Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Scratches... Scratches everywhere!

The sides of my stainless steel Apple Watch have tons of scratches. But the glass/screen is flawless. If they'd use the same glass on a phone, it'd be amazing.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Then why do different schematics and units keep showing up all over?
If that is your entire basis for your belief, you're not trying very hard. To understand Apple, is to know why they wouldn't go from iPhone 7 to Touch ID on the back. They simply don't make dramatic changes like that. They'd scrap something else before doing that.

What they do do, is make small evolving steps. iPhone 7 was step 1, in turning the home button into solid glass+haptics. The new home button will be simply painted on a Touch Bar area, solid glass+haptics, same with Touch ID.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I don't see why people are complaining that it is the same shape as the 6-7 iPhones.

I certainly do not want square edges in a modern phone. And, really, what else can they do?

If the mockup render is 99% to that of the real thing, it's a winner.

A beautiful, curvy sheet of black glass is what it will look like (just like the space black SS Apple Watch.). I just hope the camera is flush, but probably won't be.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I honestly don' t understand all the complaints. About the dummy modell, i understand the complaints about that one, but the renders of the spaceblack one are really amazing! And those are still renders, wait until you see and feel the real one. My expectations are high.

I don't get the complaints either, but for a different reason. This phone basically has no design - you could not really reduce the design any more than this. It's a shiny black rectangle, and that's it. What could you possibly change?

I wonder if Apple will do a white version of this.
[doublepost=1493171588][/doublepost]
Sure they want touch-ID integrated with the glass. That will make it impossible for users to repair/rehab their own devices without violating end-user agreements.

Repairing stuff doesn't violate any agreement, but it may end you warranty.

Just like we can no longer replace our own storage/memory/batteries on Apple devices.

The reason the iPhone exists is because of this miniaturisation pattern called a "System on a Chip" (SoC). SoCs work by integrating as much of the computer components as possible in to a single package. Basically, the RAM is actually part of the A10 chip itself (which also includes the GPU, CPU and various controller chips). It definitely is not user-replaceable.

As for the Mac? My guess is that Apple want to remove the expectation of being able to replace the RAM so they might slowly move the Mac to also use a SoC design.

When it comes to batteries, Apple insist that by removing the connectors and flaps and using a "contoured" design which fills the internal space that they are able to craft significantly larger size batteries in to smaller spaces.

And after all of that, almost nobody swaps these components out. It would be nice to have - I'm sure even Apple would agree, but it's a niche feature that is not important to the vast majority of their customers.

They've done it because it's much safer for a qualified Apple tech to do it, and sealed batteries like, are more efficient, and totally, totally, worth the 200% or so markup.

They've done "it" because you might mess up or install a dangerous or hacked component. You can still do the repair yourself, of course, but don't expect Apple to pay to fix it. Once you fiddle with the internals, any problem could conceivably have been caused by you.

You're thinking too small, like these people who think that Apple really cares about making people buy adapters and cables.

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Just outta curiousity I'm interested in what makes the design "horrible" ? What would you prefer? I'm not sniping but honestly curious because I see some people posting things like "atrocious, awful, horrible, etc" and I just don't see it so I'm wondering what these folks prefer.

I want something that looks like it came from the future. This design looks like it came from 2008.

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
I hope the ease of unlocking will not suffer due to design changes.

My ID fingers like the placement and the deepness of the current homebutton.
Very good to find & unlock, very ergonomic, very omnidirectionally accessible.

On a flat screen, I cannot imagine a similar easy finding of the unlock area, unless the whole screen acts as such.

Or the frame. It does look huge. (Maybe it won't be a fingerprint ID any longer, more of a full Hand ID sensor...)

Or maybe they put the ID in the apple on the back and give it a slight dent or a contour - i could live with that.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO

The edges really look like LiquidMetal. Wow.

Pictures of a dummy "iPhone 8" model appeared on social media over the weekend depicting a handset with a front and rear made of what looks like 2.5D curved glass and a stainless steel edge design.

The dummy device is purportedly a "CNC model according to Foxconn", according to the original Twitter poster, but there's no way to verify the claim one way or the other, so take the following with a big pinch of salt.

Screen-Shot-3-2-800x1242.jpg

The front of the device appears to have an edge-to-edge screen with no discernible bezels, while around the back there's a vertically aligned dual-lens camera, but no other identifiable markings. That includes no rear-mounted Touch ID sensor, but also no Apple logo, either.

Screen-Shot-2-1-800x825.jpg

The sides look like stainless steel, similar to those of the iPhone 4. There are volume buttons and a mute switch on the left, and a power button and SIM tray on the right. The power button appears to be longer than on previous iPhones, however.

The poster of the images offered additional details supposedly from a source with links to Foxconn, suggesting that the "iPhone 8" will have a thickness and size similar to the current iPhone 7, while the steel edges will be finished in a polished "Space Black" color.

Apart from a further image showing off the latter feature, the poster has also shown off schematics "based on blueprints" that depict a series of components hidden beneath the top of the display, where the edges of the display are indicated by a red outline. An alleged schematic of the internal components of the next iPhone has also been shared.

C-FhHJxW0AE8oaQ-800x705.jpg

Apple is thought to be testing more than 10 prototype iPhone models, so it's not yet clear what we should expect. Most rumors so far suggest the upcoming OLED iPhone will have a 5.5-inch bezel-less screen with Touch ID embedded in the front display, so there will be no home button.

However Apple is said to be having trouble integrating the Touch ID technology into the screen, and leaked design schematics have indicated that the fingerprint sensor could be moved to the rear of the device, so the final design is far from certain.

Some rumors suggest the display itself may feature edges that are curved on both sides like the Galaxy S7, but the phone may have the same slightly curved 2.5D display as the iPhone 7 due to technical challenges manufacturing the more curved version. According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the glass will be built around a polished stainless steel frame that's similar in design to the Apple Watch.

More images of the dummy iPhone shown above, including one of a machined chassis, can be found here.

Article Link: Dummy 'iPhone 8' Images Appear Online Suggesting Touch ID Embedded in Edge-to-Edge Display

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I'm not a fan of the stainless steel edge - that thing is going to scratch like crazy...
The polished one that is.

Perhaps Apple has some bumpers left over from the "you're holding it wrong" era. So... perhaps we'll get another round of "antenna-gate".

I like the look of the stainless steel edges. But if they've replicated the antenna design, it'll be a rerun of old times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.