Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I don't know... good watches aren't cheap, the last watch I bought cost $1.5k and doesn't do anything special and Rolex's start at $4k. With Burberry watches starting at like $400 how much do you think Apple will sell an iWatch for? I'm sure they are going to go for a stellar design for it plus the hardware/software? I'm thinking it's going to cost way more than you all think since it won't be subsidized, and the forums will be full of people complaining about it. I still can't believe the complaints about the Mac Pro price.

I seriously doubt the iwatch is going to look as good as those other watches you mentioned. There is a reason no one has put a smart watch out yet that has taken over, no one wants them and they all look like sci-fi crap. I've been saying it since these rumors started, this is going to flop. Not everything needs to be "smart" sometimes old school is just the best and doesn't need to be "improved". I still haven't seen any valid use cases for a smart watch yet. This thing will go the way of the Pippen.

The fact that it has taken them so long to do this should be a good indicator to the Apple execs that maybe they shouldn't be wasting more money on this because its going to flop. Sure it'll get MASSIVE press and they will initially sell a ton, but then the sales will drop as people realize how stupid it is and then they'll either say they were ahead of their time and people aren't ready for it or they will actually admit it was a mistake.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Same story ever time....

Why does Apple supposedly always have production issues. After 30 years of supply experience you would think they could handle it.

Then again, if they can launch a product with "heavy constraints" then they can build the hype.

Do you really think Apple is the only company with supply chain issues?
Seriously?
They're just the only ones who can generate clicks by putting them into a headline.
Even if true, who can you name who you'd rather have at the helm to deal with such issues other than Tim Cook?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Same story ever time....

Why does Apple supposedly always have production issues. After 30 years of supply experience you would think they could handle it.

Then again, if they can launch a product with "heavy constraints" then they can build the hype.

Production issues are obviously not unique to Apple. It's just that those issues get reported whereas people couldn't care less about any other manufacturers' products and don't get reported.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I really hope the target for this product will not be only for people 7-20 years old.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I don't think you have much to worry about. That age group doesn't have a lot of disposable income.

Apple's primary target audience is the lucrative 25-49 age bracket although they welcome customers from all age groups.

As long as Apple continues to improve shareholder value by maintaining fat margins on premium products, they won't focus on the starving student market segment.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
An iWatch needs a better reason to exist than simply replicating existing smart phone functionality. It also needs to be far less obtrusive and dorky looking.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
I will freely admit I bought the Pebble to just be one of the first ones to have it. I too thought it was a gimmick but had an extra $150 so I went for it.

Since buying it, it has become something I truly miss the days I leave it at home. Meetings, trainings, sitting in court etc, I use it to see calls and notifications that may require immediate attention. I do agree it's not for everyone but it has definitely become a must have for me.

I can only imagine the upgrades an Apple watch would have for working with the iPhone.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
Regardless of who makes a "smart watch"…the concept is flawed out of the gate. DOA.

....unless Apple makes of it course, then it's awesome!! /s

:p

But seriously, it's an interesting concept and hopefully Apple makes it something worth having instead of a gimmick.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Looking forward to seeing everyone doubting yet another flagship Apple product to be embarrassingly wrong.

I say this every time-- the people who develop these products at Apple are far more skeptical than you about what makes a good product. They've been questioning non-stop for years about what makes a watch genuinely useful to people again, while a smartphone is already right in their pockets. They know.

Trust me, it'll make previous smartwatch efforts look quite sad, and despite your harshest skepticism, if you've ever wanted an Apple product, you will eventually want one.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I don't think you have much to worry about. That age group doesn't have a lot of disposable income.

Apple's primary target audience is the lucrative 25-49 age bracket although they welcome customers from all age groups.

As long as Apple continues to improve shareholder value by maintaining fat margins on premium products, they won't focus on the starving student market segment.

Yes dont forget that people from a certain age like the classic luxury watch design(like me). So it should be fashion and yet classic design

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Pretty sure your advise for Apple is what they've almost always done.

They weren't the first MP3 player. They took their time to make it better. They weren't the first smartphone on the market. Again they took their time. They weren't the first tablet on the market....

Yep, that is apples MO. as the most profitable tech firm in the history of the planet, they don't need advice from MR users.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Do you really think Apple is the only company with supply chain issues?Seriously?They're just the only ones who can generate clicks by putting them into a headline.

Even if true, who can you name who you'd rather have at the helm to deal with such issues other than Tim Cook?

I bought into the Tim Cook thing until the iPhone 5 production debacle.

From all reports, it wasn't found out until too late, that the design was extra difficult to manufacture without causing blemishes, and slow to produce.

In other words, nobody had run a speed and quality check ahead of time. Worse, once production started, nobody seemed to give a damn about quality control, as lots of units shipped with visible defects.

Rumors were that five to eight million of the first units had to be returned to Foxconn to be reworked.

Normal people can get fired for a lack of oversight like that.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Same story ever time....

Because Apple still build their products out of the same technology and grey plastic as in the 90's you mean?

tw.morgan

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Most mockups look awful...

But these ones actually look quite smart!

I own a Tag Heuer watch but I still would be convinced by something like this:

iwatchmartinhajek.jpg

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
I really hope this item flops before going to market. I don't see this being adopted well and would like for Apple to dodge a bullet.

Only room for an Omega and a fitbit on my wrists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.