Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
wow, i just got even less interested in apple music. take an overused tv-reality format made for superficial idiots, base it on content that's absolutely inappropriate for this kind of format and add some clueless celebrities. i can understand that they needed something to make carpool karaoke look good in comparison, but still - why? it just looks cheap, stupid and utterly out of touch (at least the first 30 seconds until i couldn't watch the trailer any more) - that's so obviously wasted money, i wish they'd just given every mbp-buyer an usb-c adapter instead.

this is probably going to be the "ping" of tv-entertainment. a dry wastland by week 2. i guess, if anything, they'll just release numbers of the download of the first - heavily advertised - episode ("over a million...") - and then we'll never hear from it again.

Last edited:

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I guess that means you're not interested in Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu either because they also host shows that you don't like.

no, you guessed wrong, i got netflix and amazon prime (no hulu over here) - must be something different.

maybe it's because this is about advertising for apple music and because it's pretty bad - i believe in advertising also having negative effects. or maybe it's because it clashes with apple's self-projected image - focusing on details, polishing things, trying to make the best product.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Owww they could not fit everyone into an elevator . Let's go with the escalator pitch .

Geez this looks dull, dragons den with apps....zzzzzzz

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
12 years ago, Apples iPod & mac lineup were The "it" products. . .

Today, Apple looks like the suit that still tries to be hip and cool

And fails

Heres an COOL, FRESH idea, REFRESH THR ENTIRE DESKTOP MAC LINEUP

iMac, Mac Mini, Mac pro
You think the Mac mini and Mac Pro were ever "it" products? Seriously?
[doublepost=1487063007][/doublepost]
So all we get is: subscribe to Apple music and watch our show? How about you make some killer products, you know, your core competency.
Apple Music isn't a product?

Reactions: Tycho24

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
If they really plan to make or buy more content like movies and series they should think about re-branding.
Apple Music doesn't describe the service accurately. This might be a minor complaint but branding is important and when looking for a way of watching content, Apple Music isn't something people have in mind.

Reactions: 5105973

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
So all we get is: subscribe to Apple music and watch our show? How about you make some killer products, you know, your core competency.

Tim asked me to answer your question about killer products, based on sales, just in the past two years:

iPhone
iPad
Apple Watch
AirPods
Apple Pay
Apple Music
Apple Pencil
MacBook Pros

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Having watched the trailer, I don't even know where to begin.

The format: Yet another Artificial Clock of Jeopardy show. Is app development not interesting enough to sustain a show by itself without it being turned into a "pitch against the clock" show? And why are developers coming down an escalator?! Maybe with not having watched mainstream television in years I'm unaware that just about every TV show now conforms to this format.

The celebs: Does everyone remember Blackberry announcing Alicia Keys as their 'tech evangelist' at one of their last stage presentations? Does anyone remember how awkward it was suggesting someone known for singing was going to spearhead their tech initiative? Or how awkward it was when she left the stage and Heinz said 'See you in the office on Monday!". What on EARTH does Apple see in a bunch of actors and existing reality TV 'slebs? And why are they regarded as worthwhile arbiters of tech potential? When considering whether to invest in a new application or tech service, my first port of call isn't anyone on the judging panel for this. Nor are they the last or anyone in between.

The branding: Out of everything that could have been done to inaugurate Apple's TV/video service, was there no big name drama that could have been poached from a rival? No new show being pitched by a production team with a proven track record? No documentary series that could have covered and touched on an aspect of the industry without the standard gameshow gimmicks?

I was in the new Liverpool ONE store (UK) this weekend checking out the laptops and ipads are both of mine are over 4 years old and I'm considering a refresh. Whilst the store looked great, the none machine element (iPhones, iPads, Macs) were 95% cases. iPhone cases, ipad cases, MacBook sleeves. Productivity and associated peripherals have been downplayed to the point of none existence. This TV show looks to be part of the same move to fashion (as distinct from lifestyle) driven consumer focused to the exclusion of all else Apple.

Love my Apple Music subscription and my iPhone but I'm struggling to see the value in everything else Apple is doing, especially as like for like products are nearly 2x the price of the competition without 2x the value (cf 15" 512GB MBP vs my current, creaking equivalent MBP).

With any luck this celeb reality nonsense will tank and Apple might consider something with a little more substance for their next video venture.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
16:16
Host: How come no one has made a show about apps until now? It seems like there should be...there's a good reason they haven't made an app reality show.
*room fills up with laughter*
Ben Silverman: *laughs* And what's that?
Host: I don't know? You would think someone would have tried it by now....
Eddy: *smiles*
18:46
Host: Why edge into it like this? You spent 3 billion dollars on beats - it's a headphone company and some talented executives. So why not, why not make a big splash and buy a studio, buy a time warner, buy a Netflix, do something really big at scale? Is this you learning how tv works? I would have thought you'd know by this point?
Eddy: *chuckles*

OK, now I finally understand:
Its hip because it is a partnership with Apple who are superb because their content is done by Cue, who is superb because it is he is with Apple, which is hip because he does this kind of shows since they failed to setup their own content partnerships because Eddy didn't bring in content deals because Apple was not able to hire a guy to establish a content strategy despite being funded with the largest budgets that could have started a Hollywood by their own.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Guys I hate to say this but I truly believe it.

Steve Jobs would have never allowed this.

He really would have yelled at the team then cried after.

Ha! I'd agree, except for the fact that Jobs once cast himself as Roosevelt in this truly cringeworthy 1984 Mac promo film:

The Planet of the Apps trailer looks positively wonderful in comparison :D

Last edited:

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
This is like Dragon's Den
[doublepost=1487069281][/doublepost]They're going to have to change Apple Music to something else eventually?

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Each time Cue speaks, I am wondering why he is SVP.

It's super confusing to have shows in the Music app. This is brand mismanagement all over the place. Keep it simple, Apple, that was your success. Music is music, not ping, not TV reality shows, ...

This show looks unnecessary, overacted. And if it was all about apps, the trailer would have shown apps. I can barely see them.

Eightarmedpet

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
London's famous London
And to be clear, I don't like being negative for the sake of being negative, and I'll check this out with an open mind only out of curiosity, but this screams terrible. Gwyneth Paltrow and Will I Am? Seriously? That's beyond tone deaf. It's embarrassing. That trailer made my brain hurt.

100% with you. I hate how negative this site's comments are but this is beyond awful, almost looks like a parody. The lighting, the visuals, the cast, EVERYTHING.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Ha! I'd agree, except for the fact that Jobs once cast himself as Roosevelt in this truly cringeworthy 1984 Mac promo film:

The Planet of the Apps trailer looks positively wonderful in comparison :D

Thanks (I think!) for this - I've never seen it before and it really is cringeworthy in the extreme!

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's basically shark tank but it focuses on the weakest entrants to the shark tank: the app developers.

Not only was that trailer super cringey (60 second pitches on an escalator really?) but the whole concept is just not entertaining.

A swing and a miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.