Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
What makes you think it's a better screen than let's say in touch 3rd gen? Higher resolution doesn't automatically mean better quality. If the technology is poor (and TN is the worst), not much can be done to actually improve PQ. You will not be able do distinguish pixels, but colors will be still dull and washed out, not to mention non-existing blacks, compared to IPS. Maybe you don't care about PQ in mobile devices, but the market has moved forward. There's a huge demand for Samsung's AMOLED screens for mobile devices right now. Same with TVs - OLED is the future. So yeah, people definetly care and demand better screens. An iPod touch is all about the screen, which is the biggest and the most important part in it, so to me it's PQ is very important.
If you don't like it don't buy it.
It is what it is. For some its a good deal, for others not so much. Whats the big deal? You are wasting so much time arguing about nothing.

What type of display does the 3rd gen iPod Touch have?

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
So-called "retina display" is only Apple's marketing bs, in reality it's just a regular IPS screen with higher resolution, that's it. It's production cost is 10-20$ more than TN matrix, so I see no reason why it wasn't implemented to iPod touch 4gen.

Where'd you get your data regarding the component price?

Anyway, know any other manufacturer that fully takes advantage of this "regular IPS screen with higher resolution" technology? Why wasn't it implemented in any other competing device?

Maybe you'd like to buy a Droid or Streak instead? Or perhaps you'd rather believe Samsung's marketing and get 1 of their AMOLED screens?

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
If that's the definition of retina display, then how can they apply it to the touch? It doesn't have IPS.
I guess by "retina" Apple means a higher pixel density per inch, not the type of LCD technology used in a given screen.

hotchson

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
I guess by "retina" Apple means a higher pixel density per inch, not the type of LCD technology used in a given screen.

Spot on about the retina thing. I concur with what you said. I find it very funny that people think Retina display acutally is a type of screen!

Sometimes it feels like apple fans have rather bad critical thinking skills...

jamp78

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
immvv.jpg

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
We have to wait and see new touch in action :) My guess is the screen quality gonna be just a tad better than touch 2/3gen, thanks to more pixels per inch, but overall it's quality not gonna blow away like the screen in iPhone4. Still a good iPod for 299$ (32gb version), but Apple in my opinion could have done a better work on this year's generation.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
The only thing the iPhone 4 is going to blow away the 4G iPod Touch on is the monthly AT&T phone bill. The 64GB iPod Touch has twice the storage for HD video, apps etc compared to the top iPhone 4.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
If you don't like it don't buy it.
It is what it is. For some its a good deal, for others not so much. Whats the big deal? You are wasting so much time arguing about nothing.

What type of display does the 3rd gen iPod Touch have?

What type of display does the 3rd gen iPod Touch have

TN

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I love, LOVE, the iPhone4's screen. It's like having a mini iMac or iPad screen in the palm of your hands. With that said, as long on the touch's screen is better than the past generation iDevices, I'll be happy enough with that.

hmmm123

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
IPS doesn't mean much....

Everybody who has bought one do not worry! IPS or Inter plan switching is a screen in which you will be able to view the screen better at a 178 degree viewing angle. IT DOES NOT have anything to do with contrast ratios or pixels per inch or anything like that. It means that you will have the same great screen with the sharpness and what not that the Iphone has, but not the view angle or finger print reducing coating. I know this because if you look on the apple website, you will see that the ipad (that does not have a retina display) has a IPS screen. http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Wow... seriously dude? Some of you people here absolutely astound me.

Not only is the CPU MUCH better, but the new iPod Touch has not one, but TWO cameras, and a MUCH higher resolution display all while retaining the same price! And thats not an improvement? My god, it is impossible to please some of you. Yikes... absolutely no logic in your reasoning GoodBoy. None at all.

