Does Apple Think People Are Dumb?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yustas, Sep 7, 2010.

1. yustas macrumors regular

So, the review is in and basically iPod Touch kind of sucks, but apparently Apple thinks that people will pay top price for it anyway. Why? Because you do not have any other choices.

So, what does it say about what Apple thinks about its customers. Here is a quote from the review:

"Obviously this is not the same lens or sensor as the iPhone 4, and when we asked Apple about it, they said it was more a consideration of size rather than cost. According to Greg Jozwiak, using something closer to the iPhone 4's sensor would have made the casing for the touch considerably larger. The camera is also fixed focus rather than auto-focus, which means that tapping on the screen has no discernible result except for altering the white balance and exposure. Oh, and there's no flash to be found. Around front, the phone sports a VGA camera (similar to that of the iPhone), but again this is a fix-focused lens."

Really, Apple? Really?

Who the FRACK cares about how thin it is? We are talking about iPod Touch, not America's Next Top Model. Does Apple really think that people care more about thinnest than functionality? According to the review, the display and both cameras basically suck compared to iPhone. There is also no GPS.

Why?

Clearly, despite the fact that iPhone needs a piece of duct tape or some "bumber" to work properly, it is a huge success, and, it is not thin.

Why does Apple expect people to pay $399 for iPod Touch 64 GB and not get the same functionality as you get on iPhone, minus the phone part, of course. Apple, please, do not treat people as if we are a bunch of clueless morons. I think we deserve an excuse that sounds intelligent and plausible. The "thinnest" thingy is insulting.

2. Evo-L macrumors member

If you dont care how thin it is, carry a DSLR in your pocket

3. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Actually...the iPhone 4 is the thinnest smartphone on the market. So Apple obsession with thinness obviously did affect the iPhone as well. Also it's obvious Apple did all these not only because of thinness but to differentiate the two.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The iPhone is their flagship pocket device. They won't outdo it with an iPod, plus, who really buys an iPod touch to do much of anything other than play games, watch videos and listen to music. Very few people will actually use video recording, maybe take a few pics (but their phone will have a nicer camera anyway), and who is going to notice the difference with facetime?

5. fwoppers macrumors member

Aside from
    1) The lack of IPS display (which isn't even a big deal, at all)
    2) The camera (which isn't a huge deal to me. It's good *enough* for quick snaps of whatever I need to twitpic,etc)
    3) GPS

The iPhone Touch does a descent job of attempting an 'iPhone without the Phone' stance. Good price, good hardware. Good enough for me to drop a bunch of money on it tomorrow morning (my first iDevice, btw)

6. earth.razer macrumors newbie

Problem is the iPod is decent at recording video but suck at taking pics. Also their phones should not have a nicer camera, because most people that get iPod touches don't have top notch smartphones, otherwise they just make the touch unnecessary.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Maybe the reason that you don't get as much when you pay $400 for a 64GB iPod Touch as you do when you buy a $300 32GB iPhone 4 is that the iPhone 4 actually costs $700.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No, they think that they can make more money selling iPod touches by making them thinner rather than including a better camera.

Apple. Customers.

Not functionality in general, just the specific camera functionality you described.

Because enough people are willing to pay $399 for such a device. :confused:

Wow. Why would they need an excuse? They provide a product. People choose to buy it, or not.

9. Tharian macrumors regular

Not to egg on the OP (ok, perhaps a bit) but if you read through that review you'll see the engadget gave it a 9/10 and praised virtually every other aspect of the new touch.

So, how did you determine from the review that it "sucks" aside from the lens and screen (which is still unbelievably good to look at)?

Just saying, because it seems like the review you're referencing contradicts your claims.

-d

10. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, but why can't iPod Touch be as thin as iPhone? Why does the Touch have to be thinner than the current iPhone? It just does not make any sense. According to Apple, it is not about the price, it is about the thinnest. Yeah, right.

11. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Exactly. Looks like all the OP wanted was a DSLR in his pocket.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if they had made the iPod touch thicker to accommodate the camera then somebody just like the OP would have written a very similar post saying that the iPod should be thinner because whoever needs the f@#$ing camera can bring a separate camera or buy an iPhone.

There is no way to do it right.

People, first get ONE opinion and THEN ask Apple to make that product.

13. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

There's no competitor for the iPod touch right now.

14. kcjohn macrumors member

kcjohn

Finally, someone who gets it.

15. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, I agree, but iPod Touch does not have the phone part. Again, Apple told Engadget that "it is not about the price." Whoever believes that, I have a bridge for sale. Besides, Steve Jobs himself said that the new iPod Touch is the iPhone without the phone, but clearly it is not.

Obviously, those who already have the iPhone are not going to get the iPod Touch. I do not have the iPhone, but I want iPod Touch and was waiting for it to catch up to the iPhone. Finally it comes out, but it is half baked compared to the iPhone, and with rather inane excuses from Apple to boot, which is very disappointing.

16. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

1.Review gave it 9/10 (sucks?!?)

2.Apple dont advertise it as a still camera anyway.they advertise HD video recording,and the device does that extremely well.This is a feature only the high end devices currently do.Even if it DID NOT have a camera,it wouldve been okay.Media players dont need cameras.

if you want a good still camera,go get a good still camera.

3.If you dont like the price,dont pay.dont buy it.theyre not forcing you to buy it.Buy a Zune or a samsung or whatever POS you want to buy.

17. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I'd think people would be happy to have all the features the itouch has now...
    My first ipod was like a brick and all it did was play music and at the time this was HUGE ---> video! Video that I had to convert and add through itunes. No youtube, no camera, no internet, no games, etc.
    If you're gonna be pissy because it's too thin now or doesn't have a good enough camera (for goodness sake, I never expected an ipod to even have a camera!) get a damn iphone. The iphone is built better because it actually costs almost twice as much and technically we're signing a contract to use it... the itouch is a one time fee. next thing you'll be complaining about is how it can't make regular phone calls - facetime won't be good enough.

18. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Aside from those things, the new iPod Touch is not new at all, and pretty much as useful as the old one. Oh, I am sorry, it is thinner - wow - how could I forget about that? Is thinnest like a new feature of the OS or something? :rolleyes:

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

20. kcjohn macrumors member

kcjohn

Best clip ever. For all the haters.

21. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

+1

I've been saying this to my family/friend and other forums. They either do not get it or simply greedy and will never be happy.

22. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, should we thank Apple now for not charging us a monthly fee to use an MP3 player? Please...

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thinnest is one more difference between this generation and previous generations. For some people, that will matter.

Especially for non-iPhone owners that will be lugging this around in addition to their other cell phone.

Besides, it's typically like after a generation or two, other manufacturers catch up to Apple. So for all you know, the next Zune coming out will be the size of the old iPod touch, so this generation being thinner is a competitive advantage.

Either way, it doesn't matter. If Apple left the iPod touch the same size and put a better camera in it, there'd be the equivalent whining of this thread where the OP is complaining about the touch not getting any thinner. And any attempt to use logic to explain that a better camera requires a thicker case would be blown off because all the OP wants is thinner.

There is apparently no such thing as pleasing everybody.

24. yustas thread starter macrumors regular

It goes without saying that I was expressing my opinion. So, in my opinion, "aside from the lens and screen," there is no new iPod Tocuh. Sure, I agree, it is better than nothing, I guess, but the thinnest excuse from Apple for not providing the same functionality and quality as on the iPhone is insulting to an intelligent observer. Again, Apple says it is not about the price.

If it is not about the price, Apple essentially makes an argument that the new iPod Touch does not have the GPS, the same quality screen and cameras as the iPhone because thinnest is more important to the Apple's customers than GPS, better screen, pictures and video, which, as I already said, is insulting and unbelievable.

Wait, who does not agree with me? People do not want the iPhone Touch to have GPS, better screen and take better pictures and video? Get real.