Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Startup company doubleTwist has launched a public beta of their new universal media application for the Mac today. Their vision for the product is "a single, streamlined interface that connects to any device, media source or network." In many ways, they seem to have taken cues from Apple's iTunes and iLife suite but are taking it to the next level in both functionality and ease of use.

Readers will remember that doubleTwist was co-founded by Jon Lech Johansen ("DVD Jon"). DVD Jon gained notoriety for his involvement in releasing the DeCSS software that allowed the bypassing of DVD copy protection back in 1999. Since 2007, however, he has been working on this venture capital funded project. The product was briefly released as a Windows application in early 2008 but has since evolved into today's more mainstream product.

The Mac application allows you to browse your photos, music and movies from a single interface. It also allows you to share your media to your contacts, doubleTwist friends, or seamlessly export to Flickr, YouTube or Facebook. Most notably, the application is said to support hundreds of devices including the Android, Blackberry, PSP and more. Dragging music, photos or video to and from these attached devices will seamlessly convert the media to the appropriate formats. The iPhone and iPod are not presently supported in the Mac version but support is coming in a future update. Other demo videos also available: Send Video, Device Support

The beta Mac application is available as a free download at doubleTwist. The Windows remains in private beta but is expected for final release in March.

Article Link: DoubleTwist Beta for Mac Offers Easy Media Browsing and Sharing

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I've played with this app and it's really well done. I recommend everyone give it a try.

arn

Comment

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
I will have to give this a shot.

I don't use iPhoto, so my knowledge of it is very limited. Does it allow for easy Flickr exportation?

Comment

ftored

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
This looks nice if they manage to support most of mobile devices and mp3 players.

Wonder if the sony Walkman range of mp3 players are going to be supported. Hope so because i dont want to use windows for that..

Comment

MD5Hash

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
عمّان, ا&#1604
Pander to me, doubletwist

"...don't have to worry about all that GEEKY stuff like file formats."

"...doubletwist takes care of all that BORING work for me."

I feel like an intelligent, sophisticated software app is working right before my eyes. Thanks, Doubletwist.

Comment

gilesrulz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Hahahahaha

"It could have been any other gadget.."

Except of course the two gadgets that everyone would want to use.

Comment

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Streaming from the double twist server, hmmm, whats that gonna cost i wonder?

Comment

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Looking at the supported device list my Razr V3M may be supported. I will have to try it out and see. If it is I will be buying a 2GB memory card to add music:).

I wonder if I will be able to make ringtones?

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Streaming from the double twist server, hmmm, whats that gonna cost i wonder?

the basic service is free.

So, as a nice example. I shared a photo, an m4a song and a mp4 video with myself (different email address) and got an email with the links. So I was able to click and see/watch/listen to all of the files within a web browser (through some sort of flash player it seemed). So, seems it'd be nice to quickly share whatever with non-tech saavy folk without having to convert to some specific format. Similar things can be done with iphoto/imovie but it's not quite as seamless and you have to have .mac/mobileme.

arn

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
As far as I can tell, this is useful for people who own devices other than the iPhone or iPod and want to interact with those devices.

That's cool.

The developers, however, seem to have more in mind:

Doubletwist.com said:
Our vision is to provide for media what the browser achieved for the web: a single, streamlined interface that connects to any device, media source or network.

I have to admit, I'm not really sure what any of this means beyond what I described in my first paragraph.

EDIT: Arn's last post helps, but if that's the case their website does a very poor job of explaining that. I think everything you need to know is in that site somewhere, but it's not presented in a very easy to understand way.

Comment

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
My God the woman in that video sounds patronising, you just want to kill her by the end of it. "Your AAAAAAAAALLLLL Set" what am? 2?!?! Im not learning how to tie my shoelaces!!

The app looks nice the way its integrated into OS X though.

Comment

Tymmz

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Very nice.

This might be the app I was hoping for for a long time.

Works great so far.

Comment

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I think that the guys at DoubleTwist will be having a field day from downloads after being featured on the front page of MacRumors, lol, what an audience!

The App looks pretty cool. I may just try it out. :D

Comment

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
I guess when they add iPhone and iPod support, it won't be free?

Until then, no point for some.

Comment

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
"...don't have to worry about all that GEEKY stuff like file formats."

"...doubletwist takes care of all that BORING work for me."

I feel like an intelligent, sophisticated software app is working right before my eyes. Thanks, Doubletwist.

lol

I was like geeky file formats? That's like saying "geeky car parts". I'm no mechanic but I knwo some basic parts, sheesh. :)

Comment
Get a load of who venture-founded this company...

doubletwist.com said:
We are a venture funded company founded in Oslo, Norway by Monique Farantzos and Jon Lech Johansen (aka DVD Jon). We moved to California because we couldn't stomach the Norwegian winter. [Emphasis added.]

And now it's here in the 'States... Betcha Jon is strictly a telecommuter, heh heh heh...

Comment

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
If it does MKV's I'm set. Converting these into iTunes, then transferring to Bert (My iPod) is a pain.

Plug in, Selects, Transfer (convert in background)... can it really be that simple.

I think this coud be THE app everyone uses, and everyone won't have a million different apps to recommend when someone asks you about putting videos onto your iPod. Now if they coud have YouTube downloading in it, it would be perfect for all my friends who don't understand the "Geeky file types".

Comment

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
God, that woman was both patronising and irritating and seemingly purposefully, when did that seem like a good idea to sell a product?

Comment

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
God, that woman was both patronising and irritating and seemingly purposefully, when did that seem like a good idea to sell a product?

If it were my company and my product, I would want that video pulled and replaced immediately. But what do I know, I'm just a marketing exec.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.