Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DxOMark today published the results of its in-depth analysis of the iPhone XR's single-lens rear camera. Apple's flagship smartphone achieved an overall score of 101 points, surpassing Google's Pixel 2 to make it the top-ranked single lens phone in the site's rankings.

iphone-xr-dxomark.jpg

In its testing, DxOMark found the iPhone XR to offer "a very similar proposition for image quality as the flagship iPhone XS Max," across key photo attributes like exposure, color, detail, noise, and artifacts.

Both devices also achieved the same overall score for video, but the dual lenses of the iPhone XS Max meant the XR fell behind on zoom and bokeh shots, although DxOMark noted that Apple had managed to improve the flash on the more affordable single-lens iPhone.

ColoredPannels_AppleiPhoneXr_DxOMark_05-00-1.jpg
Colored panels shot on iPhone XR

The review adds that the iPhone XR has very good exposure and dynamic range in bright light and indoor conditions, while detail is well-preserved in all lighting conditions with "vivid and pleasant colors in most situations."

Amadeus_AppleiPhoneXr_DxOMark_05-00.jpg
Apple iPhone XR, HDR test scene

The few cons the review noted included the visibility of fine grain luminance noise in indoor and low-light conditions, while video was criticized for instabilities in white balance when filming indoors.

Amadeus_AppleiPhoneXS_DxOMark_05-00.jpg
Apple iPhone XS Max, HDR test scene for comparison

DxOMark concludes that the photographic capabilities of the iPhone XR are "broadly similar to those of the XS/XS Max" which should make the less-expensive model "desirable to many Apple enthusiasts looking to upgrade their smartphone."
"Compared to the Google Pixel 2, which is the best single-cam smartphone we'd tested up until now, the results are very comparable in many areas, but thanks to improved results for noise and particularly for artifacts, the iPhone XR just nudges it out of first place to become our top-ranked single-cam smartphone."
iphone-xr-dxomark-scores.jpg

For its scoring and analysis methodology, DxOMark says its engineers capture and evaluate over 1,500 test images and more than two hours of video both in controlled lab environments and in natural indoor and outdoor scenes, using the camera's default settings.

DxO is a well-known French image lab that has been reviewing smartphone cameras for several years, but they aren't immune to criticism, which just goes to show how subjective image quality can sometimes be.

Article Link: DxOMark: iPhone XR is 'Best Single-Cam Smartphone We've Tested'

Reactions: Ravi_MR and apolloa

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Well since it uses the same camera as the Xs's it should get a similar score. Probably only top dog for single camera till the Pixel 3's are tested though (funny they haven't been already...maybe Google was holding them back waiting for their night mode to be released into production before doing it).

We going to pretend DxOMark is relevant now that it favours an iPhone?

Why? What do you think of DxOMark?

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

I had to smile to myself when I read your comment as it was exactly my thought.
Over the past few years when the iPhone was beaten by this companies score, we saw the majority of posters rubbishing this company and it's tests/results.

I was/am keep to see if this opinion here now changes that Apple have got to the top in the category again ;)

I would love to believe people stick to their guns, and don't flip/flop their opinion simply based upon current results.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
The test review of the P20 Pro is paid by Huawei.!
Huawei video 98 score
iPhone Xs Video 96 score
Huuh!!!

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Some people take ratings like this into account when comparing one iPhone to another. For example, it's interesting that this year's Xr outscored last year's iPhone X.
I guess you didn't read the remaining articles about non-iPhones?
What I am getting at is in all of the other articles mentioning competitors phones, there are a never ending amount of comments saying that it is subjective, that it doesn't matter, that it is bias or whatever. Even above this comment saying that Huawei's score was paid for, that somehow it wasn't independent. People literally can't get their heads round another company producing something far better than Apple can.

I actually value what DxOMark do a lot, they produce the same tests across multiple devices for a proper like for like test. Photography is very subjective though. Look at this video from MKBHD that shoes the iPhones being beaten by a blackberry and Pocophone I think it was:

I own an 8 Plus. I admire the pics my boss' P20 Pro takes. The night modes in the latest handsets is amazing for what it is. The XR does take amazing photos, and better portrait pics in some instances than the X/XS. It is a great phone, but don't try and tell me that the very same people that were belittling the Samsung and P20 Pro results won't be the same people that tell their friends about how the XR "is the best single camera smartphone" on the market. What is telling is they haven't reviewed the Pixel 3 yet. They are basing the latest and greatest from Apple with a 1 year old device. We will see what happens when they get round to the Pixel 3.

Reactions: groadyho

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast

There really need to be a betting site for comment predictions. Knew your comment would be one of the first. See it every time.

Edit: Seems to me that phone cameras have all gotten good enough that reviews will just be nitpicking minor stuff. I can't imagine the reviews will affect anyone's buying decision. Camera reviews beyond this level of quality only make sense for actual stand alone cameras.

Last edited:

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Well since it uses the same camera as the Xs's it should get a similar score. Probably only top dog for single camera till the Pixel 3's are tested though (funny they haven't been already...maybe Google was holding them back waiting for their night mode to be released into production before doing it).

So Google knew the IPhone is better like the last article by a photography sitet hat compared the iPhone to the Pixel 3 stating the main plus was the impressive but gimmicky night mode that would rarely be used. Most tech sites that have a love feast with Google because they like free stuff and Google, Samsung and others are willing to provide benefits for good reviews.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Boy, DXOMark became like the smartphone measuring stick for cameras real fast.

If you look around their site, you'll see that they've been doing this kind of thing for a long time. They've long done extensive testing of sensors on DSLR and ILC cameras as well as lenses... well they USED to test lenses. In more recent years they started a mobile sensors category.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Trap for those XS / XS Max fence sitters not willing to spend yet contemplating XR, without dual cameras. Great minds game by Apple.

Reactions: scrapesleon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.