Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iounno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Hey everyone, I purchased my iPhone 5s on Feb. 16th, received it on the 24th, and dropped it on yesterday on the 7th. I had on a Caudabe "The Veil" and a Spigen Ultra Oleophobic screen protector.

This is what happened to the case.
rAqtscy.jpg

And this is what happened to my phone.
EhdYDOc.jpg

I purchased it from BestBuy. If I go to an Apple store, will they replace it or will BestBuy? Today is not a good day. Thanks.

al0kz

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
Avoidable human error doesn't and won't constitute a regular warranty swap, especially since you dropped it. You shouldnt expect a case like the veil to provide any sort of drop protection.

With that said it sucks that it happened but at least the screen or any of the glass pieces didn't crack hindering your ability to use it. You might be able to to get lucky as I've had a friend that bent his iphone 5 when closing a car door on it and managed to get a swap (no idea how). A thicker case should cover up the damage though.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
LOOOOOOOLZ.

it's just a phone bro. Life goes on.

Send me a post when you drop your iPhone 6s and lets see if you still care about this phone.

Iounno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Avoidable human error doesn't and won't constitute a regular warranty swap, especially since you dropped it. You shouldnt expect a case like the veil to provide any sort of drop protection.

With that said it sucks that it happened but at least the screen or any of the glass pieces didn't crack hindering your ability to use it. You might be able to to get lucky as I've had a friend that bent his iphone 5 when closing a car door on it and managed to get a swap (no idea how). A thicker case should cover up the damage though.

Great... I'll try I guess.

If you have AppleCare + yes for $79 you can use one of your incidents.
Otherwise no.

Don't have AppleCare+ so there goes that.

Iounno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Yep, it's just a phone.

Yeah but it's a $750 (off-contract) phone that I didn't want any damage to and it hasn't even been 30 days. Funny, my 4S never had a case or anything and I dropped it hundreds of times with just some scratches on the back.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yeah but it's a $750 (off-contract) phone that I didn't want any damage to and it hasn't even been 30 days. Funny, my 4S never had a case or anything and I dropped it hundreds of times with just some scratches on the back.

It was stainless steel, not soft aluminum.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

Sorry but I just can't see getting stressed about a ding on my phone. Been naked since iPhone day one, nick here, ding there.....thats life. Now about you forking over 750 for an iPhone.....I can't help you with that, to me thats nuts.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth

Might be a little bulky but I would recommend the otter box commuter series.

Its a great case and has protected my iPhone 5 and now 5S from numerous falls that would 100% have resulted in screen cracks or dents.

just today I dropped it while doing cardio at the gym and it took a almost 5 foot drop from the cup holder and then a run down the belt on the machine but not a single scratch thanks to Otterbox Commuter case!

Iounno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Sorry but I just can't see getting stressed about a ding on my phone. Been naked since iPhone day one, nick here, ding there.....thats life. Now about you forking over 750 for an iPhone.....I can't help you with that, to me thats nuts.

Yeah. I usually wouldn't get that upset since you can't see it once my case is replaced, but I was going to sell it when I go to get a new phone. Nah, I paid $250 but was saying it since that's the regular price of one.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hey everyone, I purchased my iPhone 5s on Feb. 16th, received it on the 24th, and dropped it on yesterday on the 7th. I had on a Caudabe "The Veil" and a Spigen Ultra Oleophobic screen protector.

[...]

I purchased it from BestBuy. If I go to an Apple store, will they replace it or will BestBuy? Today is not a good day. Thanks.

Get a Magpull case. Way better in terms of resistance against falls.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Nah, I paid $250 but was saying it since that's the regular price of one.

Sorry but now I gotta call BS. A lot of people pay the humungous price for the newest iPhone...just not me. Nothing to be embarrassed about, your not alone but that ding wont's take away from the price much if any when you sell it.

Iounno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Get a Magpull case. Way better in terms of resistance against falls.

Already too late lol, but Caudabe will replace my case I think. It was a really stupid way for me to drop it so I doubt it'll happen again.

Sorry but now I gotta call BS. A lot of people pay the humungous price for the newest iPhone...just not me. Nothing to be embarrassed about, your not alone but that ding wont's take away from the price much if any when you sell it.

Why do you have to call BS? I used the non-carrier price, but I paid $250 (carrier, plus $50 on sale) price. It won't? Why not? I'd assume it would a lot.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010

Why would they replace it?

----------

You dropped it 100 times? There may be a medical reason for that kind of clumsiness. Seriously, no offense meant, but you might want to mention that to a dr. In the meantime you need to do more to protect your gadgets. Good luck.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The reason I got The Veil was because I don't like to make my phone huge. But I understand.

You do realize Magpull cases don't make your phone huge. Magpull is known for their low profile and high quality cases. Don't trust me? Look it up everywhere else.

Look at pictures with Magpull cases. They are very slim and add no bulk.

dirtclod

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2011
That's all that happened and you're having a coronary? Seriously?

Be thankful it wasn't worse, take a chill pill buy and Otter Box case and carry the eff on......

Next!

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
iPhones are relatively fragile. The choices are risk it being damaged or get a heavy duty case.

I don't use a screen protector or a case. Carry it in a dedicated front pocket so the screen stays perfect.

If I drop it I'll simply replace it. That's my choice.

So far I've had every model of iPhone since day one. Been lucky and haven't dropped any of them. I'm probably overdue :)

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Should have used a halfway decent case if you were worried about scratches and/or dents if you drop it a lot. Your pretty much stuck with it. Apple and Best Buy don't have to replace it as there is no legitimate problems.

Iounno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Yeah I get it guys. I know it was my fault, was just a really stupid mistake. I had it in my coat pocket that I usually zip up but I was bending down to pick up a wrapper I accidentally dropped and it just fell out. It's not that bad and you can't see it with a case, just wish it wouldn't have happened in case I need to sell it. My 4S was made a lot better in my opinion, but oh well.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yeah I get it guys. I know it was my fault, was just a really stupid mistake. I had it in my coat pocket that I usually zip up but I was bending down to pick up a wrapper I accidentally dropped and it just fell out. It's not that bad and you can't see it with a case, just wish it wouldn't have happened in case I need to sell it. My 4S was made a lot better in my opinion, but oh well.

Well, yeah. Compared to the 5/5s, the 4s was an ****** brick. Not only that, but the 4 was made of stainless steel, not aluminum like the 5/5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.