that this may not apply to the retina displays, but nothing has been published yet about them.

jW

7. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I really hope this is the issue with the new displays, when I got the iPad 3, I had a HUGE issue with dead pixels on the display, paying $1000 for the top of the line iPad is one thing (and still unacceptable), but I would expect a $3.5K laptop screen to be pixel perfect, otherwise, it would be ridiculous.

8. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

If you look at the Catleap monitors being sold, you will notice they are the "A-" quality. They are the same panels that go to Apple, but Apple gets the "A+" panels. So in general, the panels that Apple gets have a very good chance at being "perfect". You of course pay about 3x more at retail for that panel.

9. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

That's a bad expectation to have.

Buying devices with more expensive components does not necessarily imply that more money goes into the quality assurance (this *may* be the case, but it's far from guaranteed). It means more money goes into more expensive components, that's all. Their defect rates are exactly the same by default (unless Apple compensates).

So a $130 iPod nano has the least chance of dead pixels just because it has a lower number of them, everything else being equal.

It really baffles me when people expect a more expensive upgraded model (i.e. more RAM, bigger SSD, faster CPU) to be more reliable or less failure-prone than the base model. They're just more expensive components, that's all.

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

FWIW (almost nothing), my RMBP has no dead or stuck pixels. Edge-to-edge gorgeous.

11. zahque macrumors member

mine as well. and as was noted above, the pixels on the retina are 25% of the pixel size on "standard" MBP, meaning that a single dead pixel, even in a somewhat central location, may not be obvious.

12. bioyuki macrumors member

No dead pixels here but it does have some weird unevenness on one side of the panel when I look at a single color background. Might be that the panel isn't perfectly flat and there's slight pressure being put on it by the housing?

13. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well that's quite a leap.

You have magically deduced that the higher price of the panel is most certainly due to reliability and not anything like lets say ... Performance?

14. TSloper macrumors member

15. Leobul26 macrumors newbie

I just had 2 dead pixels I bout from bestbuy on Saturday I am so piss I have to call bestbuy to check if they have replacement

16. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I've had 3 Macs, 5 iPhones, and an iPad. Not one has ever had a dead pixel.

17. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

If each quadrant of the panels has .1% chance of having a dead pixel.

P(No dead pixels) = .999^4
    != 4*P(No dead pixels in one quadrant)

As you can see that as resolution increases the chances of getting a faulty panel increases exponentially. This is why they can pump out millions upon millions of high density LCDs in the <4" form factor but so high density displays that are larger.

18. NTurner42 macrumors regular

NTurner42

Even if it had a dead pixel, you shouldn't even be able to see it on a retina display, correct?

19. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Correct, you'd need to have at least two right next to each other. I guess if you put your nose up to the screen when you conducted the experiment you might be able to spot dead pixels.

20. Naish84 macrumors newbie

No! A dead pixel bright red on the middle of the screen is surely noticeable! when I pay so much for a notebook it must be perfect, on the first 14 days ( here in Italy you have 14 days to return it on an online purchase) i always deeply test it!

A dead pixel could even lower your resale value, check your display and if it has one return it.

As other people already said: I could accept a dead pixel on a 400$ notebook, on a 2500$ no way...

This is my opinion.

Sorry for my English ;)

21. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

You'd need a cluster of four dead pixels to even see them right? This is the new retina display yes? Unable to discern pixels on account of 4x the density? So you'd need a magnifying glass to even know?

22. kasibald macrumors newbie

Germany here.

Had a Base Model with dead Pixel in Black, as for the Resolution
    of Retina this must have been a bunch of Pixels.

Returned it to the Apple Store and got it exchanged for new one,
    without any problems. :)

23. Blue604 macrumors regular

My Iphone 3G had 1 dead pixel and exchanged it.

and another one with dust inside screen. I think it was just poor quality control.

Hope my new rMBP is perfect.

24. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

At normal viewing distances....

25. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

Yes. The funeral was last Wednesday. It was a very sombre affair.