Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Sounds like Walt Mossberg has a faulty iPhone... Talking about the poor reception, when everybody else is boasting about it's great reception.

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
I envy those who are able to and did upgrade to the 4G. I've had my 3GS for 6 months and love it even more than before with iOS4, but damn the 4G is an awesome phone.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I envy those who are able to and did upgrade to the 4G. I've had my 3GS for 6 months and love it even more than before with iOS4, but damn the 4G is an awesome phone.

Lack of funds saved my butt, I had the first iPhone then passed on the 3G at first (no 3G in my town at the time) Finally when the 3GS came out, passed on that one since it wasn't that great of an update and just got the basic 3G for $49 refurb/special so now I qualify for the iPhone 4 and it will be here tomorrow! So ultimately glad I waited and using many 3GS's don't feel I missed too much...

Just updated my 3G to 4.0 and jailbroke to add multitasking & backgrounds and it runs pretty darn well! So very interested to see the iPhone 4 speed tomorrow...

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
The worst feature of iPhone 4

is that mine is in a different state in the belly of a plane which makes it impossible to make calls. AT&T and Apple need to immediately solve the 'my new iPhone is in another state in the belly of a plane' problem. A simple patch ought to do it. iOS 4.001me

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Looking forward to Gizmodo's review...
...wait, they did what?!

Every review community needs a clown, a court jester, dilettante or whatever else you want to call who gets away with the outrageous and injects that occasional hard nail of truth that others can't get away seeing. This could be Gizmodo's role. But remember, even the court jester does spend some time in the stocks for being an ass.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
It's not a smartphone if you get zero AT&T signal at home. This isn't the middle of nowhere, this is Pasadena. T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint - all full bars.

AT&T.

Nothing.

So sorry Apple - because you won't role it out with other providers - it's not even on my short list of possible smart phones.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I love reading the angry comments from Android users on all ove these reviews. Is it me or did Windows users buy Android handsets suddenly?!

Android is a viable platform. I am not sure it is any more complex to use than the iphone.
I SSH into my phone routinely and yes it is jailbroken. I set up my old ipone for my wife. the vanilla phone is horribly limited, if you as me.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Is this "competition" with Google actual competition or merely Google throwing free phones at enough people to prop up numbers? I know 4 or 5 people with iPhones, probably the same with a BlackBerry, but I have never seen someone with an Android-based phone.

I haven't tested any Android phones myself, but nobody has any chance of a top unit unless it's half as simple as the iOS. The cheapo phones are getting squeezed out probably because most of them made doing anything a pain. I remember first trying an iPhone and being amazed at how simple EVERYTHING was. Part of the ease is being able to customize buttons on a touch screen instead of just using symbols on physical keys. It's hard to not know how to end a call on an iPhone with "End" on a big red button. Same goes with more advanced features like teleconferencing and taking pictures.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
i have a feeling people who ordered black ones are gonna be disappointed.

yup, i agree.

i'll be so, so disappointed as i get my phone tomorrow... as i use it all day to do cool things.

i will be on the verge of a nervous breakdown as i shoot and edit 720p video on my new iphone. oh, the humanity.

i will probably cry myself to sleep tomorrow night... in the glow of my black iphone4 screen.

you're right... i am already disappointed. sigh.

:p

Horus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Oh surprise...

That means that my EVO isn't Hawt anymore... wait, The EVO has never been Hawt. Another Subpar Android iPhone-Killer wannabe goes to the trash bin.

WalterNeff

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
The white courtesy phone . .

Why would anyone want a white one? - looks like a heart monitor, or they're the same people who think white limos are cool (they aren't).

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Its amazing how so many Fandroids are willing, with ZERO hands on time with the new iPhone, are ready to completely reject the reviews of so many credible critics.

Because certainly a critic can only be unbiased when he is praising Android right?

I can't believe the comments section of Engadget. The Fandroids are immediately accusing them of being Apple fanboys but if they agreed that the Evo was better they would be geniuses.

It is apparently an awesome phone based on the reviews. The best on the market today. It may not hold that title tomorrow but today it is king.

I still think the Evo is a great phone (except for the terrible battery life). For me to like the iPhone doesn't mean I have to hate every other phone on the market.

The iPhone is a complete experience and is NOT the sum of its parts.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Also why does it matter that the iPhone is bringing features that Android already has? I don't care about last week, I care about NOW... The iPhone looks to be the best on the market and what features it lacked last year mean NOTHING to me now, and why should it?

Horus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Its amazing how so many Fandroids are willing, with ZERO hands on time with the new iPhone, are ready to completely reject the reviews of so many credible critics.

Because certainly a critic can only be unbiased when he is praising Android right?

I can't believe the comments section of Engadget. The Fandroids are immediately accusing them of being Apple fanboys but if they agreed that the Evo was better they would be geniuses.

It is apparently an awesome phone based on the reviews. The best on the market today. It may not hold that title tomorrow but today it is king.

I still think the Evo is a great phone (except for the terrible battery life). For me to like the iPhone doesn't mean I have to hate every other phone on the market.

The iPhone is a complete experience and is NOT the sum of its parts.

Yes, The iPhone is already a brand, an idea, a recognizable item. In the other hand, Android Handsets are just disposable smartphones, maybe they are good. While the iPhone is, well, the iPhone.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Yes, The iPhone is already a brand, an idea, a recognizable item. In the other hand, Android Handsets are just disposable smartphones, maybe they are good. While the iPhone is, well, the iPhone.

They are GOOD smartphones but there are so many of them and they all have different specs, screen sizes and features that it must be hard for developers to make Android apps without making different apps for every phone and not including some features because some phones may not be able to support them.

I like the idea that my phone IS the iPhone. There aren't 15 different people cranking them out. You know what you're getting with an iPhone. I also like that they don't include features until they are ready for prime time.

I am not saying Android isn't good. Because I am sure it is, if it wasn't then they wouldn't be in the position they're in with so many people so passionately defending it... I am sure I would love it too, problem is the iPhone has its hooks in me and I am completely disinterested in using a different phone.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Hey Android Fans!!!! Where are you? Did you read the reviews? It looks like every single one of them has come to the conclusion that the iPhone 4 is the king of smartphones. I know, I know. What nonsense right? I mean, what do professional cell phone reviewers know about cell phones right? .....Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.