Dragon Age: Origins

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JackAxe, Nov 3, 2009.

1. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm picking up my copy -- well, my license -- later this morning.

I'm going to buy the nerd edition, which is probably a mistake. Anyways, I'm actually excited about this game, so I hope it lives up to my expectations. If it's half as good as The Witcher, I'll be quite happy.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, please let us know what you think...I was looking forward to this game until I saw gameplay of it and its not my type of RPG...I'm still holding hope that it still has real time battles and not turn based(I hate turn based)

Bless

4. cubby03 macrumors member

Are you by chance playing through Bootcamp? Thanks for any impressions that you can give regardless.

I am torn on which version to get. I have a Spring 2009 Mini with the higher end CPU and 4 GB of RAM hooked up to my plasma and would love to play it this way. Just not sure how it would run using XP. I keep hearing about CPU bottlenecks and that having a Quad core is the way to go.

5. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I also have the CE through Steam and will be grabbing it as soon as it becomes available this afternoon ...

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

If this post is about the computer version. Why is this in the console section?

Also, is there a version really called the "nerd edition?" What is it? I can't believe they would release something named like that. :confused:

7. cubby03 macrumors member

Sorry if I took it off-topic. There is no other discussion about the game on this forum and I just wondered as I am not sure which version to get.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There are three versions of this game I am aware of- 360, PS, PC. So discussions regarding Dragon Age could go in either section.

I'm a sucker for good RPGs. Although opinions vary on Oblivion, I played it for 18 months, *I* found it that good! :) Regarding DAO, I'd like to know how open is the landscape? Is it total alleys like Fable, invisible fences like The Witcher, or completely open landscape (except for city/dungeon entrance loads) like Oblivion or even WoW. Yes, I prefer open environments! Would a "alleys" environment keep me from buying it? No, but most likely I'd wait to see a demo before I purchase.
    Thanks.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Its installing now! I opted for the Windows version, it will have more support for mods and the fact that you can make your own cut scenes and then post them for all really interests me.

10. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Went for the PS3 version, just as a matter of convenience, I'd rather play sitting on my couch then at a computer. If you want the most options though PC looks to be the way to go.

11. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

bob5820, you know that you can plug a computer into any HD TV and even use a gamepad on one. But that's probably not ideal for everyone. ;)

The NERD edition comes in a metal box just like Metroid Prime Triology. It doesn't have as much stuff as The Witcher Enhanced, but I like the box and the tiny-little-incy-wincy cloth map.

I'm only in the first dungeon, but so far I'm really digging this game. There are LOTS of options, all very very VERY mouse happy. I'll be curious to see how they manage this on a gamepad. With pausing, that input should be a non-issue. The inventory system is WAY better than the abomination that was Mass Effect, it actually has categories, so that right there makes me happy.

I'm not sure if this game is going to have really large open areas yet, as the first part of the game has lead me down a path into a cave. The Witcher never seemed this closed off, unless I was in a house, so I'll just have to play to see how things pan out. DA seems to be a good mix of the old and new RPGs, so overhead and 3rd person. I'm finding myself more in 3rd person, since I played Mass Effect and started Jade Empire this way, but with the walls in this first dungeon and the spiders surrounding me, going to overhead has its advantages. The Witcher has an overhead feature also, but it never really seemed right playing it in that mode -- since the game was really tailored for up-close battle.

The combat is similar to a game like Diablo so far, where as you just click on what you want to attack, but the game can also be paused to do more advance tactics -- it seems somewhat similar to Mass Effect on the PC. There's the usual control over other characters, so how they'll behave when an enemy is on the screen and wait here, or move around.

Anyways, it's still too early, but everything feels right and it was easy to get into. I started on nightmare, so the EVIL spiders have already killed me twice -- I'm playing as a Dalish Elf, so I'm not sure if other characters start in the same area. I was kind of hoping for a Mass Effect intro though, where they walk Shepard through the Normandy. The intro for DA was good, but it just didn't have that grandeur that ME had the first time I played it with the music and so on and my character making an entrance. :eek:

Antares,

Did you not know that this game was multi-platform? Also, I'm pondering why you took my nerd-edition comment so literal I was just kidding, as paying more for a special edition of a game is generally something that a nerd will do. :p

cubby03,

I'm running on an actual PC -- i7 920(Had a Core 2 9450, but gave it to a friend and his family.). I haven't actually dealt with Bootcamp on my Core 2 MacBook pro, but have considered trying it. It only has the 1600 -- I think XT, with 256 vram, so I'm not sure how well it would do with newer games.

A quad would be better for the long run, especially with games, but current games rarely need more than what 2 cores can handle -- at least from what I've observed. The GPU is much more important, but you still need to be able to feed it, which the Core 2 level procs can do nicely. I'm not sure about the current Mini's GPU(9400m), as it's more of a low-power GPU. If anything, it's at least above the minimum requirements for this game. I'm sure it will be able to run this game at 720p on lower settings fairly good. Most of the detail in this game is focused on the characters -- mostly their faces. The rest seems kind of light in comparison, so easier for for a wider variety of comps to handle.

12. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Thing to remember - Dragon Age is the spiritual successor to "Baldur's Gate", not the shooter-centric Mass Effect or the mindless (but high quality & loads of fun) clickfest Diablo or a certain console action game with RPG-lite elements. So in terms of determining whether or not you'll like it, it is best to look at the game it derives from.

