Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

041525-1_500.jpg

iPhone cases have always been a very popular accessory amongst readers, but has gained even more attention with the iPhone 4 as it can help alleviate some of signal issues you might encounter.

Our iPhone accessories forum has been active with photos and user reviews of the current options. iLounge, however, has taken a more formal approach to reviewing the early iPhone 4 cases and has posted some first impressions. Unfortunately, early case designs can have problems as Apple does not share upcoming product device dimensions with accessory manufacturers before the official announcement. As a result, most of the early in-store case designs were based on the rumored iPhone 4 specs. According to iLounge, this shows:
Developers really rushed out the first handful of cases in order to get early options into AT&T and Best Buy stores, and in some cases are going back and fixing problems they discovered only after the iPhone 4 became available. Issues with the iPhone 4 flash have been most widely discussed, particularly in cases from iFrogz that have mysteriously not arrived here for testing, but also in other cases with backs that weren’t cut to allow the flash enough room to fire.
Incipio was singled out as one of the manufacturers with good early cases, while iLounge felt that Apple's bumper cases weren't worth recommending at all. They point out a common issue with the bumper cases that only work with the newer slimmer connection cables that Apple has been recently shipping.

Now that accessory manufacturers have the iPhone 4 in hand, we should expect to see improved cases over time. We also hope to see some more creative accessories and add ons in time.

043044-tfYg13xDgc2OftpJ.medium_500.jpg

iFixit's teardown revealed that the iPhone 4's glass back slides right off after only removing the two bottom screws. Such a trivial replacement procedure could open the door to 3rd party replacements for the iPhone 4's back.

Article Link: Early iPhone 4 Cases Show Mixed Quality

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
iFixit's teardown revealed that the iPhone 4's glass back slides right off after only removing the two bottom screws. Such a trivial replacement procedure could open the door to 3rd party replacements for the iPhone 4's back.

That's awesome.

A white back with a black front and a black bumper would the perfect combo, way better than any case.

I hate that the bumper doesn't cover up the back of the phone and leaves the back exposed to scratches, cracking and other damage. That is the only reason I wanted to get a case.

Also, the white iPhone looks hideous from the front, but absolutely gorgeous from behind, especially when it has a black bumper on it.

whiteiphone4hero306272010.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/white-iphone-4-early-diy-edition-with-a-touch-of-black/

So I plan to use that same iPhone 4 OEM parts source engadget used to get the white backplate (or a quality third party maker). And if the back ever gets cracked (or I need to return it to Apple for support), I can always put back the original black backplate on.

Does apple have any way to find out? As long as I save the original back and swap it back for any warranty help, how could they?

I think it's by FAR the best option. Atleast until someone makes this...

I'm far more interested in cases that enhance the iPhone's design and maybe one that can add another, more luxurious dimension to it. I'm not a fan of all these 'overly durable' skater boy/surfer type cases that take something away from the actual phone. I doubt any of these people have nice watches, they'd be too afraid it would break or scratch. :|

How about a single slab of swarovski crystal or etched czech glass for the discerning lady...or even a 24ct gold bullion rectangle for the wealthy-but-dim among us :) It's all good...shame I don't have the means to produce any of it :(

mc_crw_4430.jpg

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
Scored A Blue Silicon Case 4th Weekend For $2.73 Delivered

Scored A Blue Silicon Case 4th Weekend For $2.73 Delivered. The photo looks good and the Royal Blue looks like it'll really show off my WHITE 32s brighter side perfectly. :D

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I got the Case-Mate one that looks like a tire. We'll see when it gets here. I'll just use it to tide me over until Switcheasy releases cases.

I'd also love to try replacing the back of my phone with a piece of mahogany that has a mother-of-pearl inlay.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Just a note: iPhone 4 has been in my pocket (alone) since day one, and I have 0 scratches. I'm still interested in a bumper for those accidental drops, but as far as scratching goes, no problems there.

