iPhone X Dust/Speck Inside The iPhone X Camera Lens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donster28, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That's actually one of the reasons why the dust/fibers does not move, is because static under the camera lens cover. And because there's no airflow either.

2. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Hmm yet I don’t remember it being there when I got the phone. Maybe I missed it.

Maybe with moving around it will lodge. If not it’s whatever. Could always get a worse phone with other issues

3. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

This is the reason I returned my X. I did NOT have dust at purchase, because I had already seen this thread and I checked--with a magnifying glass--right there in front of everyone. On my 4th day of ownership I noticed what looked like a clump of very fine dust--the color of grass or even ash (cigar smoker). Whether it was in there and moved or accumulated in there, I didn't want to worry about it over time. 7+ has nada after a year. 8+ now after couple weeks has nothing either.

I also posted a thread with pics about the X accumulating 5 times more fine dust/lint in my pocket over my 7+. Not sure why, but static of the X screen just gathered more fine dust. Could be contributing if this fine dust could get into the camera housing.

4. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I have AppleCare. If it gets worse or affects pictures I’ll return 6 months in or whatever.

5. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

I bought AC on the X also. Still didn't want to worry about it or go through hassle later on. Too anal I guess. Was fine with and maybe preferred the plus size phones, so can't say the dust was 100% of my decision. I will consider the larger X Plus or whatever when offered. I'm guilty of OCD influenced by negativity bias accumulated on online forums..... ;-)

6. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Wait what does not having a plus size have to do with dust.

7. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

Nothing necessarily. I had dust inside the X camera housing. I also tested in the pocket the X vs my 7+ and the X accumulated much more fine dust after 10 mins in the pocket after starting with a clean phone. I think the X attracted more dust for me. Went from no dust showing to a good size speck/accumulation inside the camera housing.

8. chadmclark, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

chadmclark macrumors newbie

chadmclark

The iPhone lottery is a slippery slope. Be thankful, the first unit I had, the back glass creaked all over when lightly pressed on.

I’ve seen misaligned buttons, SIM trays that don’t sit flush, mushy buttons, scratches, etc.

All 3 units I’ve had now, have at very least a few tiny dust particles right out of the box (I had to use a jewelers loop to see them however)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---

9. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

Man I don't know about a speck all I can see is that ugly case! :eek::D

10. chadmclark macrumors newbie

chadmclark

Ok, show of hands ... so with so many potential / real problems anybody just still lovin the new device, OCD aside lol? I am!

I contemplated, for a brief moment, of switching back to the 8, but I just can’t; love the new screen way way too much!!

11. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Mine I can see in certain light. Wish I never knew it was ther tbh.

12. googlyboo macrumors newbie

Speaking of dust appearing in camera lens even after few days of use (just like mine — it wasn’t there before, it moved literally in front of my eyes), and speaking of the X’s screen easily attracts dust, do you guys also see dust in the screen itself when you shine on it with a bright LED light? Mine has it. Just wondering if you guys also do have it and it being ‘common’ on the X..

I bought mine from a 3rd party. And mine is on iOS 11.2.1. Boot looping and the 3rd party shop can’t fix it and intend to send it to their supplier than Apple just to fix that and it would take up to 3 months. So I’m thinking I might as well get them to sort out on the dust in screen and camera lens too.

So yeah, do you guys have dust too in the screen and any boot loop even after updating to iOS 11.2.1?

13. chadmclark macrumors newbie

chadmclark

It’ll take your mind off it if you look for the myriad of other issues out there, like the clicking back or mushy buttons
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---
    Oh gawd! I looked with a bright light, clean, hopefully forever. The digitizer and display are fused, so nothing should ever ever enter there - that sounds like a genuine manufacturing defect if so :(

14. Apple_prince31 macrumors newbie

I thought of switching to the iP8 plus, but I am too in love with my iPhone X now. The tiny dust specks inside the camera lens sometimes triggers my OCD, but the screen, buttons, and almost everything works perfectly, so I guess I’ll stick with my X.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2017 ---
    The speck is on the sensor of my camera, but I did every tests that I could, and thank God the quality of the photos are great. I don’t think the specks inside the camera lens affect the photos.
    758F11D5-1113-445D-BCC4-0EFEA05CE9DD.jpeg

15. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Yea I compared to my friends with no spec and pics look exactly the same.

16. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I was able to take a better picture while the sun was hitting it. I feel it looks worse in picture than in person. I don’t see any impact to pictures at all.

Like someone said the camera probably always has some dust in front of it when you are taking pictures and you don’t notice.

Attached Files:

17. mrgeekguymd macrumors member

Once again, stop wasting your time about it. If you have small specs of dust, it's okay. It won't affect photos and a lot of the phones have it. If you have hair-like object under there, I would consider replacement just because it doesn't look very attractive; however, it will most likely not affect the photos either.

I've gone through three; I've seen four total and all had some sort of foreign object under the lens.

18. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

The speck of dust would irk the hell out of me. That smudge probably affects your images more than the dust.

19. michael31986 macrumors 68040

The smudge was from me wiping with my finger. It isn’t there permanently.

Do people really wipe their camera every time they use it. I doubt the back is always completely clean

20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I doubt it. Because when somebody is about to take a photo, the last thing they are thinking about is wiping off the camera lens cover, unless something was obstructing it. They're thinking about the moment of the photo they're about to take.

21. Didcupcakes macrumors newbie

D3177763-6BA9-4849-87D0-0D4D88339C8B.jpeg I have a hair inside my lens too...

I can move the hair but it takes me long time... and sometimes you see a point on the picture

D29A17A9-BA98-447A-923A-E776AF485D2B.jpeg

I have a appointment on Tuesday at the Genius Bar. I hope they will change it. My iPhone X is 1 month old and at the beginning, they gave no dust or hair...

22. michael31986 macrumors 68040

How do you move the hair?

23. Didcupcakes macrumors newbie

I use my t-shirt or microfibre and I rub the camera hard enough and I can move it (no idea why it works ... but I but I managed to hide it some time before he reappeared)

Sorry for my bad English !

24. gahig ulo macrumors 6502

gahig ulo