Baldur's Gate - and Dragon Age - are story and character heavy RPG's full of dialogue and options. The maps are complex and designed - it is not an open world setting, but from what I have seen the maps are a mix of small and large, constrained and fairly open.

If you are looking for a 'single player MMO' like Oblivion, this is a very different experience - there is about 10x more story and infinitely more choices with consequences in just the 'origin' stories than in the entirety of Oblivion and the expansions. That isn't a put-down for Oblivion - is it not a story & character based game and is entirely unconcerned with things like class-based development and meaningful choices. Dragon Age is.

As for combat, it is also in the tradition of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights - Real-Time with Pause (RTwP). You can play it in simulated real-time mode and it works pretty well simulating the feel of an action-RPG, but even in my limited time I can feel it is a turn-based engine underneath.

Oh - I'm playing on my unibody MBP and it is a thing of beauty in bootcamp.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the report! I understand the difference between Oblivion and DAO as you've described them. In Oblivion, it was the emersion factor of the wide open spaces and outstanding environment, that I found so appealing, in effect it is a solo MMO. But I admit Oblivion was far from being a perfect game. I'm still bewildered why Bethesda chose to have mostly ugly characters populating it.

Anyway emersion significantly means the freedom to roam, IMO. I really hate invisible walls, NWN2 comes to mind- You are in a swamp and when you try a make a bee-line, you smack right into an invisible barrier. Crud! The Witcher had some of those too, but I was able to play it for a while before something else snagged my attention. (WoW round 2, from which I am retired and now more focused on solo games.)

Regardless, I'll probably be purchasing DAO.

14. tyler34862 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'm struggling to decide whether to purchase DA:O or not, and my computer's graphics capabilities are a big factor. I'm running an nvidia 9400m in my 13", and was wondering if your experience was with a 9400m or 9600m. Thanks!

15. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

9600M / 512MB graphics.

Not sure how well it scales to 9400, honestly.

16. cubby03 macrumors member

Thanks JackAxe! I have my Mini hooked up to my 1080p plasma. I may try the PC version tonight, hopefully it will work out.

17. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

cubby03,

Hopefully all goes well, most of the detail is optimized for being panned out on the camera -- up close somethings are downright ugly, so I can't imagine this game taxing your mini if the resolution and settings are right, especially since it was PC from the start, so they were optimizing it for much older GPUs.

++++

I've played quite a bit more and I'm glad I'm on nightmare difficulty. It keeps me on my toes. I'm just getting used to managing my current party, as the game is still mixing things up. I chose archery, as I like rangers, but I'm not strong enough, so I'm constantly having to switch to my sword since I can't kill anything from a distance.

It's worth buying Huntn. It's Bioware, so it has all the charm of their previous titles, but wrapped in a highly polished engine that carried over the best parts of their previous games. Unless this game takes a turn for the worse -- which I can't imagine, I'm going to play it again with the different races, as their stories will differ.

2nyRiggz,

As txa1265 pointed out, the game does a good job at making it seem like it's all real-time, so it's up to you if you want to run into a battle, or take a step back. I generally charge, die, then rethink my mistakes. :eek:

Anyways, I really hope that the improvements I'm seeing in this this game carry over the to Mass Effect 2, even though that game uses a different engine. I just need to remap some of my keys for this game so that it's like The Witcher.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bioware, makes it a big plus for me. One thing about fantasy RPGs, it frequently seems you are struggling against mobs especially as a caster. This is in comparison to Borderlands where with the right equipment, you can actually make one head-shot kills. :) I enjoy the fantasy setting but wish I had more opportunities in the fantasy RPGs to really have that supreme sense of power.

19. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I always play a mage, and honestly the Bioware style works better for that in the early game than stuff like the Gothic games ... (incl Risen).

I like that my little group now has my mage, an archer and two sword-wielders. It balances nicely and allows me to lend offense and support.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well Mass Effect 2 previewers of both the PC & 360 code have all stated that the frame-rate is smooth, and they have sorted out the streaming of texture detail so that there is no more texture load in problems.

I'm going to wait for a demo of Dragon Age before I purchase. I just don't know which version to get. I know the PC is supposed to be the best, and I do have a mac-pro & bootcamp so that's an option, however I prefer to play on consoles. PS3 version seems to have serious framerate problems outside of the usual corridors and indoor settings. 360 is supposed to be a bit muddier texture wise. If a demo becomes available for all formats, I'll try all three and decide from there. Until then my apprehension about buying a gimped version is holding me back.

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Actually what I've read in reviews that both suffer from frame-rate issues wit the PS3 twitching a little bit more than usual but the 360 textures, frame-rate and loading times are under par of the other versions....If you can't get it on the PC it looks like the PS3 is the next best step but that doesn't mean the 360 version is bad.

JackAxe - thanks but I'm still a little iffy about the console controls...one of my friends got the game on the 360 and it seems to take a lot of unnecessary clicks to get to the magic/option you want.

Bless

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I think the fact DemonSouls is on the PS3 and I'm still scraping the surface of that AAA game, so another AAA dungeon crawler vying for my time on PS3 is again making me dubious. However the PS3 version doesn't come out here for another couple of weeks, so I have plenty of time to make my mind up.

23. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Just for reference the PC version has great looks, great controls and great performance. Clearly the optimum choice ... if your PC will run it.

After dumbed-down consolitis games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, it si about time.

24. Iso79 macrumors member

Anyone have this game running on the latest 2.8 MBP? How's the performance?

25. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn