Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Snow leopard is very stable. Lion is horribly bloated and buggy. :D plus in the most mind numbing move by apple MAJOR prigrams are incompatible with lion. Just read hiw many people are infuriated.

----------

No but many complaints that office 11 is the only version cimpatible with lion. Others have legit questions about the program. :rolleyes:

You write bestselling books? Your editors must love you!

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
[/COLOR]

I tried to install SL on a imac Made in Dec 2011 which shipped with Lion it said this OS is not supported so I am assuming any MBP made after Sept will not except it either - check your serial number and see when it was made then if it was made before Sept 2011 then it should allow SL but after that it is hit or miss

Obviously you need the system specific SL restore disks, as the SL retail disk is too old a version and does not have the necessary drivers.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
No. As in the head ache that it has become for Microsoft in terms of keeping it together at a technical level due to the amounts of obsolete and legacy code all mishmashed and hammered together. The design decisions and shortcuts they have had to make in the circumstances has had significant impacts. If you're really interested I can dig out something more detailed on this, but you may find it very boring unless you're interested in things like monolithic kernels.

If it's not too much trouble, sure. I like reading things like that. :)

Thanks.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I wish that I had downgraded my early 2011 MBP (shipped with Lion) when I first got it. This is my work machine and I have now installed everything that I need, and done enough work since I got the machine that downgrading now would be a major headache. For the most part I have gotten used to how Lion works, but it is less stable than SL and has network issues that my old iMac on SL never had. But unlike the OP I did get a copy of Office 2011, so at least that has not been an issue for me.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
If it's not too much trouble, sure. I like reading things like that. :)

Thanks.

This article summarises the situation I was referring to quite well. It's actually a really interesting read. Everything in there still applies, even though it's discussing Windows XP.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux

This section, in particular:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux/#monolithic

----------

Ive been using word in office 04 to write probably 5 or 6 of 11 nonfiction bestselling books ive produced so i do not consider it slow and doesnt suck. It does vert well for me and im not about to go to ms word 11 which i hear is slow and has multiple issues.

What language do you write these books in?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
As an author myself (have published 2 books so far) I can say that Pages works best for my use. I fail to understand why you're stuck up with 04 as Word 08 and 11 do the same as 04 but a lot more. Anyhow, everyone has their opinion. FYI, you should always try out the software yourself first to see if it is per your liking. Just because you heard that '11 is not stable, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is true. I have been using 08 and 11 for quite some time now (08 longer) and never had any issues (besides the ugly UI and painful everything when compared to Pages).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Just genuinely curious but...where you inebriated when you typed your post?

Also, it's not really a 'LIE' overall. The reason it worked this time is because there is very little difference between the Early '11 and Late '11 revisions in terms of hardware.

They are basically the same parts but slightly over clocked i.e. drivers are still the same. However this isn't always the case and there will be times when the downgrade simply won't work because the hardware is too different and is only supported by newer software builds.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Leopard was great: stable and problem-free.

Unfortunately, I upgraded my iMac to Snow Leopard so I could run Dragon Dictate 2.0. BIG MISTAKE! I immediately began having kernel panics, sometimes as many as three times in a day. Perviously I had experienced only one kernel panic since upgrading to 10.3 and that was many years ago.

I'm still running SL on the iMac and the kernel panics haven't happened for quite some time, but the iMac still crashes from time to time when using Safari. That never happened with earlier versions of Safari and OS X.

So far Lion has been trouble-free on my 13" MBP. I'm not crazy about some of the changes in 10.7, but at least I can get through a day without being forced to restart my Mac...

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Leopard was great: stable and problem-free.

Unfortunately, I upgraded my iMac to Snow Leopard so I could run Dragon Dictate 2.0. BIG MISTAKE! I immediately began having kernel panics, sometimes as many as three times in a day. Perviously I had experienced only one kernel panic since upgrading to 10.3 and that was many years ago.

I'm still running SL on the iMac and the kernel panics haven't happened for quite some time, but the iMac still crashes from time to time when using Safari. That never happened with earlier versions of Safari and OS X.

So far Lion has been trouble-free on my 13" MBP. I'm not crazy about some of the changes in 10.7, but at least I can get through a day without being forced to restart my Mac...

I know what you mean. This happens to me. I even used to have kernel panics too.

This article summarises the situation I was referring to quite well. It's actually a really interesting read. Everything in there still applies, even though it's discussing Windows XP.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux

Thanks.
This section, in particular:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/22/security_report_windows_vs_linux/#monolithic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.