Driver's license question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jav6454, Sep 3, 2013.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hello fellow members,

Quick question with regards to driver's license stuff. I am currently in Louisiana, but will soon move to California, my job apparently likes to move us a lot.

How do I go about my driver's license? Do I go to the DMV and ask what exactly? (I want to change it to match my new address)

Do I forfeit the LA license? Do I take the test again (while I wish not to)?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You go to the DMV (make an appointment!), pay the fees, and take the test. If you forfeit your LA license, then you only take the written. Otherwise you'll have to do a road test too. Hell if I know why. This website can answer most questions: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm

3. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Highly doubt you have to take the test again
    Just go to the DMV and update the address with the one in Cali. Pay a small fee to get another card with updated info... I think.

4. Roller macrumors 68020

From the CA DMV site:

"If you have a license from another country, you will be required to take a driving test. If you have a license from another state, the driving test can be waived."

5. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thanks, this should help a lot. Although, I wasn't looking forward to that written test.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should have to take the written test, I don't disagree with this policy. Oddly that information is on the CA DMV site. You'll also be able to get a hold of the study guide before you get to CA if you choose to study.

Depending upon your destination city, you may want to consider leaving a good half day for the DMV. There's a smaller office in Costa Mesa that is generally easy to get through in a matter of an hour or so (or was 5 years ago), but many DMVs are crowded and nothing is quick at the CA DMV.

I don't know about LA, but CA doesn't split their offices between licensing, registration, etc. They're all merged and this causes a long wait time. NC splits these agencies and it is pretty awesome.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'll mention this again for the OP: make an appointment. In CA you can make an appointment and this can help substantially with wait times.

8. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

LA does it the same way. All in one stop for car registration, tickets and the likes.

Yeah it was there on their site, but I know there are always those small details people will tell you that the gov't site doesn't.

Like the long lines in CA DMVs....

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

As GoCubsGo said above, get the study guide. I had been driving for years when I had to get a CA license (a couple of decades ago). For example, there are important differences in the distances you stay away from stop signs and hydrants when parking. I also had to take the driving test, and again - the study guide will point out important differences in the rules you may be use to.

Good Luck

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

There is also:

-Driving in the company of light rail
    -Parking on hills
    -Color coded curbs

to name a few other items you may have to learn. It is all rather trivial.

11. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

This is good to know. I'm currently residing in Washington State and moving to LA next Tuesday. Does this also apply to the written test, or am I required to take that? I am well aware that there are different driving rules in CA (especially the DO NOT TURN when there are pedestrians crossing a street, no matter how far they are from you), so I wouldn't be surprised if the written test is required.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes you have to take the written test.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm

13. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Years ago, I had a Texas drivers license, was getting out of the Navy, moved to Minnesota and they made me take the written test. They had a quick reference guide and the test was mostly common sense.

14. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

First off, definitely make an appointment. People whine about the DMV, but it is really easy if done with an online appointment.

Secondly: the written exam is a joke in CA. Any half-wit can pass.

15. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If I remember correctly, CA DMV in the Bay Area did not issue the new license right away. They took your picture, gave you a paper receipt and the card would follow in the mail a couple of weeks later.

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You are correct, but based on my experiences living elsewhere I didn't even know there were places with on-demand issuance of licenses (as you imply).

17. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Based on personal experience - Oregon, Arizona... provided you got all your ID documents, pass all tests et al. In AZ, you prove ID/ citizenship, turn in out-of-state license, stand in line for a picture and boom you the get the card printed right there and you are on your way.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Interesting, I had no idea!

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Road test is to show experience, your current license shows that. Written test is to show familiarity with the new states rules, which may differ.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The question is why would you have to forfeit the license; merely showing it demonstrates what you say here.

I know why we require the written test, and I agree with it.

21. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Sorry, misunderstood your question. States want to discourage dual identities/residency because it is associated with criminal and other activities.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I admit it was ambiguous. :p

And I suppose I can see that as an argument to require forfeiture...

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

When I have moved and changed license (CO-NY and NY-CO), I merely went to dmv and swapped my current license with the new state...no tests, just the license fee and also showing other forms of id

If you have any endorsements (like a motorcycle), make sure that it gets transferred as well

----------

CO used to be like that too. Nowadays, you get a paper slip and wait a week or so

24. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I called DMV in Ontario area. Well, they were (to say the least) nice about me asking a lot. Yes I have to take the written exam (that sucks) due to certain law changes between Louisiana and California.

I do have to forfeit my LA license tho. Serves as a record that I did a transfer.

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

In BC (British Columbia, Canada) they mail you the license. It is one of those fancy schmancy hi-tech licenses. Holographic imprints, the photo appears as a hologram as well as digitally printed as part of the license card (as opposed to being a photo pasted on), tactile bumps, a magnetic strip as well as n a machine readable optical strip. And this isn't even the 'security enhanced' version that I can use instead of a passport when crossing into the US.