Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Incredible how no amount of breakthrough technologies Apple itroduces or refines (touchscreen keyboards, TouchID for example) seems to be enough for people to trust them.

And the mosr laughable part is that TouchID does have some inherent drawbacks (wet hands, gloves) that FaceID doesn't have, and a much higher rate of false positives.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
faceid.jpg
I don't believe anything I see in marketing photos!!

Exhibit A:
burger-advert-4.jpg

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Guarantee this works perfectly. It looks like it was rebooted, or too many faces tried to open it.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
I can't believe there are theories! It clearly says on the screen "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID" as we also see with current iPhone, except it's Touch ID rather than Face ID. Either it was just turned on, or someone else tried to unlock it many times, as would happen if someone else whose fingerprint isn't registered tried to use Touch ID.

No one whats to hear this...its not "CLICKABLE"

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I am on iOS11, and no, I don't have to enter my passcode every morning.

I think the rule is this: The passcode has not been used to unlock the device in the last six days and TouchID has not unlocked the device in the last eight hours.

I've had to enter my passcode some mornings. It's not very often (1-2 times per month) but it happens when I know my phone hasn't restarted and there haven't been other people trying to access it.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe author isn't an iOS user because that message appears if you don't use your iphone for 5 hours — Touch ID (and Face ID) tokens are zeroed after five hours in non-use state and you have to enter passcode to reenable the security feature. I bet that was the case on stage.

Then how does TouchID continue to work every single day when waking up from sleep?

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
Maybe author isn't an iOS user because that message appears if you don't use your iphone for 5 hours — Touch ID (and Face ID) tokens are zeroed after five hours in non-use state and you have to enter passcode to reenable the security feature. I bet that was the case on stage.

I believe it's required after 48 hours have elapsed and Touch ID hasn't been used, or if the passcode hasn't been input for six and a half days, which is a long time and why I didn't mention it, but I've added it in the article for you. It may have changed with Face ID as well, so it's still a point of contention I guess.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I truly believe it was the second explanation. Rebooted with no passcode punched in.

That being said, I'm having some serious doubts that FaceID will be better than TouchID.

I will be waiting for some solid reviews on this one.

Then it would have asked for pass code at the first try, not fail, then fail again and ask.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

I find it hard to believe he didn't rehearse unlocking with that phone just prior to going on stage.

Whimseh

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
And I thought my mind was bad at overthinking!

It’s a live demo, stuff always has, can and will happen.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
its nice to see these things go wrong. How many times have we as users had devices not work as they should, and we don't generally have the option of pulling out a spare. Apple devices are good, sometimes great but they never have been or will be perfect and these events try and tell us they are perfect (except this time they where honest about the security levels of Touch ID and Face ID).

MacATDBB

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Michigan
I feel Craig is one of Apple's best execs for presenting new technologies and communicating enthusiasm. On this occasion though it seems he missed an opportunity to present the lock screen as just an additional layer of security that is enabled after a certain amount of idle time. They'd probably decided well in advance that in case of *any* problems they'd go the backup route - but this always leaves a slight suspicion that the backup was tweaked to accept any face as a contingency.
Nonetheless I'd much prefer a sub-screen touch ID if they could sort out the manufacturing. FaceID looks like a solution to a problem they created through their design change rather than something that's inherently better for the customer.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I think Craig handled it pretty well too, not really missing his step and simply continuing on.

He has come a long way from the days of his hands shaking on stage so much he couldn't control the mouse. Now he is one of Apple's better presenters.

Reactions: iReality85

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
I knew when watching that it would be a massive area for doubt and speculation. It is either that it had previously detected a face when setting up the demo units or it just didn’t work. Personally I think it had already been locked by other faces. Either way I hope the months of doubt encourages them to work on embedded Touch ID. To be fair, he did do it several times on the other unit to prove it worked.

I doubt they'll bring Touch ID back after claiming they have something better now.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, that "your passcode is required" has to go. What's the point of biometrics when you constantly need to use the passcode. You need it when you reboot, after 48 hours, if you upgrade the OS - enough. Either have biometrics or don't havre them. The passcode should only be necessary if the other methods fail.

LoganSpinks29

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2017
As this is a new product that does not even ship out until November 3, Apple has time to refine Face ID to make it better. Also, I believe that Touch ID becomes inactive after 8 hours or something within that range. I for one, am excited to order the iPhone X, and truthfully, if one is dissatisfied with the removal of Face ID, then the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are excellent alternatives with Touch ID included.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I can't believe there are theories! It clearly says on the screen "Your passcode is required to enable Face ID" as we also see with current iPhone, except it's Touch ID rather than Face ID. Either it was just turned on, or someone else tried to unlock it many times, as would happen if someone else whose fingerprint isn't registered tried to use Touch ID.

If it was just turned on, there should be a "restart" notice in the prompt:

touchid_restart.jpg

As for triggering the passcode prompt because of too many unlock attempts, that raises a far more important question:

- Does that mean that if multiple people pass by the phone,
will the passcode prompt will be triggered after say, the fifth invalid face check? That would be incredibly annoying.

- Also, sorry, I got interrupted during the show... but did they mention how you're supposed to unlock and show stuff to a friend (or hand them the phone) without it locking again ?

Thanks for any insights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.