Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
bahhhhhhhhhh

TNT have screwed me over! Apple says "shipment delayed" and their page says "Please call" - so I did, and they're looking into whether it's left the depot yet... sweet. :rolleyes:

CommodityFetish

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Wiki it!

This are things that magically have disapeared from previous builds or product specs in Apple's website.

So far:

- Support for Airport Drives in Time Machine
- Answering Machine from iChat
- Fast OS switching
- R2D2 effect from iChat
- Notes sync option with iPhone

anything else?

Someone should track these in the MacRumors Guides/Wiki - features promised/rumored but not delivered, and see if they show up in later upgrades.

Seems like there were some from Tiger that still haven't arrived:

metadata

oh, and what about the rumored resolution independence?

dogcowabunga

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2004
More than just childish

How childish. I hoped that the blue screen picture was only in the beta versions.

The "blue screen" image on Windows network shares is not just "childish" -- it violates some rather basic principles of user interface design. A monitor displaying a BSOD is giving users a visual cue that the network share is somehow broken, perhaps untrustworthy if not entirely inaccessible.

It would indeed be useful if CoverFlow could distinguish between healthy and broken network shares, and given Apple's usual attention to detail one might naturally assume the BSOD was an example of this detail, rather than just a childish poke at a rival.

Of course, if M$ wants to follow suit, the next release of Windows can show 90 percent of the world's computer users that a Mac share is a funny-looking TV screen with a bomb icon on it, or that it's a kernel panic. Would Mac users appreciate the joke if it were turned in their direction?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Some very big things for me...

Resizable partitions. As someone who does some pretty large video and audio projects, this is going to be HUGE for me. Traditionally when preparing for a project I've had to back up an entire drive and then set the project partitions for scratch files and final output. Big PITA.

They observe this is snappy on a Powerbook (not Macbook) 1.33GHz? I have a 1GHz G4 Powerbook and I imagine it'll be pretty snappy there as well... I've always been impressed by Apple's ability for the OS to run smoothly on a wide range of machines. I don't think the same can be said of Windows XP.

Time Machine... One reporter observed that people are very disinclined to do backups because of the cumbersome nature of keeping regular backups. Time machine makes it so ridiculously simple, effortless and, *GASP* actually fun to use that we should be seeing fewer and fewer people freaking out about losing data. Brilliant stroke, Apple.

Notes/To-Do's ... Ok I know that it looks like no synch yet with iPhone but what's required is probably a forthcoming update to the iPhone OS to enable this feature. I can't imagine them not doing it. But here's the big kicker for me... I am irritated by the design of most to-do's where they are inextricably tied to one application. What if I'm writing up a project summary and I want to put my to-do's in that document? Well, you can make bullet lists sure but Apple went one very logical step further by having to-dos in any e-mail synch back to the global to-do list in your calendar. This is a small but brilliant innovation that, believe it or not, is the main cincher why I'm upgrading to Leopard today.

I'm computer-centric... my office desk has NO paper, none. Everything I do is on the computer and I try to use it to improve my time management, but the separation of text editors and to-do lists as distinctly unrelated applications has annoyed the hell out of me for years. I basically do not use to-dos because in Outlook I have to go back to the task list every time I want to update it or check my tasks. Reminders in Outlook annoy me because they eventually pile up. Being able to manage these on my Mac and, hopefully, synch it all with iPhone, will be a big improvement in my time management tools.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I bet Apple feels REALLY sorry for you.

If you already have a working backup-solution that you are happy with, why do you need Time Machine? So you could whine about something?

Because that working backup solution does complete backups every time it runs. Do you know how much space that takes up? TM does not do this. :rolleyes:

Hey SiliconAddict,

If your running a M$ server you can install services for Macintosh & reshare you SMB volumes via AFP.

Hope that helps!
Ben.

It does. :eek: I'm running Server 2003. I didn't know this. Thank you very much! :)

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Here's the description on resizing partitions from the Apple page. What does that mean, you have to delete the volume that comes after it? Does that mean you need an empty partition to delete in order to resize another one?

"Live Partition Resizing in Disk Utility

You may be able to gain disk space without losing data. If a volume is running out of space, simply delete the volume that comes after it on the disk and move the volume’s end point into the freed space."

MonkeyClaw

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Asheville, NC
The "blue screen" image on Windows network shares is not just "childish" -- it violates some rather basic principles of user interface design. A monitor displaying a BSOD is giving users a visual cue that the network share is somehow broken, perhaps untrustworthy if not entirely inaccessible.

It would indeed be useful if CoverFlow could distinguish between healthy and broken network shares, and given Apple's usual attention to detail one might naturally assume the BSOD was an example of this detail, rather than just a childish poke at a rival.

