Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Hmmm, interesting thread... first the inferior camera, now the display... I was a bit surprised when I looked at the engadget's pics, but too me there is a clear difference between iPhone's and a new iPod's screen. iPod touch screen has definetely worse viewing angles, that may suggest touch has a different screen. Looking at it's viewing angles, propably LCD TN technology :/

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
I think the iPod 4 probably does not have an IPS screen. If this turns out to be the case, then Jobs lied(misled for fan boys) us about the screen. Since it is not the iPhone 4 screen and is not the greatest screen in the world(Again, IF it turns out to NOT be an IPS.

I know I know, there is nothing like the iPod Touch blah blah blah... I agree. And even if it turns out to NOT be an IPS screen, I still think that the Touch is worth it's price.

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
Well according to Gizmodo, they say it has the IPS technology.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-05 at 23.58.27.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-05 at 23.58.27.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 80

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Gizmodo can copy and paste as good as the guys on WIKI or any other website or forum. These are the specs that were told to us by Apple. Am I wrong in this regard???

There is really only one way to tell if the screen is an IPS or not. Wait and see.

As I said before, even without an IPS screen the Touch will still be worth it. It's probably in a class by itself. But being misled(IF that turns out to be the case) causes trust issues. Unless you worship the entity that is misleading you.

Anyway, wait and see.

I also can't wait to learn more about the back camera and the RAM amount. But that is for another thread or 2.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Well then Gizmodo is wrong. I know about LCD technologies and looking at the engadget's comparison photo I can say it's 100% not IPS, simply because an IPS technology doesn't have such bad viewing angles. It's 90% a TN matrix, what it has in common with Retina Display is probably only screen resolution.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
Contrast looks much improved in the videos I've seen. Better blacks and of course, insane ppi. Not having IPS is a little disappointing but in practice I'm sure it will still be a fantastic display.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well then Gizmodo is wrong. I know about LCD technologies and looking at the engadget's comparison photo I can say it's 100% not IPS, simply because an IPS technology doesn't have such bad viewing angles. It's 90% a TN matrix, what it has in common with Retina Display is probably only screen resolution.

No offense, but you can't tell ANYTHING about a display by looking at a photograph of it on some web site. Photographing displays accurately, even for professional photographers, is one of the most difficult shots there are. That's why they are "simulated" so much in advertisements. And while I know little about displays, I know a lot about photography ;)

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008

I agree definitely a TN panel, and lets face it if was IPS Apple would not be shy about be strutting the fact on the touch specs.

I don't see what all the hoopla is about anyway, nobody belly ached about viewing angles on any of the previous models.

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
I agree definitely a TN panel, and lets face it if was IPS Apple would not be shy about be strutting the fact on the touch specs.

I don't see what all the hoopla is about anyway, nobody belly ached about viewing angles on any of the previous models.

True, but what about the oil-resistant coating that helps keep the screen clean? Is that in the Retina Display?

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
it makes the iPhone 4 look... fat

Both displays will look exactly the same since both are Retina displays with 800-1 contrast ratio when viewed from a normal angle and looking from the side edge angle is not as bad from the bottom edge.
ipodtouch2010hands3.jpg

ipodtouch2010hands4.jpg

ipodtouch2010hands13.jpg

ipodtouch2010hands7.jpg

"So we just got our hands on the new iPod touch... and boy is it small. As you would expect, the functionality of the device is identical to the iPhone 4, as well as the functions of the cameras. In essence, it's a much thinner iPhone 4, with no cell radio and a lower quality still camera. The design is relatively in keeping with previous touches, so no major surprises there, but the inclusion of that A4 chip, higher resolution screen, and front and back cameras makes it a far more versatile device. Take a look at the gallery below if you're wondering just how much of a sliver this is -- it makes the iPhone 4 look... fat."

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
@Joey1946
Sorry, but you're wrong. It's not only viewing angles that differs two technologies. IPS has much better blacks and much more vivid, lifelike colors than TN.

Sorry to say, but I've lost my interest in new touch. Seems like A4 chip is the only real improvement. Other than that, it's not really worth upgrading from previous generation. Still waiting for the in-depht reviews, though.

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
True, but what about the oil-resistant coating that helps keep the screen clean? Is that in the Retina Display?

I think Apple started implemented them in their screens regardless of Retina or not; The iPad has it.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Wow weird that they would drop the IPS technology for this screen which they presumably are having custom made for themselves anyway (who else uses a 3.5" 960x640 screen?). If true, this definitely signals that they will eventually drop IPS on the iPhone as well. I see no conceivable marketing reason for them to differentiate these products based on screen.

