Eating Out

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Healer Flame, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Healer Flame, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019

Healer Flame macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

Weather its a junk fast food or principal meal how many times do you eat out per week/month?

For some, cooking is considered waste of time so totally depend eating out but not sure how common it is.

Sometimes when i feel like it i grab some fast food and also dine out once a week with my wife

2. Zenithal macrumors G3

Usually prefer sit down dining, but for us it's seldom. For me, there's a few places near work I don't mind going to during lunch if they're not too busy. I've got the mobile number for the head chef at one of those places for a direct, no BS answer.

Fast food... usually the day I get the results of my physical and panels. I celebrate. Also wash it down with several good beers and maybe a bottle of wine or two.

3. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

When i go to work i like to take dinner left overs or a couple of rolls but i am very addicted to soft drinks.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 ---
    I tried to quit coke zero but its really hard specially after a hot pizza, seafood or heavy meals.

4. Zenithal macrumors G3

I'll sometimes do that, too. Usually happens when I cook because I have no eye for portioning stuff out correctly. I cut out soft drinks a very long time ago. I'll sometimes indulge with a gourmet soda of some flavor once or twice a year, but that's about it.

5. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

Water is the king but it doesn't quench my thirst most of the time. I really enjoy chilli water in summer but after heavy meals nothing is better than gassed soft drinks.

6. Scepticalscribe, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Then, I suggest that you try sparkling water.

7. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

Yes, and there are flavoured sparkling waters that are very nice!

8. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Also available, are old fashioned lemonade and ginger beer, - usually prepared from natural ingredients - and similar drinks (I've had some really good French raspberry lemonade and well as standard lemonades) which can be lovely taken in small quantities, are very refreshing, and not too sweet.

9. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

Didn't like it, tried many times but no satisfaction

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

Try flavored seltzer. Most people are turned off by the taste of mineral water which most refer to as sparkling.

11. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

We'll try the suggestions above. There is one with raspberry soda but too much sugar in it.

12. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

There are many different types of sparkling mineral water; some are very salty (such as the stunning and superb Georgian natural sparkling water, Borjomi, whereas others are less so). Personally, like most of them - some a lot, and drink Pellegrino, (Italian), Borjomi (Georgian, when I can lay hands on it), Perrier (French), Ballygowan (Irish) among others.

Re natural lemonades, there are a few very good French brands on the market (Belvoir comes to mind) and one or two very good ones from the UK.

13. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

Not sure if we got them here in Australia but thanks for the list, very interesting list we'll look for it. I love the burning of gas in my throat after meal.

14. 5KDan macrumors member

Unfortunately, we don't have as many choices in the States. I've grown addicted to the two that ARE widely available - Perrier and San Pellegrino.

15. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Both are excellent.

My beverage of choice is sparkling mineral water.

16. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I used to love restaurants and being a regular with the staff and bartender. Anymore it seems I only go to a restaurant when a friend wants to get together. That happens maybe three times a year.

Otherwise I routinely eat a salad from the office cafeteria.

On the beverage topic, a glass of lemonade with a thick orange slice squeezed in and floating is delicious. The sweetness of the orange cuts through the lemon’s tartness perfectly!

17. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Couldn't agree more; and, when out, I will often have a slice or two of lemon in my sparkling water.

18. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

We [almost] never eat out just for sustenance, for us it's more of an "event". So we always go to a sit down, table service restaurant, relax, talk, etc., and one that also has, at a minimum, __good__ beer (and sometimes wine).

Even when we were traveling over the last 30 days, in The Keys we ate out a good bit, but also cooked at the condo (mmm ... lobster tacos ...) and we were more recently in DC (fun and work), and we stayed in a executive type suite that had a small kitchen, so in the morning, we fixed breakfast in the room (scored some excellent smoked salmon and bagels from Trader Joes 3 blocks away). When I was doing my work thing, I just skipped lunch and ate a power/protein bar, worked through lunch time. Then in the evening, hit up an interesting restaurant in walking distance - or a couple of M stops away - where we could kill a good 2 hours just getting dinner. :)

I guess I should mention we also have the luxury of working from home, so we don't have to worry about dealing with a quick lunch from a cart or fast food joint, we do our own lunch at home 99% of the time, unless we're going out for some specific thing, like a school event where we pick up the little G and do like an early dinner.

19. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

I eat at home mostly, but I both love fine dining, - and will leap at opportunities to dine out - and am a pretty good cook.

Junk food is a rarity, but an occasional treat.

20. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Check the labels, many of the flavored variety have zero calories. I currently am drinking a Kroger Brand Lemon and seperatly, a Cranberry Lime Seltzer Water. Occasionally I drink Topo Chico, a sparkling mineral water with a high amount of carbonation.

53917B4B-182F-4C72-B216-BE09323C504F.png

21. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

Years ago while on Holiday in Egypt i had junk food for 6 weeks and really really got sick of it. The hotel only provides breakfast so yeah it was sickening......oh home sweet home , nothing is like home.

22. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

You didn't try the local cuisine then? I wouldn't call it junk food unless all you ate were fried falafel (or tamiya as they call them there) from street carts.

23. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Agreed; some Middle Eastern cuisine (and dishes) are brilliant.

Agree with @decafjava; and disagree completely that "nothing is like home"; travelling and exploring other cultures and cuisines is how you learn and broaden your mind.

It is okay to dislike some (or even most) of it; it is not okay to dismiss it without trying it out.

In Italy, Greece and Turkey, my parents would walk around, explore, prowl and stroll until they found a clean place - restaurant, taverna - full of locals; they knew that this was where the food would be good, authentic, and not outrageously expensive. They also learned that by there second visit, they would be welcomed like friends, often being invited to meet the owner's family and friends.

24. Healer Flame thread starter macrumors 6502a

Healer Flame

They have the best Pizza hut and most western Franchised outlets, they taste really different than Australia's one especially Pizza. Tried local cuisine as well i like some of it.
    Guess what i had to wait 45 minutes for McDonalds two medium fillets of fish meals. Very slow service but very tasty.
    I think in Australia they just put it in a microwave how disgusting.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2019 ---
    Of course, the whole idea of the trip was to explore Egypt and its culture but there are times where you really want to be home.

25. Zenithal macrumors G3

I love how this stuff shot up in price after the hipsters started drinking it and telling everyone. I remember avoiding it because it looked sketchy especially at 35-50 cents a bottle.