Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Bingo. And once Leopard ships, the number of people still using 10.3 is going to go down even further.

I also believe that if you have a PowerPC Mac, and you bought 10.4 a while ago separate from your Mac, and you now buy Leopard, you can then sell 10.4 on eBay (after removing it from your Mac), so there should be cheap and legal copies of Tiger on eBay soon. Same as you can buy Panther quite cheap now.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The OP has a point.

However, when you purchase hardware, you would always verify the hardware and software requirements first. Had the OP done this, he would have either purchased Tiger or not purchased the Nano.

Guess it pays to read the requirements.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
Guess it pays to read the requirements.
Yep the requirements that are written in dim grey size 3 font on the back of a box that is locked behind the cash register, and placed directly in the bag when you buy it.

It's not the end of the world guys. I'm out $20 return fee, not a huge deal. I just thought it was appropriate to complain about a shady move on Apple's part, and defend my logic thereafter.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
It's not the end of the world guys. I'm out $20 return fee, not a huge deal. I just thought it was appropriate to complain about a shady move on Apple's part, and defend my logic thereafter.

Wasn't shady...go online, read it there., read it in the store(you can ask to see it before you pay) Or upgrade your computer...Apple didn't lye, you just didn't read the specs(something everyone should, more so if your not up to date on the newest OS!)

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
Just an FYI, the nanos dont work with Windows 3.0 either.

So Panther == Windows 3.0? That was the worst comparison ever.

I really can't understand how anyone can defend the fact that Apple don't support Panther. That's messed up.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
I am on the same boat, with a G4 PB running Panther. What is so different about the new vs previous shuffles that one works with Panther and another one does not??? I have a Tiger machine at work and so use both, and the difference between Panther and Tiger is nonexistent for me as a user, except a couple of insignificant details.

For the new ipods, they could at least have enabled a simple syncing of songs/audiobooks without having to pay an upgrade fee.

About the impending Leopard release: how would it run on G4 machines? Will it be usable or much slower than 10.3/10.4? (This is a question for folks running preview versions on their PPCs).

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
So Panther == Windows 3.0? That was the worst comparison ever.

I really can't understand how anyone can defend the fact that Apple don't support Panther. That's messed up.

I'm not sure what you want Apple to do? Do you want them to add all the features of tiger to Panther? Where do they stop? Yes, they would like you to upgrade, they are a company. I am not sure if in this specific case it is necessary to exclude Panther, and if there is no special drivers used or other software that is in tiger and not panther, they should allow it. But you seem to think apple should support you for as long as you want them to.

Out...

trevorlsciact

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Orlando FL
Do your research!

Before shelling out 100's of $ for a product i usually like to do a little research first! If money just doesn't matter to you that much--just buy a new OS.
Maybe Apple should have supported Panther, I think they should have. But don't wine about it. You bought it! Return it, or upgrade your OS (or wait till Leopard, the most logical option IMO) You are responsible for your own actions, not Apple.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Yep the requirements that are written in dim grey size 3 font on the back of a box that is locked behind the cash register, and placed directly in the bag when you buy it.
Do what I do. Play ignorant and simply describe your setup and then ask them if your setup will support the new hardware, or ask what you need to run the new hardware or device that you are considering purchasing.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
See, I like what someone brought up earlier, before the four month delay of Leopard, and these iPods would've been released, Apple would have supported the current (Leopard) and previous (Tiger) releases, though there would still be complaining. Are you Panther users going to complain when Apple discontinues security updates for Panther, or iTunes/QuickTime releases? Face it, Panther will be obsolete within the next two months..

trevorlsciact

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Orlando FL
See, I like what someone brought up earlier, before the four month delay of Leopard, and these iPods would've been released, Apple would have supported the current (Leopard) and previous (Tiger) releases, though there would still be complaining. Are you Panther users going to complain when Apple discontinues security updates for Panther, or iTunes/QuickTime releases? Face it, Panther will be obsolete within the next two months..

Yes, but it isn't right now, so shouldn't Apple support it. They are the ones who delayed Leopard. They should take responsibility for their actions.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
They support Windows Vista, XP and 2000. Windows 2000 was released in February 2000. Panther was released in October 2003.

Your comparisons are stupid, and you know it.
iTunes 7.4 does NOT support Windows 2000

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm with the OP. It's ridiculous that they don't support Panther. Many people are on a 3 or 4 year replacement cycle with their computers, and a 2 year old computer would have Panther.

To those who say "Apple traditionally supports 2 OSs," well, here's a case where they don't. The nano only ships supporting 1 Mac OS. Sure, Leopard will be available at some mythical point in the future, but as of now, Apple's only supporting one OS.

To those who say "pony up $129 for Tiger," that's absolutely insane. Why should I have to pay $129 to get my $149 product to work? For that price, I could get an iPod Touch (if it worked with my computer).

I agree that the OP should have read the system requirements, but regardless, I still think it's a mistake for Apple not to support the two most recent apple OSs in its new iPods, ESPECIALLY when those older computers still support the latest version of iTunes. Does this mean Panther will not be able to run the next version of iTunes?

One reason I can justify paying a premium for Apple computers is that they have a long life. If Apple stops supporting older models, that's one less reason for me to buy Apple computers.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
iTunes 7.3.2 and QuickTime 7.1.6 are the last versions to support Windows 2000.
Edit: By the way, I don't get Apple's logic, if the new iPods don't support Panther, they should just drop iTunes for Panther then too, so that way we don't have this big and long list of requirements..

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
They support Windows Vista, XP and 2000. Windows 2000 was released in February 2000. Panther was released in October 2003.

Your comparisons are stupid, and you know it.

They have to support xp as it is the largest install base. Not sure about 2000, but would guess its a very large part of the business community. Apple also doesn't need to sell copies of windows in order to pay for the r&d for software and hardware that other companies will steal from so that they don't pay the r&d costs.

Out...

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
You're right, the latest version of iTunes does not support Windows 2000. Maybe it's possible to get around, like with Age of Empires 3. Maybe I'll try that later.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
It may possibly take more than just tricking the installer, there also may be a driver issue as well if you are attempting to try the new iPods on it..

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Just get over yourself and go get Tiger. You can get it for like $70, and will be supported for along time. I hate when people come up here and complain about how "OMG, OMG, my iPod doesn't work with 10.3". It's an old OS. You should have read the requirements before purchasing it. That's your own fault.

So go ahead and have fun with that Zune along with that PC. I'm sure the fact that you are carrying around something much less attractive than an iPod and having a PC that has the risk of viruses and spyware will be much better than you Mac. Plus you'll be spending a lot more money than if you just wanted to upgrade to Tiger.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
My wife has 10.4, so I use it all the time,

I didn't see anyone else post on this - why not use your wife's machine?

Just transfer over the songs you want and plug it in.

No fuss, no cost and no need to rag at Apple because you didn't read the specs properly.

Edit: oops someone did, just didn't see it before my coffee. The irony ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.