I agree that IPS for iPhone/iPod Touch probably is not as big a deal as for iPad. iPad you're going to lay flat on your lap or on a table, at an oblique angle to your eyes, and still want to be able to see perfectly. iPhone I can only imagine doing something like that if I'm watching a TV show or movie. Which I don't really enjoy doing on my iPhone. Its definitely a last resort.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Both displays will look exactly the same since both are Retina displays with 800-1 contrast ratio when viewed from a normal angle and looking from the side edge angle is not as bad from the bottom edge.

Not sure about the contrast ratios being the same, can you please link a source of this information?

The oleophobic coating is a separate thing altogether and not solely a "retina display" feature, it first appeared on the 3GS before retina displays where used. From what I understand it does not keep the screen clean or reduce the amount of finger print build up as such but rather makes the screen a lot easier to wipe clean.

That aside I do not know if an oleophobic coating is used on the new touch, not even sure it was used on the 3rd gen touch. I seem to recall there were a few problems with the coating wearing off in certain places where the screen received frequent repetitive use especially in gaming sliding a thumb around on a dpad etc. They may have decided not to use it, but won't really know until people start getting their hands on them.

oleophobic-coating.jpg

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Everyone knows that "Retina Display" is a fake thing, right? Its just a marketing slogan that Apple uses to describe the fact that the screen has somewhat higher pixel density than their competitors, currently, and bound to change in the near future. I always detect some confusion about this form posters on this forum.

Higher pixel density is great, but "Retina Display" is not a technology. It is a marketing slogan.

ryan0402

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010

gizmodo is not wrong they recorded the facts exactly as they heard it

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
ipodtouch2010hands7.jpg

"Take a look at the gallery below if you're wondering just how much of a sliver this is -- it makes the iPhone 4 look... fat."

Guess I can get a fat case :p If the original screen has an oleophobic coating, then it means the "clear" screen protectors would be a fingerprint/oil magnet... but the ones with anti-oil/fingerprint are grainy which isn't good for the retina display :(

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
@Joey1946
Sorry, but you're wrong. It's not only viewing angles that differs two technologies. IPS has much better blacks and much more vivid, lifelike colors than TN.

Sorry to say, but I've lost my interest in new touch. Seems like A4 chip is the only real improvement. Other than that, it's not really worth upgrading from previous generation. Still waiting for the in-depht reviews, though.
Does the 3G Touch have 720p HD video, 802.11n, 960x640 Retina display with 326ppi , Face Time , 512mb RAM etc ?

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Don't forget the external mic on the touch 4. That gives the touch many more capabilities.

Does the 3G Touch have 720p HD video, 802.11n, 960x640 Retina display with 326ppi , Face Time , 512mb RAM etc ?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

Wow... seriously dude? Some of you people here absolutely astound me.

Not only is the CPU MUCH better, but the new iPod Touch has not one, but TWO cameras, and a MUCH higher resolution display all while retaining the same price! And thats not an improvement? My god, it is impossible to please some of you. Yikes... absolutely no logic in your reasoning GoodBoy. None at all.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
WIKI, really. They get their info from the same place as Gizmodo, Leo, engadget, and everyone else. It's the same info. If it is wrong its wrong, if its right its right, and if it is misleading then it is...

Oh yeah, this thread is about the screen but since you brought it up... 512 MB of RAM hasn't been confirmed yet. If it has, give me an official link and I will apologize.

And, I still think the Touch is a great device at a good price; alone in it's class. I just try not to spread rumors or to accept twisted words as "fact"

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
It's funny, I read through this entire thread and started to become paranoid. Paranoid that the new screen would look like absolute crap. Then I turned on my iPod touch 3G and realized that we all seem to be... Spoiled maybe.

Regardless if the screen is IPS or not, i still think it will look amazing with greater pixel density. Honestly, i've never seen an iphone 4 screen so will probably be more impressed than those that have or have used an iphone 4.

I appreciate everyone discussing the merits or potential short comings if the new screen, but honestly, look at what HAS improved in screen technology over the years. I think the current gen touch has an amazing screen and cannot wait to see this next iteration!

SoraLimit

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
It's funny, I read through this entire thread and started to become paranoid. Paranoid that the new screen would look like absolute crap. Then I turned on my iPod touch 3G and realized that we all seem to be... Spoiled maybe.

Regardless if the screen is IPS or not, i still think it will look amazing with greater pixel density. Honestly, i've never seen an iphone 4 screen so will probably be more impressed than those that have or have used an iphone 4.

I appreciate everyone discussing the merits or potential short comings if the new screen, but honestly, look at what HAS improved in screen technology over the years. I think the current gen touch has an amazing screen and cannot wait to see this next iteration!

^^This man knows his stuff. +1

I mean, all of you guys have a look at your current iPod screen. It looks good already. The pixels are already hard enough to distinguish, but with the new screen, the pixel density alone will be epic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.