Anyone who has scratched theirs has really mistreated the phone, as this certainly does not scratch easily.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
My Bumper came today. I had to do some work with the X-Acto knife around the headphone jack so i could use some damn headphones in the thing. Works ok now. It's enough protection for me and feels great in the hand but I'm sure better alternatives will be around soon.

And I'll add that the Bumper really does get rid of the signal issue. When I held the phone naked, I would lose 2 bars to No Service. Now I can't make it lose any signal no matter how I hold it. Very happy about that as coverage in my area isn't very good to begin with.

vile

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
Just a note: iPhone 4 has been in my pocket (alone) since day one, and I have 0 scratches. I'm still interested in a bumper for those accidental drops, but as far as scratching goes, no problems there.

Anyone who has scratched theirs has really mistreated the phone, as this certainly does not scratch easily.

+1

same for me not a single scratch and I carry it around all the time (no case just bumper)

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
I bought a GEAR4 case with my iphone 4 as it was the only case the O2 store had....

Its ok.... but definitely needs refining.

I think the hole for the flash on all the iphone 4 cases needs to be big enough to allow the flash to shine, yes the hole is big enough to see the flash but i get reflection off the rim of the case when taking pictures with my iphone in the case... basically leaving a huge white/yellowish circle on the left of all my pics taken with a flash....

I have been shopping around to see other case but they all seem to be in short supply!!!

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Scratches?

I have to agree with the prior posters re. scratching. Glass is not easy to scratch. Do you worry about scratching a glass coffee table when you plonk your keys down on it?

This is why I'm using a bumper case with an open back. The rubber edges make it harder to drop the phone and the open back means less bulk. The steel band is more likely to pick up scratches than the glass panels anyway.

The only thing I don't like about the bumper is that the buttons rattle a little bit when you shake it. Makes it feel a bit cheap compared to the solid build of the phone itself. Also, it is a shame to cover that steel band. Naked, the phone looks amazing. Now, a clear rubber bumper, that would be awesome. I don't know what the technical barriers to such a bumper are - can you make rubber clear enough?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If removing two screws means the back slides off.

Then why not just make the battery user replaceable?

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I don't get it. Why hide a beautiful design with an ugly cover? Why is it important to prevent scratches if you won't be able to see the phone anyway?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
My temporary case does a good job protecting the iPhone but it vignettes the camera. It was the best one I could find at BestBuy a few days after launch. AT&T didn't have one single case in stock at the time. I'm waiting for a good holster case to fit on my belt.

PaperMacWriter

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2009
Is there any case that has a loop for a wrist strap? My main concern is using it as a camera on vacations, and holding it in places where it may fall great distances - I use my pocket camera with a strap and it's saved it many times. Is/will/have there been iPhone cases with wrist straps?

StellarZ

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
AZ
The Vapor by Element

Is anyone considering The Vapor by Element? It's the only one I'm liking so far here are some pics.

Vapor_Black.jpg

Vapor_Red.jpg

Vapor_Green.jpg

untitled.834.jpg

Vapor_Pink.jpg

So I typically wouldn't have posted the pink one, but it's the only one that shows the carbon fiber backplate :)

It's a little pricy at $79.95, but it's frakin sexy!

They are taking pre-orders here if anyone is interested. It will be available July 12.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Is anyone considering The Vapor by Element? It's the only one I'm liking so far here are some pics.
So I typically wouldn't have posted the pink one, but it's the only one that shows the carbon fiber backplate :)

It's a little pricy at $79.95, but it's frakin sexy!

They are taking pre-orders here if anyone is interested. It will be available July 12.

Could you have please made them bigger? Also more pics would've been nice.

steerpikegg

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
This really bugs me why people bother with cases.

Apple spend millions developing a beautiful looking, slimline iPhone with scratch resistant glass, and the first thing people do is slap it in a bulky, ugly case effectively doubling the thickness and weight and hiding the design Apple spent so much R&D on.

People always bang on about how Apple products are beautiful etc, and then hide them away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.