Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
most of them

look here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=3510&tstart=0
ive returned two already because of the hidden flaw.

Whom are you trying to educate??

The people that don't read forums and are loving their new rMBP's?

The people that come here, read the forum, and realize that like most model releases, the problems are blown way out of proportion?

Maybe the people that would love to have one but can't for one reason or another that try and sway others into the "I can't have it, but it's okay because they are all defective" camp.

Hmmmmmm.......

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I guess I should play the lottery because my rMBP is issue free!

This is will be wastelanded soon, but just imagine: you play the rMBP lottery and actually win! That's a feeling hard to describe...and no Apple tax too :D

anikgol

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2003
How exactly does one thread = the majority of rMBPs on the market?

simple. people have changed their laptop 4-5 times. some even 7 and got faulty laptop. if this was only a small portion then how can you explain that. are they all unlucky??

people dont notice this much before they change the background

nanolife

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
Pasadena
simple. people have changed their laptop 4-5 times. some even 7 and got faulty laptop. if this was only a small portion then how can you explain that. are they all unlucky??

The difference is that now people talk to millions of users online at the same time. People are getting used to go online and complain about something.

I will only accept any comment about good or bad rMBP if someone can answer what a user just posted here:

Most? Really?
What percentage?
What was your sample size?
What is the margin of error?
Please enlighten us ...

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

This has actually been discussed to death, resurrected, and to death again. I think most of the members here are aware of the issues and probably most have been compelled to openly look for it when they got their rMBP. I can safely say that my rMBP passed all the tests I threw at it and I actually went looking for problems, due to a paranoia caused by this forum.

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011

I buy one and it did not have any issue. Only people with issue write it everywhere. Happy people dont spend their time telling : my retina is fine.

anikgol

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2003
that true but thats the issue here:
as i said, a lot of people have been changing 5-7 laptops with the same problem. this is not a good statistics for apple. if people can explain me this then i agree and accept it. go ahead.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
that true but thats the issue here:
as i said, a lot of people have been changing 5-7 laptops with the same problem. this is not a good statistics for apple. if people can explain me this then i agree and accept it. go ahead.

I was one of those people all of the screens who had this issue was an LG screen. Finally got a Samsung screen and I've yet to have any issues with the image retention.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
I walked in to the apple store and bought the base model approximately a month ago and it had both a Samsung panel and SSD. absolutely none of the reported issues.
No IR, No issues with the SSD, no weird creaking, groaning, overheating etc.

The issues that people are so paranoid are by no means nearly all units sold. This is typical of apple first revision products from all reports and is part of the cost of being an early adopter with apple technologies. You buy the rev. 1 and you deal with the bumps, hiccups and problems until apple gets around to fixing them, or you wait until the release the rev. 2 model with most of the issues fixed.

I waited a while and read up on the retina before purchasing and decided the risk was worth it to have the best laptop currently on the market.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
because "most" people who buy rMBP's frequent Apple message boards or this forum... :rolleyes:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Because most people can't do basic stats.

If, for argument's sake, 10% of RMBPs suffered from any particular problem, and one million people bought them, and continued to trade them in until they got a good one, based on EXTREMELY rough statistics:

100,000 people would trade in once.
10,000 people would trade in twice.
1,000 people would trade in three times
etc...
And one poor sucker would trade in 6 times.

But considering each trade in probably becomes a refurb, and I imagine quite a few refurbs are what people who trade in end up with, you can end up with a lot of exchanges required to get a good one even when the defect rate is extremely small, if you're unlucky enough to get a bad one first.

Basically, the OP's assumption that MOST RMBPs are flawed is itself MOSTLY FLAWED. (See what I did there?)

The second point is that the vast majority of Apple's customers don't care about this issue.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Go and read every forum on macrumors. 90% of the threads are about a problem. Should I assume 90% of people have problems w Apple products? I didn't pay much attention in my college statistics class but Im educated enough to know a forum isn't a good place to pull an accurate sample from.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Yes, they're unlucky. Mine's perfect.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Because most people can't do basic stats.

If, for argument's sake, 10% of RMBPs suffered from any particular problem, and one million people bought them, and continued to trade them in until they got a good one, based on EXTREMELY rough statistics:

100,000 people would trade in once.
10,000 people would trade in twice.
1,000 people would trade in three times
etc...
And one poor sucker would trade in 6 times.

But considering each trade in probably becomes a refurb, and I imagine quite a few refurbs are what people who trade in end up with, you can end up with a lot of exchanges required to get a good one even when the defect rate is extremely small, if you're unlucky enough to get a bad one first.

Basically, the OP's assumption that MOST RMBPs are flawed is itself MOSTLY FLAWED. (See what I did there?)

The second point is that the vast majority of Apple's customers don't care about this issue.

You made the mistake of using that forbidden voodoo of logic & basic math on a message board...

May Heaven help you

Bebel

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I have the "dreaded" LG screen and my rMBP flawless. The only thing flawed here is your logic.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I've been through 5 RMBPs. First one was a Samsung but it was 8GB and I decided I wanted 16GB. All of my others have been LG and all have had screen retention. I'm getting so tired of replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.