Dont lrt apple fool you

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nychot, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Nychot, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

Nychot macrumors 6502a

Lion can easily and definitely be downgraded to the far more stable and proven snow leopard. If you call apple tech support they will be emphatic -- it cant be done, we dont go backwards, it will cause damage to your machine. For whatever reason that is a LIE. i then went to my apple store, no questions asked the genius took it in the back and 20 minutes later voila snow leopard running on it so i now can use my ms office 2004 with no problem. It would not run under lion and thats the only reason i downgraded. Why apple is saying it cant and should not be done is a mystery to me. My genius said he dud it to his machine too bevause if incompatible software with liom that he had. I even brought my leopard and snow leopard disks with me and he said he'd use their own. When he brought it back 20 minutes later it had 10.6.8 and when i got home i loaded office o4. Dont forget snow leopard wss on the early 2011 mbp BEFORE lion was introduced.

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Good for you!

I'm not going back though, Lion works fine for me.

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Lion works fine for me too.

Why not just upgrade to Office 2011?

5. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Lion works fine for me also, Office 2011 is much better. <3 :apple:

6. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I love Lion, Mission Control is just so much better than Exposé + Spaces.

7. V4705 macrumors 6502

+1 here.
    At the beginning I was totally agains Lion, with time you learn to like it much better than SL.

8. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because i didnt feel i should have to pay over $100 for a new version of office which btw is highly criticized if you read offuce forums. And i didnt eant to switch to pages whuch has some compatibility problems with word. Thats why.

9. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Did your machine ship with Lion? It is my understanding that if the machine ships with Lion installed, it is not possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard, otherwise this isn't really news.

10. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Whoah... Having to pay for new software?! What a controversial idea! ;)

From what I've read, most of the screaming about Office '11 is because of the ribbon, and personally I think that one is great. I love the ribbon interface as used in MS Write and Paint in Windows 7.

Also, do realize that just because many people seem to complain on a web forum doesn't mean the feature actually is widely disliked. Only a tiny percentage of people write on forums, and most who do only do so when they have something to complain about, thus unfairly skewing the overall image towards the negative.

11. Nychot, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011

Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry but the big issue isnt the ribbon but ms strict rules about how office is used by one or more users and ms disgusting monitoring of how its used. And why the hell should i spend more money to upgrade office when i have a perfectly fine version of office on all my macs just because apple in its wisdom brought out a new os that made my office unusable.

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I am also a big fan of Office since 2007 with the ribbon. Takes less space than the old interface and still offers better accessibility.
    I think Office 2011 sucks though because its really slow software. Office 2010 running in a VM on Win7 with 1GB RAM runs a lot better more fluent than office 2011 and then it is even missing quite a few features.

Still at OSX 10.6 since Lion kills battery life for no benefit. I wouldn't upgrade for free.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not quite true, using a recovery DVD from an early 2011 MBP will work to erase and install SL.

Office 2004 sucks, and is extremely slow, were I the OP, I would've upgraded.

14. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I stand corrected. I do believe it's only machines that have never shipped with Snow Leopard.

15. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Lion's purring for me, just learn the new tricks of the trade. Eventually there will be a time where you have to upgrade because SL won't be supported forever.

16. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

And, hopefully, by then the bugs that are causing problems for the rest of us will get corrected...

17. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

So do you think Snow Leopard and Leopard were perfect on their first release as well? :rolleyes:

Far from the truth. When Leopard was released people vowed to stay with Tiger. When Snow Leopard was released people vowed to stay with Leopard.

Now these same hypocrites that lambasted Snow Leopard when it first released are saying they're staying with it because of how stable it is over Lion. Typical cycle is typical.

18. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Yup, people need to realize that Lion isn't Apple's Vista. Every time a new OSX comes out, there are a lot of people who complain about bugs and how they'll stay with the old version of OSX because the new one sucks (Tiger, Leopard, SL, and now lion)

19. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

In many cases people have downgraded OS X's onto a computer that shipped with a later OS. I tried putting Leopard Server on a friend's MacBook unibody white (the first model), it worked perfectly. I had OS X Server on an external HDD, so I just plugged it in on his computer and started with the option key held down to select the drive.

20. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive been using word in office 04 to write probably 5 or 6 of 11 nonfiction bestselling books ive produced so i do not consider it slow and doesnt suck. It does vert well for me and im not about to go to ms word 11 which i hear is slow and has multiple issues.

21. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that users can go back.

Though, I do like OS X Lion. :D

22. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

of all that was said in the thread, I have a question....

There are office forums? Really? Like office geeks listing their top 10 formulas for excel? Which is better, excel or word? stuff like that?

23. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snow leopard is very stable. Lion is horribly bloated and buggy. :D plus in the most mind numbing move by apple MAJOR prigrams are incompatible with lion. Just read hiw many people are infuriated.

----------

No but many complaints that office 11 is the only version cimpatible with lion. Others have legit questions about the program. :rolleyes:

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Stop.

A 7-year-old office suite is NOT a major program for any computer or software maker.

In fact, they couldn't care less.

And ... I'm willing to bet MS couldn't care less either - they will also tell you to ditch 2004.

25. Nychot, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011

Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didnt say 04 office was major except to me but there a number of other programs that are incompatible with lion and users are complaining. :)