Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
This. I never post on macforums but I HAD to post this in case Apple creates this. This thing is FUGLY! (I will be keeping my 6S if this thing comes out)

PLEASE Apple go back to iPhone 4 / 5 / SE design (more square, less round and 'bubbly' like)!!!

Interesting you own a 6S and you wouldn't consider owning this design. My only gripe about this render is the rounded edges look too much like the 6/6s/7. I too would MUCH rather have this design with flat sides (like the SE).

Reactions: 02275629

ventricle

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2016
Oz
I also liked the design of the 4... who am I kidding: I liked them all.

Because if you liked the first one, and the rest are similar but for small variations, there’s little to dislike. I’m getting sick of articles bordering on form fetish though I understand those thinking of upgrading are all over them. Whether the battery is improved or the headphone jack is restored (and pigs will fly!) is what’s interesting.

Apple has so starved us of computers that a site called MacRumors is mostly about phones. And yet I visit for my dose of pain on the MacPro forums. I used to visit the Buyer’s Guide to watch the number of days climb too but now that the MacPro has gone green I’ve lost interest. I’ll think of the next phone when mine breaks.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
This design looks like it could be the one.

Seems to be that this design is getting more of the leak treatment.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
You can't really assume the Touch ID is in the display, when the back of the dummy has nothing on it, not even the Apple Logo.

Why not? A dummy device is the full chassis, including any fingerprint sensor. If it has the camera, it's likely to have a hole at least for the fingerprint sensor. Unless we're assuming it has no Touch ID at all, then I would say based on this particular dummy, that it's likely housed in the screen.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Sure they want touch-ID integrated with the glass. That will make it impossible for users to repair/rehab their own devices without violating end-user agreements.

Just like we can no longer replace our own storage/memory/batteries on Apple devices. They've done it because it's much safer for a qualified Apple tech to do it, and sealed batteries like, are more efficient, and totally, totally, worth the 200% or so markup.

giphy.gif

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Those edges will get so scratched up! I'd much prefer the unpolished steel of the iPhone 4/4s. Who wants scratches all the way around the edges of your phone from the polished stainless?

Reactions: tomi03

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Those edges will get so scratched up! I'd much prefer the unpolished steel of the iPhone 4/4s. Who wants scratches all the way around the edges of your phone from the polished stainless?

Doesnt really matter since 99% of users instantly put on a plastic or rubber case.

Reactions: firket2000

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
Will goin from the 7 to the 8 feel like goin go the 5 to 6? Praying it does cuz 6s and 7 where whatever

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Doesnt really matter since 99% of users instantly put on a plastic or rubber case.

I suppose you are right, but I certainly do not. I have never liked a phone with a case. I keep it in a sleeve pouch and pull it in/out when needed.

And the case will only make it get more scratched once they finally pull it out.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I wish they would just make the camera flush and unobtrusive. It would look so much better. Also, horizontal positioning would look a less weird to me, but that's not a huge deal. It would be cool if they hid the camera in the Apple logo.

Reactions: 02275629

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Why go back to old designs? I don't see companies going back to old designs on computers, TV's, washing machines. cars,airplanes and so on...!! Is it really hard to figure a new design that can be equally good or even better or we have reached to the end of creativity?

10th anniversary homage. Also, companies go back to replicate old design languages all the time. I can think of car companies specifically. They just add a modern touch to their classic design.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
I get that they're trying to pay homage to the original, but this looks horrible.

Just outta curiousity I'm interested in what makes the design "horrible" ? What would you prefer? I'm not sniping but honestly curious because I see some people posting things like "atrocious, awful, horrible, etc" and I just don't see it so I'm wondering what these folks prefer.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
It isn't speculation. Just wait until the Note 8 is revealed and it will all make sense. So, in August or September, feel free to call me out if I'm wrong.

They asked for proof and you haven't provided any so until you do it's just speculation.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
They asked for proof and you haven't provided any so until you do it's just speculation.

When the time is right, they will get their proof. In the meantime, be patient and enjoy the S8!

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
There is no Apple logo as it will be illuminated and shine from the back.

You read it here first :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.