Dropped iPhone 6 plus after only 2 days. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hotdeck, Oct 9, 2014.

1. hotdeck macrumors newbie

This morning I dropped the new phone on concrete ground and one corner had some fairly deep scratches. The phone seems to work properly otherwise. What are my options if I don't want to live with these scratches? Can I return it? Is it possible to buy applecare+ with these dings? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    No, you can't it unless you've got Applecare - in which case you'd still need to dish out the $79 or something thereabouts for the replacement. Though I'm not sure they would replacement depending on how bad, or not bad the damage is. IIRC, they won't replace a phone for simply cosmetic issues. Maybe some else can chime in.

No, you cannot buy Applecare after you've already damaged the phone.

You dropped your phone. All on you. Live up to it and deal with it.

3. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Return turn it and hopefully they don't open the box to inspect it and possibly comment on the boo boo.

4. bugelrex macrumors regular

Some credit cards will cover accidents for the first X days of purchase

5. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    This is a good point!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Aren't you just a winner?

OP: Too late for AC+ if you go by the letter of the actual policy so you get an OOW replacement or you live with it. Put a case on it.

Bottom line is you'll do whatever you want to do, right or wrong as it is your choice.

7. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

There's great advice. Cause damage to your phone, completely your fault, and then try to hide it and return it, and be sneaky about it, and dodge personal responsibility. :rolleyes:

You need to take it in, if you don't have Applecare+, purchase it, and if anything else goes wring with it, they will replace it. That is, IF they allow you to purchase the Applecare with a ding. They might. You now have 60 days to purchase it after you buy your phone. When I washed my 5S, they replaced it fully for $79.

Basically, if you can't live with the dings, It's going to cost you at least $179. You just need to live with it, or own your mistake and pay for it.

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Threads like these boggle my mind. Let me put it in terms everyone can understand.

You buy a new car and did not get insurance. You wreck it. You then ask people what your options are?

Get insurance after the fact or return it?

Really? :confused:

I don't get why people ask these questions. Lots of options are available to you BEFORE and DURING your purchase. Even AFTER you have case options. You mucked up your phone, suck it up and move on. Learn from the lesson.

9. Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

It amazes me...

Apple even gives you 60 days AFTER you purchase your phone to get insurance.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

Cover it with a nice Apple leather case and you'll forget the cosmetic damage in no time. Cases may not prevent all possible damage, but I think one might have helped in this instance...

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I'd probably just say loser. :)

But the OP doesn't have any options (not sure how the OOW works or the terms) here and I don't think there's much he could do in terms of the wrong thing. Apple would see the damage and he can't get Applecare. He'll just have to live with it. Sounds like he had no case on it to protect it. I know these phones are made to be used without a case but it's risky.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

AC+ doesn't cover cosmetic damage including scratches.

13. justinf77 macrumors 6502

Just call AppleCare at 800-275-2273. You can add it over the phone, and as long as the phone passes remote diagnostics, they'll activate it.

If it were my phone, I'd add AppleCare now, since you know you're already prone to dropping it. But I wouldn't get a replacement until a future accident happened. In my opinion, it's not worth wasting money on one of your replacements for some scratches in the corner of a fully functional device.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I realize you're helping the OP but dishonest tactics of the consumer is just one of the reasons why the deductible went up from $49 to $79.

15. bugelrex macrumors regular

For Applecare+ if you pay the $79 replacement cost, you can just ask for a replacement even for just a tiny scratch no questions asked. Is this really true? Seems too generous

16. justinf77 macrumors 6502

If the phone is fully functional, and passes all the remote diagnostics, I don't see how this is being dishonest. Scratches on a phone's corner are purely cosmetic and shouldn't disqualify it for insurance coverage if the phone is deemed fully functional by Apple's standards.

By going to an Apple Store, he's taking a risk. Some Apple employees would likely let him buy AppleCare without a problem, and others wouldn't because of the scratches. I would just choose to do the sure thing and buy it over the phone. And, again, I am suggesting that he DOESN'T replace it for this incident, if they even allowed that.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're not supposed to do that, although shady Geniuses have allowed that in the past.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It would be unethical to try to get Apple to cover it when it's obviously your fault.

That being said, I'm not the ethical police.

19. koban4max macrumors 68000

just deal with it..not easy to live with it...but it's still functioning, right?

20. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You just gave yourself the reason as to how this is being dishonest. If you know that there's a high chance of you not getting the Applecare at the retail stores due to visible damage but you can hide behind the telephone and just let the Apple customer service do the signal test then it's being dishonest.

Also you're underplaying this. The OP said the scratches were deep.

21. Givmeabrek, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You can buy AppleCare. Since AppleCare doesn't cover cosmetic damage it shouldn't be an issue. Buying over the phone would be easiest as it would not have to be visually inspected. Simple.

But you won't be able to get a replacement unless it has a functional problem. Your choice.

I don't see anything dishonest about this at all.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, unless it fails the diagnostic test from detecting the drop, which it has been known to do.

23. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Buy square trade.

----------

Just drop it in a bowl of water. Problem solved. Replacement.

24. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LMAO, some of you guys are amazing. You're telling the OP to steer clear of the Apple because his product would be visibly inspected with a chance of not being approved for Applecare and then telling him to hide behind the phone and do it so nobody can see the scratches and you don't see this as being dishonest? Okay. ;)

I guess as long as it's the customer doing things like this not dishonest. If Apple were to pull the slightest wrong to the public nobody would back them up. Instead this forum would spread fire in their faces.

25. hotdeck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your input. I wasn't trying to cause a debate on ethics. I was trying to see if there are options I didn't know or I haven't thought of.