Eddy Cue Previews 'Planet of the Apps' at Code Conference: Non-Linear Viewing, Weekly Release, First Trailer and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2017.

1. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

My eyes!! Noooo!!!!!!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Ok, looked Gary up and he seems like the best fit in my opinion.

2. 576316 macrumors 601

Okay, but is it not going to get confusing for consumers when we have 'Apple MUSIC - and TV shows!'

The service needs a new name.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Just desperately following whichever market is growing quickly, instead of creating new ones like they always used to.

3. Spectrum macrumors 65816

Spectrum

Agreed. I'm not a fan of talent shows, but at least those centre on a piece of entertainment (dancing, singing etc).

In order to increase the profile of the App development process, I think it could have been way better to make a situation comedy based on App developers - something akin to The Office perhaps? (Without Gervais). And showing the ups and downs of the development process in a lighthearted darkly-comic manner.

4. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Te.di.um

5. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

This is basically shark tank about iphone apps.

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

What the **** has this company turned into...

7. imronburgundy macrumors regular

imronburgundy

I think I'll swipe left on this one...

8. aleksander macrumors member

aleksander

How does Apple plan to 'create culture' with the same ol' same ol' crap like this? Polished to the extreme by Apple's no.1 bozo Cue & co., it will fail like Connect. Apple's problem is they are on a too high a horse and can't think and act fresh like a startup/underdog anymore.

9. honglong1976, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

will-i-am :) how does he keep getting shows? who keeps investing in him? He seems to make one failed tech product after another. Remember the camera add on for the iPhone? The wristband/smartwatch phone? Great comedy value though waiting to see what he comes up with next! :)

1. iPhone has a camera, how about an add on, that's a camera? (investors! we're in)
    2. how about a phone, but it's on your wrist, like a smart watch but rubbish with awful battery life (investors, we're in)
    3. how about headphones that choke you? let's even call it "choker"
    https://iamplus.com/buttons-choker/ (investors! we're in)

what next?
    a speaker that's also a hat?
    an umbrella that's an iPhone antenna?
    a phone made from cardboard

how does he do it?
    i.am+ has taken The Pledge. Through our participation in Pledge 1%, i.am+ will donate 1% of net proceeds, 1% of staff time, and 1% of product to the i.am.angel Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) education opportunities, scholarships, and college readiness programs to students from underserved communities.

What will they do with that $5? haha

10. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

This is what has happened to Apple.
    The four Stooges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. SgtPepper12 macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

This is seriously orders of magnitude worse than the worst thing I imagined.

12. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

This is why we have the "Hard Pass" option- for moments like this.

If netflix had started making original songs, you might have a point.

13. sdz macrumors 6502

14. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

I honestly expected this to be a docu-drama style show, but a game show? Hmmm...

And all you get is banner placement on the App Store?

Also Apple has the best Cocoa developers in the world and they chose this group to host a judge? Honestly I'd rather see and hear what their internal dev think about these people's ideas. THAT would be interesting.

15. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't understand the reasoning, nor what market segment they pretend to talk to - it's somehow meant to be for the young and hip, but they rely on has-been celebs the kids have never heard of (or at the very least, aren't considered cool at all), focusing on development phases nobody cares about unless you're talking to geeks, and all this is for a streaming service that, while certainly as good as any, doesn't exactly have anything unique to make it stand out - and this really doesn't help it.

The Apple Music team is really clueless.

16. MacBergin macrumors regular

MacBergin

Both shows look great. I can't wait to watch them. Thanks Apple.

17. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Yeah you're right, I'm just bummed the Mac is getting so little love. I just don't want to move to Linux or Windows.

18. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

Planet of the Apps looks annoying. Terrible even. Doesn't help that they've chosen some of the most unlikeable hacks for judges.

19. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Abusive Margins at everything they sell?

20. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Did either of those two exist 12 years ago? I have a late 2005 Mac Mini G4, so maybe there was the mini 12 years ago.
    Did Tim also give you any numbers to back up the sales of those products? Or should we take your word for it?

BTW, I am not saying these products didn't sell well, I am just saying that you know just as much as the rest of us on how well these products actually sold.

I was also thinking that this would be a documentary on App development. I am pretty disappointed. It looks pretty silly to me.

21. BoltmanLives, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Surface Pro and eco, lack of easy and massively popular low hanging fruit ideas like touch iPod iterations.

As for Music , I think its for the rich execs of Apl to get noticed by some celebrities on subscribers backs. Think about it, this is not for you, its for THEM and their entertainment and feeling like THEY are part of culture. In essence paying for "hip" friends. They know many will buy anything with their logo to keep this celebrity tour affair afloat.

Apl is in a quandary with no new killer ideas.....They MUST earn more revenue per existing users....see watch, music, car , pay , airpod and glasses

22. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

I made the effort. It was a bit too soon after eating and I'm having a hard time keeping my breakfast down. :confused:

I never for a moment thought any living being could annoy me more than Justin Bieber. And then someone thought to put will.i.am, Jessica Alba, Gwyneth Paltrow and some self important dude I never heard of on a panel and inflate their already over inflated egos by hyping their dubious entrepreneurial skills beyond all measure and worse...by punctuating their every uttterance with dramatic music. :eek:

Really, let's go all out and make it even more painful by having the whole thing presented by Fran Drescher. If you don't know who she is...Google "The Nanny" and get a load of her nasally voice.

Oh well it could be much worse. Kris Kardashian could have been a mentor. Though that might make more sense, given that there's an app in the App Store with Kim's name on it that seems to be doing well.

23. Smartass macrumors 65816

It is funny, since they've been cut of from real world for some time now hehe

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The difference is Shark Tank has a smart, reality show experienced, producer AND an interesting cast. Also Shark Tank doesn't focus on one kind of product. Planet of the Apps is too niche, its production, based on the trailer, feels of a 2nd year broadcast school project level, and the cast ranges from boring to nauseating and also not believable as tech or business moguls. I don't even love to hate any of them like I do some of the Sharks, I just want them to stay off my screen. That said Tank is also getting a bit long in the shark tooth. These kind of shows are at the end of their cycle.