The CPU isn't MUCH better.. It's the same CPU.... The A4 is a SoC( system on a chip) that houses both the CPU and the gpu. The CPU is the same Cortex A8 from the last model, albeit a higher clock speed, and the gpu is also the same, the SGX 535.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Everybody who has bought one do not worry! IPS or Inter plan switching is a screen in which you will be able to view the screen better at a 178 degree viewing angle. IT DOES NOT have anything to do with contrast ratios or pixels per inch or anything like that. It means that you will have the same great screen with the sharpness and what not that the Iphone has, but not the view angle or finger print reducing coating. I know this because if you look on the apple website, you will see that the ipad (that does not have a retina display) has a IPS screen. http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/

IPS screens have better contrast ratios and black levels compare to TN screens.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Like stated milion times before... IPS is not only about better off-axis viewing, it's got much better picture quality when viewing at a normal angle too. Vivid colors and a true pure blacks. Something impossible to achievie by TN panels. Even when you look at the best engadget shots of an iPod touch 4gen, you can clearly see colors are somewhat washed out and not that rich and colorful as in iPhone's IPS screen.

Apple has made many cuts in production cost in the new touch, but it's still a good iPod.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Like stated milion times before... IPS is not only about better off-axis viewing, it's got much better picture quality when viewing at a normal angle too. Vivid colors and a true pure blacks. Something impossible to achievie by TN panels. Even when you look at the best engadget shots of an iPod touch 4gen, you can clearly see colors are somewhat washed out and not that rich and colorful as in iPhone's IPS screen.

Apple has made many cuts in production cost in the new touch, but it's still a good iPod.

You really can't assess something like color saturation and accuracy from a few shots at a hands on event. People will have to wait for more complete reviews or hands on use to do that.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009

BS, go to the Apple store and look at both this week at normal viewing angles and you will see the same image on both. Show me a link to an actual review like Engadget were the reviewer said anything like you posted a million times already. Do you thing if you keep posting this it will somehow become true ?
ipodtouch2010hands3.jpg

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
@joe1946
I actually don't have to, because in opposite to you, I know the technology difference between TN & IPS matrixes. You, on the other hand keep bs about both being same quality when viewing at normal angle. You really have to learn more about LCD technology and it's many variants.

Colors - orange, blue, green - on the above posted pic are dull and not vivid. This is something typical end expected for TN panel. Here is the further proof, with both devices shot at a more normal viewing angle

proofww.jpg

Compare especially mail, notes, and other icons. Much better and richer colors on the iPhone with overal a lot clearer and crisper screen than iPod touch.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
@joe1946
I actually don't have to, because in opposite to you, I know the technology difference between TN & IPS matrixes. You, on the other hand keep bs about both being same quality when viewing at normal angle. You really have to learn more about LCD technology and it's many variants.

Colors - orange, blue, green - on the above posted pic are dull and not vivid. This is something typical end expected for TN panel. Here is the further proof, with both devices shot at a more normal viewing angle

proofww.jpg

Compare especially mail, notes, and other icons. Much better and richer colors on the iPhone with overal a lot clearer and crisper screen than iPod touch.

LOL

You're comparing a picture where the iPhone screen is underexposed and the iPod is overexposed (brightness is higher)...

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
You're comparing a picture where the iPhone screen is underexposed and the iPod is overexposed (brightness is higher)...
Proof? I see similar if not the same brightness level on both devices. iPhone is just having different and dark wallpaper, but the visibility of icons are identical to me. I really don't get your point, you're trying to prove TN is same quality as IPS like joey1946? :D

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
LOL

Plus, when video cameras/normal camera's takes pictures/video's most devices with a display (in this case the ipod touch) are naturally not the same as if they were in real life. Plus, im sure EnGadget would of said something if there was something wrong with the colours of the iPod Touch.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Proof? I see similar if not the same brightness level on both devices. iPhone is just having different and dark wallpaper, but the visibility of icons are identical to me. I really don't get your point, you're trying to prove TN is same quality as IPS like joey1946? :D

Look at the dock, the iPod's is brighter than the iPhone one. Plus there's glare on the iPhone screen, which the camera is obviously compensating for. Weather icon - the temperature is washed out on the iPod, because the icon is too bright. Do I need to go on?

Nobody is saying TN = IPS; I use both kinds of LCDs daily so I know the differences. The debate here is whether iPod = TN or iPod = IPS, and no conclusive evidence has been presented that the new iPod has a TN panel. Besides, even Apple says the iPod screen does 24-bit color, which means 8 bits of red, green, and blue, which is NOT TN because TN is 6 bits per component color (18 bit screens)..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.