Doubts and Speculation Surround Apple's Onstage Face ID 'Fail' During iPhone X Keynote [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. sanook997 macrumors regular

And you know this how???

2. scarecrowmac macrumors member

scarecrowmac

Face ID is the only thing that’s worrying me about the iPhone X

3. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Incredible how no amount of breakthrough technologies Apple itroduces or refines (touchscreen keyboards, TouchID for example) seems to be enough for people to trust them.

And the mosr laughable part is that TouchID does have some inherent drawbacks (wet hands, gloves) that FaceID doesn't have, and a much higher rate of false positives.

4. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

I don't believe anything I see in marketing photos!!

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Guarantee this works perfectly. It looks like it was rebooted, or too many faces tried to open it.

6. sanook997 macrumors regular

No one whats to hear this...its not "CLICKABLE"

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I hope there’s a lot of this as then there will be more X’s for the rest of us. :D

8. neuropsychguy macrumors 6502a

neuropsychguy

I think the rule is this: The passcode has not been used to unlock the device in the last six days and TouchID has not unlocked the device in the last eight hours.

I've had to enter my passcode some mornings. It's not very often (1-2 times per month) but it happens when I know my phone hasn't restarted and there haven't been other people trying to access it.

9. shareef777 macrumors 68000

shareef777

Then how does TouchID continue to work every single day when waking up from sleep?

10. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

What bothered me more than the failure (we've all had Touch ID fail) is that he kept saying things like "Look directly at the phone" and would hold it straight in front of his face. I think the rumors about this working at extreme angles while sitting flat on a surface were wrong.

11. timmyh Contributing Editor

timmyh

I believe it's required after 48 hours have elapsed and Touch ID hasn't been used, or if the passcode hasn't been input for six and a half days, which is a long time and why I didn't mention it, but I've added it in the article for you. It may have changed with Face ID as well, so it's still a point of contention I guess.

12. Ries macrumors 68000

Then it would have asked for pass code at the first try, not fail, then fail again and ask.

13. Act3 macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe he didn't rehearse unlocking with that phone just prior to going on stage.

14. Whimseh macrumors member

And I thought my mind was bad at overthinking!

It’s a live demo, stuff always has, can and will happen.

15. sanook997 macrumors regular

You
    Interesting, you know in Asia where I live that burger looks like the AD every time, its only in the states where they sit on the burgers.......

16. RecentlyConverted macrumors regular

its nice to see these things go wrong. How many times have we as users had devices not work as they should, and we don't generally have the option of pulling out a spare. Apple devices are good, sometimes great but they never have been or will be perfect and these events try and tell us they are perfect (except this time they where honest about the security levels of Touch ID and Face ID).

17. MacATDBB macrumors newbie

MacATDBB

I feel Craig is one of Apple's best execs for presenting new technologies and communicating enthusiasm. On this occasion though it seems he missed an opportunity to present the lock screen as just an additional layer of security that is enabled after a certain amount of idle time. They'd probably decided well in advance that in case of *any* problems they'd go the backup route - but this always leaves a slight suspicion that the backup was tweaked to accept any face as a contingency.
    Nonetheless I'd much prefer a sub-screen touch ID if they could sort out the manufacturing. FaceID looks like a solution to a problem they created through their design change rather than something that's inherently better for the customer.

18. Brammy macrumors 65816

He has come a long way from the days of his hands shaking on stage so much he couldn't control the mouse. Now he is one of Apple's better presenters.

19. sirdir macrumors regular

sirdir

I doubt they'll bring Touch ID back after claiming they have something better now.

20. joesixgig macrumors regular

joesixgig

I'm curious how well it can recognize me after a night of sleep. Trying to face unlock my 950XL in the morning it often has no idea who this puffy eyed guy is.

21. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Yeah, that "your passcode is required" has to go. What's the point of biometrics when you constantly need to use the passcode. You need it when you reboot, after 48 hours, if you upgrade the OS - enough. Either have biometrics or don't havre them. The passcode should only be necessary if the other methods fail.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

For all I knew TouchID was impenetrable. Now, it's 20x less secure than the new option.

23. LoganSpinks29 macrumors newbie

LoganSpinks29

As this is a new product that does not even ship out until November 3, Apple has time to refine Face ID to make it better. Also, I believe that Touch ID becomes inactive after 8 hours or something within that range. I for one, am excited to order the iPhone X, and truthfully, if one is dissatisfied with the removal of Face ID, then the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are excellent alternatives with Touch ID included.

24. sirdir macrumors regular

sirdir

I wonder if it will still work when you wear sunglasses. I guess not. That'll be bad.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If it was just turned on, there should be a "restart" notice in the prompt:

touchid_restart.jpg

As for triggering the passcode prompt because of too many unlock attempts, that raises a far more important question:

- Does that mean that if multiple people pass by the phone,
    will the passcode prompt will be triggered after say, the fifth invalid face check? That would be incredibly annoying.

- Also, sorry, I got interrupted during the show... but did they mention how you're supposed to unlock and show stuff to a friend (or hand them the phone) without it locking again ?

Thanks for any insights.

26. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I did notice that big one, but it could have been a sudden bug that showed it's face.