Eddy Cue Previews 'Planet of the Apps' at Code Conference: Non-Linear Viewing, Weekly Release, First Trailer and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

Worse then I had immagined. A Shark Tank clone with stupid **** thrown in like making them pitch while riding an escalator.

How utterly retarded. I can't believe this somehow got made before "let's throw obscene money at Netflix and buy them" becomes an option.

This show not only shows a lack of understanding of the video content Apple Music subscribers would want to see, but also a lack of understanding of what it's like to be an app developer. Perpetuating this idea that the App Store is a place where you can get rich when the reality is that boom is mostly very much over.

I hope it flops, I hope it gets torn apart. Eddie Cue has done **** work since Steve Jobs passed. This is a reflection of it.

2. omenatarhuri, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

Shark Tank is great. Sorry guys, no hate.

I do find it a bit odd that they invited just mainly entertainment people (actors, musician) as judges. Nobody from games or business app side.

3. Jsameds macrumors 68040

The same reason they sell movies via iTunes

4. simx34 macrumors newbie

Oh dear... This doesn't look good at all.
    Never seen Apple suck so proudly from the tit of pop culture.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

App Tank.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2017 ---
    I mean seriously. Just read this.

Aspiring app developers descend down an escalator while pitching four judges on their idea. By the time they get to the bottom, the judges must swipe left or right to demonstrate whether they're interested.
    In the tank with whoever greenlit this based on that pitch.

6. wilhelmer macrumors member

Well, at least you can tune in to a movie. But you can't watch music (unless you are on drugs).

7. B-Mc-C, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

B-Mc-C macrumors newbie

Thinking out loud... Netflix did not produce House of Cards, which is what really helped them take off in a big way and propelled their subscriber growth (and stock price) as of late. They purchased it and licensed the branding rights. Apple's dumbest move, for a company sitting there almost idle, with more money than God himself, was not beating them to it. That was the chance for them to get into content and get back to a growth multiple. Now the market cap of Netflix is way too high for them to consider as an acquisition. I echo the concerns of this entire thread regarding this show, and it makes me sad.

8. Jsameds macrumors 68040

You can also clutch at straws.

9. ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

MTV ca 1981 would like a word.

10. Srtlewis macrumors newbie

I am a content producer and honestly I wouldn't have touched this with a 10 foot pole. "Hey let's take a tired format, make it about something 99pct of the public doesn't care about, then ..... wait for it.... add Will.I.am and boom success".

11. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

When I first heard Apple had this Planet of the Apps concept in mind I said to myself, "I wonder if it'll be like Shark Tank but for apps?"
    Looks like I was right.

Anyway unlike everyone else here I don't think it looks horrible, I just think it's pointless and they chose the wrong people to play the "sharks".

Personally I feel that PotA and Carpool Karaoke are just a waste of time and money anyway.
    It would've been a better idea to focus on just getting streaming exclusives for :apple:TV instead of trying to create their own original content.

I understand they are trying to compete with Netflix and their original shows, but you know what the difference is?
    Apple has decided to create original content that is connected to Apple in some way. Singing along to songs on Apple Music and showing developers creating new apps for Apple devices.
    When Netflix creates some original show they end up being adaptations of a comic book (Marvel), or novels (Lemony Snicket), or a memoir involving women behind bars (Orange is the New Black), or it's a documentary about a possibly falsely accused murderer (Making a Murderer), or a political drama (House of Cards) or it's simply an original property about a group of kids in the 80's encountering supernatural situations (Stranger Things) and etc, etc...

Netflix didn't create a frigging "behind the scenes" show involving new startups trying to launch their own streaming service. That would be ridiculous!

12. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

So I guess Jessica Alba and Gwyneth Paltrow are just there for name dropping?
    Where is the connection to apps?

13. Aussi3 Suspended

Aussi3

I like it! ....

Sorry I just wanted to be different from everyone else for a sec.

14. jdillings, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

jdillings macrumors 68000

The world's most culturally influential entrepreneurs...ROFL. Looks like a really, really bad Shark Tank ripoff. The show reeks of being the brainchild of a sixty year old desperately trying to appear to be hip. Cue is so clueless about creating original content. Nobody's going to pay for Apple Music to watch this crap. Netflix, Amazon and HBO execs are going to have a good laugh tomorrow when they watch this preview.

15. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

This show looks awesome. And Gary Vaynerchuk is definitely not some random media guy. Not sure how Paltrow fits, but the other 3 are highly successful entrepreneurs.

16. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

It seems to be a combination of Dragons Den and typical talent show. If they ditched the talent show bit and had people compete for support developing their top app ideas and getting them to market that could be cool and then the successful ones you spend the episode following their journey seeing development, marketing, release and the rewards of releasing a top app.

The judges panel though seems less of who is influential in the apps world and what names can we get.

17. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

12 years ago, Apples iPod & mac lineup were The "it" products. . .

Today, Apple looks like the suit that still tries to be hip and cool

And fails

Heres an COOL, FRESH idea, REFRESH THR ENTIRE DESKTOP MAC LINEUP

iMac, Mac Mini, Mac pro

18. truthertech macrumors 68000

Netflix has made some good moves, but they are in a very precarious position. They are now bidding against Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Showtime and others, and soon maybe Apple for the producers and studio content. They are spending $6 billion dollars this year on "original content" and there is a question if they can keep raising prices to keep up with expenses.

BTW, you have it wrong about House of Cards. Netflix didn't buy House of Cards they paid $100 million to the producers for American rights for the first two seasons. Netflix then had to go back to the producers and bid for the subsequent seasons. They didn't end up with exclusive rights in every country even. That's Netflix's problem, they are bidding for rights, but since they don't have an advertising model, they have to hope that they get new subscribers sufficient to offset those ever increasing costs or that they are able to raise prices to offset- a growing question.

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm a big fan of Shark Tank and it's predecessor Dragon's Den, and I'm a developer, but Planet of the Apps looks pretty ridiculous. A "pitch escalator"? WTF! But I will watch for Jessica Alba.

20. Sam_S macrumors 6502

21. truthertech macrumors 68000

How do you explain their world record setting records? Are most consumers just not cool? , because they seem to love Apple more than just about any company in the world, certainly tech companies. 85% of the tablet market for anything over $200, they own the Smart Watch market and can't barely keep up with demand. The iPhone is just killing it and Apple just keeps selling hundreds of millions each year. The Airbuds are selling as fast as Apple can make them. They are now the largest seller of wireless headphones in the world. They own the all in one desktop market. I mean if they are failing so bad, how do we explain that level of unbelievable success?

22. 2010mini macrumors 601

I want to see this just to witness what devs come up with. I am fascinated by what motivates people to create an app.

23. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

That would be about now.

To make this even more unwatchable they could have added Chris Brown and Justin Bieber, so I guess we're lucky? (Not me – I really can't wait to not watch it.)

How did Iovine phrase it? Let me look it up. "We’re trying to make the music service a cultural point of reference, and that’s why we’re making video" Yes, Mr Iovine. With music as a cultural point of reference the sensible thing to do is make a show about apps. Why not add a dating service as well?

I'm commenting in this thread for the same reason I read all threads about TIDAL – I love watching (metaphorical, so nobody gets hurt) car crashes as they're happening, in slow motion.

24. Harry Mlondobozi macrumors newbie

Harry Mlondobozi

I'm interested. Tired of consuming. Developing apps looks more rewarding, especially financially.
    The judges that have been chosen though do not make sense though. Does Apple want people who don't know how to develop apps to give a customer's opinion? Or do these 4 people actually know what they are dealing with?

25. Royal Gala, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

16:16

Host: How come no one has made a show about apps until now? It seems like there should be...there's a good reason they haven't made an app reality show.

*room fills up with laughter*

Ben Silverman: *laughs* And what's that?

Host: I don't know? You would think someone would have tried it by now....

Eddy: *smiles*

18:46

Host: Why edge into it like this? You spent 3 billion dollars on beats - it's a headphone company and some talented executives. So why not, why not make a big splash and buy a studio, buy a time warner, buy a Netflix, do something really big at scale? Is this you learning how tv works? I would have thought you'd know by this point?

Eddy: *chuckles*