Does the X need more RAM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ralfi, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

How are X users finding re-opening background Apps - are they refreshing or remaining where they left off? & which ones are notorious for refreshing & which are the solid ones that don't refresh?

I ask because I've seen a few comparison videos (the latest being ) where the X's (much) less RAM sees it lose out when it comes to re-opening Apps.

Although the OnePlus 5T smashed it in pretty much every test here, disappointingly.

Anyway, are you happy with the management of the X's 3GB of RAM & if not, do you see it improving over time as Apps are optimised for the it?

2. Sunnyday2017 Suspended

Sunnyday2017

Whoops ! I just got finished posting this video on another thread so I apologize to you for not seeing this sooner. But, it’s very interesting what the new boy on the block did in beating out the iPhone X.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Hopefully the iPhone X gets 4 GB of RAM next year. But the One plus 5T is still operating Android, which I don't prefer.

4. Altis macrumors 68030

Of course it will be RAM-starved in no time. Sad that such an expensive and otherwise incredibly powerful device will be life-limited by a deliberate lack of RAM, but alas such is the tradition at Apple.

There will be those who go on endlessly about how magical iOS's memory management is, but it's obvious to anyone who uses it that iOS takes overly aggressive measures to constantly free up memory. I can't even leave a video for 10 seconds and go back without having to rebuffer everything all over again.

5. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

No worries at all. Feel free to post it - it covers a few areas that can be relevant in other threads.

It's just the expectation of a premium device such as the X, with the benchmarks quadrupling Android, yet it's not faster in a few of these comparison videos.

Makes you question the significance of the Geekbench testing..

6. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I haven't had any issues with multitasking. Every time I open an app that was loaded previously, it's right where it was.

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

All it shows is a device with 8gb of ram can keep more apps open than one with 3. His X was also showing some weird problems and wasn’t 100% during the test so he should of swapped the phone for a different X instead of the one he used. With the obvious problems the X still won 1st round even though the one+ had a huge lead. The X killed the one+ in the 4k video editing by a large margin and from the Geekbench results you would expect this. I hope Apple will increase ram to 4gb next year to help with the ram management. I kinda think Apple dropped the ball in iOS 11 with the optimization considering an iPhone 7+ running 10.3.3 can easily beat the X in similar tests. Apple should learn from this phone and continue to increase or change hardware and software to improve it.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

It doesn't need more RAM, it just needs to be better optimized. I never had issues with apps closing out in iOS 10 on my 7Plus, but on my 8Plus, apps reload on a regular basis with iOS 11. Once RAM management returns, RAM amount will no longer be an issue.

9. teknikal90 macrumors 68040

teknikal90

i find it incredibly weird that iOS' RAM management is severely compromised starting with iOS 11. Remember when iPhones used to destroy these speed tests simply because they used to be able to store all apps easily in 2gb RAM vs. androids with 4gb RAM?

10. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

That was as recent as last year. An iPhone 6s/SE with A9 chip/2 GB RAM would defeat every Android with Snapdragon 820/4 or 6 GB RAM. Alas, the tables have turned.

Samsung used to be the joke of speed tests losing to Apple and other Android OEMs last year but now Note8 has beaten iPhone X.

11. lupinglade, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017

lupinglade macrumors regular

What a strange, unscientific way to test performance - WiFi signal, server response times, cache, OS and app optimizations, animations, power management, human interaction, etc. For example even, what good is a device that can launch facebook 0.5 seconds faster but ends up burning through a battery at twice the rate? And in the case of Android, I think twice the rate is being optimistic.

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Go to 7:56 in video. Brightness bug? No brightness increase after 75%? lol.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No.

Coming from my 1gb ram 6... apps stay on forever in the background, multitasking never been better :)

14. Gathomblipoob, Nov 20, 2017

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Not more RAM, but maybe better RAM management.

15. comper macrumors regular

I'll never turn down extra RAM, but no, I do not think it is a necessity at this point in time.

16. california_kid, Nov 20, 2017

california_kid macrumors regular

In other words, if you use less than 15 apps per minute, iPhone X beats Samsung Note 8 in every single app in that comparison video not counting the bogus ones with different content. I speculate that iPhone X would be faster if the content in Facebook and ESPN app were the same on the 2 phones.

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

18. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

In other words, if you don't transport 4k videos the $499 oneplus 5t beats iPhone X in every single app.

19. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

No issues for me either. Perhaps in 3 years it’ll start to need more RAM, but until then I’m perfectly happy.

20. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Thanks for the replies. Bit of a relief it's not so bad, but should improve over time via optimisation.

Please don't turn the thread into this.

21. teknikal90 macrumors 68040

teknikal90

its as real life as it gets

22. OcramSagev macrumors member

Raw Android is pretty fast because it doesn't run many background tasks. Try disabling Siri, Reduce Transparency and Reduce Motion settings and you will see how much faster the iPhone works (This is what I do for my iPad Mini 2 because ios 11 made it slow)

23. california_kid macrumors regular

Wrong. Look at the side by side comparison in the second half of the video. pS app is faster on iPhone X and Minecraft actually works on iPhone X. This is just to name a few. Nice try though.

24. Gathomblipoob, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Well, customer service with OnePlus phones is certainly the best in the world! :D

25. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

It performs well for me but there have been a couple of times when apps have refreshed that was a little jarring for me and not something I remember experiencing on my last iPhone. Completely non scientific though I know.