iPad Pro Done with the pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cargobrian, Apr 28, 2016.

1. cargobrian macrumors member

cargobrian

I do love my iPad Pro, however never think of ever using the pencil I bought for it.
    I am not an artist and have no real use for it. May try to sell it with its leather holder.

Is Ebay the best way to sell?

Is anyone else tired of the pencil? Hate having something else to have to worry about charging.

2. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Well, if you don't need a pencil, don't buy a pencil.

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

How long have you had the pencil? I assume longer than the return period?

Craig's list, EBAY, see if Best Buy will take it on trade. Try the marketplace on here.

4. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Don't think I'll ever tire of the Pencil, but then I purchased mine knowing that I'd have use for it.

I don't think it's the sort of thing you should spend money on just because, I think you need to know you're going to be using it to make it a worthwhile investment.

5. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

The pencil should have been included with iPad Pro.
    that way you wouldn't have this concern.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it can be used as a pointing device, and for that reason, I'd keep it. You'll probably not get too much back from selling it on ebay. I'm hoping we'll see enhancements to its functionality as apple rolls out iOS 10.

7. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I returned mine after feeling the exact same way you did. I am not an artist, I did like using the pencil as a pointer/mouse type device but not enough for the price tag. I did use it to write about 4 pages of notes but I can type faster and almost word for word with someone speaking on the apple keyboard that I also bought, so again no need for a $100 pencil. At this point your return time has passed I am assuming so if you are broke then take the hit and get like 50-75 bucks for it if you include whatever case your talking about. Hell I'll take if from you for 50 without the case thing, which brings us to my next quote below.

This is something that will come in the future I think because it is crazy when you start adding up the price tag of the ipp the keyboard, pencil and apple care if you got it, the price is crazy high. I got the 128gb with back case and keyboard with no apple care and still paid around a grand before my trade in stuff. If the pencil came with the pro or even was around the price of $50 I would buy it again, or even better if they added a feature where you could flip the pencil over to use the other side as an eraser! That would be awesome. I am sure there will be apple pencil 2,3,4..... and eventually there will be one that I do see me getting use out of that doesn't cost 100 bucks

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

People complain enough about the price as it is, can you imagine the uproar if there were a Pencil included to push the price up a bit further, it'd be a (not so) civil uprising :D

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not sure where my Apple Pencil is as I have not used it in a while. Can't see it is worth selling. Keep it and maybe you will use it later.

10. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

It should have been included with the iPad Pro at the same price..or just slight increase (maybe 50% of pencils price added).
    at that point the iPad Pro class would make much more sense and would have been noticeable.and ourchasing it would be justified.
    Currently most people look at the iPad Pro,its price tag and when they find out they have too pay another $100 / £80 for the stylus they just walk away.
    just look at the Pro 7.9 and Air 2 for example..try to compare and choose one over the other..

11. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I agree to a certain degree with what you're saying. But if I was comparing the two I'd choose the Pro, better chipset, better screen, better sound, more storage, smart connector, better cameras (not that I ever use them, but you never know)

There's more to the choice than just using the Pencil. For me it would be no different than the introduction of an Air 3, had they chosen to use that name, I'd base my decision on the full spec sheet.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I just use my mine to nav round but even then I haven't used it that much lately but still like it when I do need it.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm not an artist, but I am a note taker. The Pencil outperforms any plain stylus, and the palm rejection just makes it the perfect accessory for notes.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

What proof do you have of this? Are those people sharing that information with you? Does that mean that the people that do buy it also share that information with you so that you can make the determination of most people walk away. I'm just curious how you got that statistic.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Couldn't agree more with this, I've owned lots of styli for my iPads. From cheap and squishy to expensive Bluetooth ones from Wacom and Adonit. The last one I bought was somewhere in the middle, Jot Dash from Adonit which was quite good. Oh and the disc based styli from Adonit are also really good for the price.

But not a single one has even been remotely close to the performance of the Pencil, even though some cost just as much. I'm a complete Pencil fanboy now :D one of the best products Apple have released in years. For my use of course, others are allowed their own opinion ;)

16. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Something that charges as fast as the pencil (and on my iPad) is not something I worry about charging. I love the pencil.

17. friedmud macrumors 65816

It's actually the other way around. This is exactly WHY the Pencil is NOT included with the iPad Pro! Because many people might want the iPP... but have no need for a Pencil. So why would Apple increase the price of the iPP for people who don't need the Pencil?

18. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I'm sooooooooooooo tired of that pencil! I bought it with no plans to use it and now I am out a hundred dollars...AND...I have to recharge the it! Apple has really crossed a line here.

19. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

The iPad Pro 9.7 is great as a stand alone device without the pencil. If you want the pencil and the added price is an issue just wait awhile and buy the pencil later. To the OP, I would keep the pencil with leather case as you might find a use for it later or with the next device and probably won't get much money for it now. New pencils are readily available, may go on sale at some point and cases rarely add any value to devices on resale.

20. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Bottom line: if you don't need the pencil, why in the world buy it?

If you absolutely don't want to touch the screen with your fingers, buy a $5 rubber-tipped stylus. Buying a pencil as a "pointing device" is like buying a Ferrari for grocery shopping.

21. cargobrian thread starter macrumors member

cargobrian

Hey, lets not turn this into something it isn't. I am not complaining about apple or the product. For me, I am not using it as I had might of thought I would and have changed my mind on the item. It is that simple. Just giving my opinion.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I did buy the Pencil to try because I was curious. However, I made sure to return it within the return period. If it was $50, I may have kept it, but for $100, it's too expensive for something that I won't use that often.

23. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

What do you think the restock cost on the pencil is for Apple? Just "curious".

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have no idea. I trust they know what they are doing when they offer a no-questions return policy, and price things accordingly so they don't lose money overall.

25. BurgDog macrumors regular

It becomes a refurb and sold 15% off. The 15% lost on a return is built in to the cost of the product. Easy returns induce people to buy things they wouldn't otherwise buy and ends up creating more sales and more profit overall even when returns are factored in.