Dvorak on iPhone: Send Apple Feedback

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThomasJL, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

We need many people to click the link below, and tell Apple to include the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard on the iPhone:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Please help. The more people that do this, the better our chances of this coming to fruition.

Thank you for your time.

2. meagain macrumors 68030

Why on earth would I want that? The last thing I need to do right now is learn how to type all over again. What gain is there in using this?

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I think the poster wants QWERTY people to vote for it so it gets included. He uses it I presume.

I can't be bothered with it and if it's not included I don't care, so I won't be asking for it.

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, I can't see the point to this either. The iPhone keyboard is perfect the way it is.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why on earth would you have to learn how to type over again?

The iPhone currently has TONS of different keyboard arrangements (for international). Did the inclusion of any of those keyboards force you to learn how to type over again?

There's no reason why Apple couldn't include an optional DVORAK keyboard so that people who are proficient in DVORAK can type well on an iPhone.

Gesh.

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

Jeez, some people are so spoiled and self-centered.

7. FFpm71 macrumors newbie

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's a keyboard where letters are laid out using these notions:

* Letters should be typed by alternating between hands.
    * For maximum speed and efficiency, the most common letters and digraphs should be the easiest to type. This means that they should be on the home row, which is where the fingers rest, and under the strongest fingers.
    * The least common letters should be on the bottom row, which is the hardest row to reach.
    * The right hand should do more of the typing, because most people are right-handed.
    * Digraphs should not be typed with adjacent fingers.
    * Stroking should generally move from the edges of the board to the middle. An observation of this principle is that, for many people, when tapping fingers on a table, it is easier going from little finger to index than vice versa. This motion on a keyboard is called inboard stroke flow.[3]

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Wasn't it designed to make typing with 10 fingers on keyboards more efficient?

So my question is, what on earth does typing with 2 hands have to do with typing with 2 thumbs?

I don't care if Apple puts it on, but I don't see the point either, unless you have really really tiny hands and actually use all 10 fingers on the iPhone.

10. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Excellent point...

If Apple wastes their time with a keyboard like this (which as pointed out by SWC has no benefit for thumb typing) for the <1% of people who use it, I'd be seriously disappointed in their priorities.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Much like international layouts, part of the charm of a soft-keyboard is the fluid nature of it.

Not sure if it makes much sense, but I wouldn't care if Apple threw in some wacky keyboard layouts like Dvorak in there.

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    But how would you feel if you bought some european phone which ONLY had the dvorak keyboard on it?

I think the point he is making is that the dvorak is the keyboard that he knows, so of course he wants to use it. It doesn't matter if it doesn't have any specific benefit to the iphone (although alternating hands (fingers) would be useful on the iphone.)

Plus it really can't be that hard to make can it? all you need to do is rearrange the buttons. could be done in a day. (from a non-developer standponit)

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm not a DVORAK user, and I'm not here to promote it as being more efficient.

Having said that, I FLY on QWERTY keyboards, and I get rather irritated when I have to use a keyboard where the input is in "ABCDEFGHIJK" order instead of QWERTY. Slows me down big time. Instead of muscle memory (my fingers just flying out and hitting the key without me having to think about the location), I have to actually look for the stupid letter I want to type.

I'd assume that DVORAK users are in the same boat when they use a QWERTY keyboard, and since the iPhone already supports custom keyboards (for international use), I don't think it's asking too much to consider that someone at Apple might spend the 10 minutes to arrange a keyboard in the format of DVORAK keyboard, or throw in an API that allows for developers to design custom keyboards.

Again, gesh, what's the big deal? Do you think that Golden Corral should never put a new item on the buffet if you aren't planning on eating it yourself? :D

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I get self centered, but what the hell does spoiled have to do anything with that?

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Like I said, I really don't care if someone wants to use it, I'm just a bit confused why that need would arise.

Didn't we ALL have to re-learn to type on the touch screen? Why would someone train themselves on an alternate system when I can't imagine there'd be any difference in speed since we're talking about 2-thumb typing.

Anyway, sure. Put it in, Apple.

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

Oh sorry, didn't think I called you spoiled. :confused:

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

We all had to learn to type with less fingers, but we didn't have to learn a new keyboard layout (at least with the alphabet). The letter C was still on the bottom row, between X and V, just like your computer keyboard, no?

I don't think anyone is going to learn DVORAK to be a faster iPhone typist.

However, for people that use DVORAK keyboards on their computers on a regular basis, they're used to letters being in a certain order. So when they sit down and type on an iPhone keyboard, and the letters are in a totally different order (QWERTY), and there's no option to put them in the order that they're used to, I'd imagine that the iPhone has got to suck to type on.

Not only do you have to deal with the touch screen, you have to stop and look for the location of each letter before you hit it.

I guess if you wanted an example of this, turn on the German keyboard on your iPhone. Only two letters switch locations (Y and Z), but I'm sure it's enough to slow you down when you really start thumbing. Then imagine a keyboard where every letter wasn't where it was on your regular keyboard. :eek:

18. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

There's a huge difference between providing an international keyboard and providing a keyboard for <1% of the potential users.

Does it hurt? Not really, I guess it depends on how many man hours are put into it.

I don't expect to see a Dvorak keyboard until Apple builds an alphabetical keyboard and until the Apple store sells Dvorak keyboards. Perhaps a developer could design the keyboard and a simple copy button. Type your text and paste it where you need it.

I still say it's a waste or resources, however little time is required.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmmm. I don't think the Apple store has ever sold a DVORAK keyboard, but OS X has supported DVORAK since the Mac OS 9.x days.

Realistically, if Apple is just now adding copy 'n paste to the iPhone, I wouldn't expect to see DVORAK support anytime soon. I just didn't understand the opposition to adding it. :eek:

20. rfoap macrumors member

rfoap

Done and done ... I've been wanting this forever. I use it on all my other machines, so why not my iPhone too? And as already mentioned, we want it because it's what we're used to. You're accustomed to QWERTY ... imagine if the iPhone didn't come with the QWERTY layout ... you'd wish they'd add that, right?

21. caitlin macrumors member

caitlin

It's simply another "Language". It's not like the ability for a Dvorak keyboard will bother you. You won't even know unless you go into your settings and enable it in the International section.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You didnt say anything to me personally.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

But how wold that work? I mean, for each language you have your keyboard... If you selected the dvorak what language would your phone be in?

24. vipergts2207 macrumors 6502a

vipergts2207

It's an english layout, sooo, English?

25. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct. That is exactly what I meant. Thanks aristobrat! :)

It should have been obvious that the OP stated to want Dvorak as an option. Dvorak has been an option on Apple computers since the Apple II. Mac OS, Windows, and Linux all include Dvorak as an option.