Eddy Cue Previews 'Planet of the Apps' at Code Conference: Non-Linear Viewing, Weekly Release, First Trailer and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Unami, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

Unami macrumors 6502a

wow, i just got even less interested in apple music. take an overused tv-reality format made for superficial idiots, base it on content that's absolutely inappropriate for this kind of format and add some clueless celebrities. i can understand that they needed something to make carpool karaoke look good in comparison, but still - why? it just looks cheap, stupid and utterly out of touch (at least the first 30 seconds until i couldn't watch the trailer any more) - that's so obviously wasted money, i wish they'd just given every mbp-buyer an usb-c adapter instead.

this is probably going to be the "ping" of tv-entertainment. a dry wastland by week 2. i guess, if anything, they'll just release numbers of the download of the first - heavily advertised - episode ("over a million...") - and then we'll never hear from it again.

2. Jsameds macrumors 68040

I guess that means you're not interested in Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu either because they also host shows that you don't like.

3. Unami, Feb 14, 2017

Unami macrumors 6502a

no, you guessed wrong, i got netflix and amazon prime (no hulu over here) - must be something different.

maybe it's because this is about advertising for apple music and because it's pretty bad - i believe in advertising also having negative effects. or maybe it's because it clashes with apple's self-projected image - focusing on details, polishing things, trying to make the best product.

4. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Owww they could not fit everyone into an elevator . Let's go with the escalator pitch .

Geez this looks dull, dragons den with apps....zzzzzzz

5. vmachiel macrumors 68000

So all we get is: subscribe to Apple music and watch our show? How about you make some killer products, you know, your core competency.

6. breather macrumors member

breather

So it´s Dragons Den then? Will give it a 2-ep chance...

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

You think the Mac mini and Mac Pro were ever "it" products? Seriously?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Apple Music isn't a product?

8. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

If they really plan to make or buy more content like movies and series they should think about re-branding.
    Apple Music doesn't describe the service accurately. This might be a minor complaint but branding is important and when looking for a way of watching content, Apple Music isn't something people have in mind.

9. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Just by reading MR commenters takes it's clear the show will be a hit.

10. truthertech macrumors 68000

Tim asked me to answer your question about killer products, based on sales, just in the past two years:

iPhone
    iPad
    Apple Watch
    AirPods
    Apple Pay
    Apple Music
    Apple Pencil
    MacBook Pros

11. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Having watched the trailer, I don't even know where to begin.

The format: Yet another Artificial Clock of Jeopardy show. Is app development not interesting enough to sustain a show by itself without it being turned into a "pitch against the clock" show? And why are developers coming down an escalator?! Maybe with not having watched mainstream television in years I'm unaware that just about every TV show now conforms to this format.

The celebs: Does everyone remember Blackberry announcing Alicia Keys as their 'tech evangelist' at one of their last stage presentations? Does anyone remember how awkward it was suggesting someone known for singing was going to spearhead their tech initiative? Or how awkward it was when she left the stage and Heinz said 'See you in the office on Monday!". What on EARTH does Apple see in a bunch of actors and existing reality TV 'slebs? And why are they regarded as worthwhile arbiters of tech potential? When considering whether to invest in a new application or tech service, my first port of call isn't anyone on the judging panel for this. Nor are they the last or anyone in between.

The branding: Out of everything that could have been done to inaugurate Apple's TV/video service, was there no big name drama that could have been poached from a rival? No new show being pitched by a production team with a proven track record? No documentary series that could have covered and touched on an aspect of the industry without the standard gameshow gimmicks?

I was in the new Liverpool ONE store (UK) this weekend checking out the laptops and ipads are both of mine are over 4 years old and I'm considering a refresh. Whilst the store looked great, the none machine element (iPhones, iPads, Macs) were 95% cases. iPhone cases, ipad cases, MacBook sleeves. Productivity and associated peripherals have been downplayed to the point of none existence. This TV show looks to be part of the same move to fashion (as distinct from lifestyle) driven consumer focused to the exclusion of all else Apple.

Love my Apple Music subscription and my iPhone but I'm struggling to see the value in everything else Apple is doing, especially as like for like products are nearly 2x the price of the competition without 2x the value (cf 15" 512GB MBP vs my current, creaking equivalent MBP).

With any luck this celeb reality nonsense will tank and Apple might consider something with a little more substance for their next video venture.

12. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

OK, now I finally understand:
    Its hip because it is a partnership with Apple who are superb because their content is done by Cue, who is superb because it is he is with Apple, which is hip because he does this kind of shows since they failed to setup their own content partnerships because Eddy didn't bring in content deals because Apple was not able to hire a guy to establish a content strategy despite being funded with the largest budgets that could have started a Hollywood by their own.

13. kdarling, Feb 14, 2017

kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Ha! I'd agree, except for the fact that Jobs once cast himself as Roosevelt in this truly cringeworthy 1984 Mac promo film:

The Planet of the Apps trailer looks positively wonderful in comparison :D

14. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Cool, Carpool Karaoke featuring binging on cocktails in a bar.

15. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Oh... I was hoping it was going to be a gritty fly on the wall documentary about app development.

But no, it's some mainstream nonsense for morons. Urgh.

16. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

This is like Dragon's Den
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    They're going to have to change Apple Music to something else eventually?

17. Danoc macrumors 6502

Each time Cue speaks, I am wondering why he is SVP.

It's super confusing to have shows in the Music app. This is brand mismanagement all over the place. Keep it simple, Apple, that was your success. Music is music, not ping, not TV reality shows, ...

This show looks unnecessary, overacted. And if it was all about apps, the trailer would have shown apps. I can barely see them.

18. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

100% with you. I hate how negative this site's comments are but this is beyond awful, almost looks like a parody. The lighting, the visuals, the cast, EVERYTHING.

19. entropys macrumors 6502a

entropys

That has got to be an inhouse joke.

20. macford macrumors member

macford

So I realize that now that I'm 50 years old I'm no longer the target market for anything other than infomercials and pharmaceuticals. But I have to say that this looks absolutely horrible.

21. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Thanks (I think!) for this - I've never seen it before and it really is cringeworthy in the extreme!

22. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

This is a branding and content nightmare. D-O-A

23. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

24. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

It's basically shark tank but it focuses on the weakest entrants to the shark tank: the app developers.

Not only was that trailer super cringey (60 second pitches on an escalator really?) but the whole concept is just not entertaining.

A swing and a miss.

25. robjulo macrumors 65816