Of course, if M$ wants to follow suit, the next release of Windows can show 90 percent of the world's computer users that a Mac share is a funny-looking TV screen with a bomb icon on it, or that it's a kernel panic. Would Mac users appreciate the joke if it were turned in their direction?

The thing is we dont get kernal panics, I've had a mac for 3 or 4 years now and before that windows since 3.1. I have never once encountered a kernal panic or really even a problem that required a reboot. I used ME and well that was a mistake. Internet Explorer even caused a reboot. XP was much better but still bout once a month i would get a blue screen. So while its childish, it isn't a terrible thing because its mainly true.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Because that working backup solution does complete backups every time it runs. Do you know how much space that takes up? TM does not do this. :rolleyes:

It does. :eek: I'm running Server 2003. I didn't know this. Thank you very much! :)
What kind of cheeseball backup are you running then. Use some type of RSYNC variant and after the initial sync, every night will literally take minutes to backup. If you want something that can be restored by a daily schedule, use incremental backups. Who does full backups anymore, honestly.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Resizing volumes has been around since forever in every major OS. Diskpar and Diskpart allows you to easily expand logical volumes in NT and onward. Not to mention every unix and linux variant with a logical volume manager.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Mine just arrived!

Mine just arrived about ten minutes ago and I just started my erase and install! It's checking the installation DVD now for "consistency."

The menu bar doesn't look very translucent to me. Maybe it's just the space background. But everything in the menus looks a whole lot "cleaner."

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I like the iChat feature, so if its really important you can get the attention of whoever you're talking to - good idea!

Maybe I will have to see it in action, or maybe my IM habits are abnormal, but I don't use people's names when iChatting.

"Thanks for sharing that clip on YouTube, Randy."
"It's one of my favs, Bill."

??

Again, might need to see in action.

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
What's the verdict on A2DP?
It's been working fine since 9A466.
Somewhere it was said that the hologram effect only works on intel machines. Confirm of Deny? Anybody? If Gizmodo were running on only a G4 (which they comment on the speed), then its just one of those things that older machines can't do - like how the old G4 Mac Mini could not do ripples on dashboard.

Frankly - if that sort of thing is the largest issue people have with Leaopard then we are looking good.
It has nothing to do with intel or not, it's just been removed from Photo Booth.

i can't get into spaces... can't feel comfortable... i'm just too use to hot cornering exposé
So set a hot corner for Spaces. Also, Spaces is only good if you bind applications to it.

Can someone with PhotoShop CS3 please give the definitive answer as to whether it runs fine under Leopard?

I've read some stories saying that the CS3 apps may require an update from Adobe.:eek:
As I and others have said in other threads, it works fine.

In one of the posted image there is a 100% opaque menubar. It's a Leopard image with graphite look&feel. Graphite has opaque menubar?
The menubar changes depending on your wallpaper. It's also just a png you can replace last I heard.
Can anyone verify if Blu-Ray support is in Leopard?
Uh, didn't it work in Tiger?
Resizing volumes has been around since forever in every major OS.exe. Diskpar and Diskpart allows you to easily expand logical volumes in NT and onward. Not to mention every unix and linux variant with a logical volume manager.
Yeah, you just have to format them.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The thing is we dont get kernal panics, I've had a mac for 3 or 4 years now and before that windows since 3.1. I have never once encountered a kernal panic or really even a problem that required a reboot. I used ME and well that was a mistake. Internet Explorer even caused a reboot. XP was much better but still bout once a month i would get a blue screen. So while its childish, it isn't a terrible thing because its mainly true.

Bullcrap. Last year along I had 4 KP's within the first 6 months of owning my Mac. One that I could consistently do over and over again. Example. Paint shop Pro in windows makes a file that stores all of its thumbnails in. These files are useless to me so when I migrated my picts (About 5K of them.) over to iPhoto I wanted to remove these files because all told it was taking up about 100MB of space. Using Spotlight I searched for these files. :apple: - A and dragged them into the garbage can. Small problem. Spotlight can find items IN the trash. So what I'm assuming ended up happening was that as it deleted the files from my profile it showed up in spotlight in the trash can and went into a loop. BAM. Instant KP every time. I've also had them on network shares while at work. Had them with early versions of Parallels. And even had then on a couple apps. That being said that was the first 6 months of owning my MBP in Feb of 06. From Fall of last year to present I haven't had a single KP. However I can count the number of crashes I've had in Windows over the last 7 years on XP with one hand. And freezing and BBoDing is still a problem. Just because the OS doesn't outright crash doesn't mean it can't be incapacitated.

This happened at the beginning of the month....

OSXSucksAss.jpg

So I went to reboot into Windows to do some gaming and I get this on shutdown...Oh and yes I do see what is going on behind the scenes. I enabled verbose mode earlier this year so I can see what is going on. Basically i stops processing after it says continuing. At which point I can type whatever I want . the OS just sits there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.