Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
So just to confirm: not only will Time Machine not work on my nice cheap NAS drive (which I believe is SMB; at least, that's what the get-info says), but it's very unlikely to ever work on it, is that right?

That's sad -- that was the feature I was most looking forward to in Leopard. If I have to remember to connect my laptop directly to a hard-drive to backup, that kind of defeats the whole appeal of the automated, guaranteed backup system that TM offers.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
The Windows crashing argument is a bunch of a baloney. Granted 98/ME were not the hottest OS's. But everything from 2000 and beyond has been rock solid. Beyond the first month or so when XP was released, with poor driver support causing crashes, the OS has been absolutely rock stable. As part of the IT staff, I can not even tell you the last time, I've seen or heard of a report, of any one of our 100's of XP/2000 machines crashing in the office.

dpfenninger

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2005
Quartz 2D Extreme

Anybody know if Leopard has Quartz 2D Extreme finally enabled? (note, this is not regular Quartz Extreme that's been in OS X for a long time, this is the 2D interface part of the graphics layer that was supposed to be offloaded to the GPU starting with Tiger, but was not activated due to being too buggy)

For more info:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10-4.ars/14

Anyone know?

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
So just to confirm: not only will Time Machine not work on my nice cheap NAS drive (which I believe is SMB; at least, that's what the get-info says), but it's very unlikely to ever work on it, is that right?

That's sad -- that was the feature I was most looking forward to in Leopard. If I have to remember to connect my laptop directly to a hard-drive to backup, that kind of defeats the whole appeal of the automated, guaranteed backup system that TM offers.
Yeh that's difficult to remember. You must forget to plug in the monitor and mouse too. Nothing is "guaranteed" anyhow, especially if you aren't doing some type of offsite backups with tape/hdd etc.

Like others have stated, use AFP. Or better yet, you can connect your machine to an iSCSI SAN.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
I think the thing I hate most is that you can't change the opacity of things. This whole see-through thing sucks. Quick View should be solid. It does nothing to make it translucent, but is distracting

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
Just to check, is Classic gone in Leopard? Or is it still installable like in Tiger but not included?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Cant you just create a sparseimage on your NAS drive and have Time Machine backup to that?

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
Does anyone think that the scroll bars will be replaced in one of the 10.5.x updates. It seems weird that they went to the trouble of making itunes different, and not including it in the final release.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Anybody know if Leopard has Quartz 2D Extreme finally enabled? (note, this is not regular Quartz Extreme that's been in OS X for a long time, this is the 2D interface part of the graphics layer that was supposed to be offloaded to the GPU starting with Tiger, but was not activated due to being too buggy)

For more info:

Anyone know?

It's now called Quartz GL and it is off by default.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 102

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Speaking of notes from various reviews, I found this review from ABC interesting because they say that there's no way to delete a file from Time Machine once it's backed up. The implication is that if you need to get rid of any trace of a certain file for security reasons, Time Machine won't let you truly eradicate it from all existence.

If true, this is a pretty huge oversight on Apple's part. As the review says:

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I was wondering that too... :confused::confused:

On a side note, I'll be missing the R2D2... :(

kddpop

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
oklahoma city, ok

i'll miss the hologram as well. any confirmation of the removal of other neato ichat visuals...especially the "speak as balmer" feature. i love it when conan does this and would like to goof around with that as well.

~kyle

gyus

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007

For more info:

Anyone know?

No QE2d has been dropped. Apparently, the technical difficulty of implementing it OS - wide was too great and had too many problems. I too would have like to seen it. Personally, I'll be skipping this update - it seems that Leopard is Apple's Vista! Too much emphasis on cpu hogging eye candy and light on actual innovations. My prediction is that on intel boxes it will run as fast as Tiger and on PPC boxes it will run more slowly. But OS overhead as a whole has increased on Leopard - you just wont feel it as much on intel boxes.

You'll see what I mean after 7 pm tonight as reviews start rolling in!

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
If you are that security conscious, you won't be using Time Machine to back up files. It's not like you are "eradicating" files by dragging them to the Trash bin anyhow. Drill some holes through your drives and bury them somewhere in the woods.

Ryan5505

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
CA
Install

FedEx just dropped off our copies OSX at the office! We are installing on a macbook. It is taking about 5 minutes to verify the consistency of the DVD?

Anyways, I am just happy we are going to have all new operating systems and we do not have to wait in line at 6 to get it! :)

Wow, about 1.5 hours to install, I seriously cant wait.

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
If you are that security conscious, you won't be using Time Machine to back up files. It's not like you are "eradicating" files by dragging them to the Trash bin anyhow. Drill some holes through your drives and bury them somewhere in the woods.

overcast is right, you cant trust any kind of security if the attacker has physical access to your computer/drives...

said that.. on the last macbreak weekly, iirc, they were talking about timemachine, and they said, there's a way to permanently delete all instances of a file so that it wont appear on timemachine at any date once the file is deleted.

vitaflo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005

Yes you can delete items from time machine permanently. Go into time machine, click on the file(s) you want to delete from the backup and then click the gear icon in the toolbar and select "Delete all backups of _____". That will delete all instances of whatever it is you want to get rid of in your time machine backups.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
It's funny to see the same procedure as every time Apple is releasing something... no matter if hard- or software.

Huge hype -> everybody's wetting their pants -> big 'hang over'

;)

People should know by now...

I still think it is a decent update. I can't wait to get home and to play round with it. My wife called this afternoon to tell me that it was delivered already.

groovebuster

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Hi there, i haven't had time to read the thread , but is there any mention here already over a bug in leopard that makes it impossible to use the build in software update program unless you had leopard installed already on your system ( a beta build ) .The bug being that the software update program can't reach the apple servers for updating. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.