Eddy Cue Says He 'Disagrees Vehemently' With Those Who Believe Apple's Pace of Innovation Has Slowed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just over a decade after the iPhone launched, and six years after Steve Jobs passed, some critics believe that Apple's pace of innovation has slowed. Unsurprisingly, Apple's services chief Eddy Cue doesn't share that opinion.

[​IMG]

"I disagree vehemently with that and I think we've been incredibly innovative," said Cue, in a recent interview with Indian publication Livemint.

Cue pointed out that both the iPad and Apple Watch launched after the iPhone, while noting that revolutionary products take time. He also believes that Apple's work on Mac, macOS, and iOS has led the market.
    The rest of the interview was primarily focused on Apple's roadmap for India, which Cue described as a "very long-term opportunity."

Cue said Apple is focused on three areas in India, including the App Store, Apple Maps, and a bundle of other services such as iCloud and Apple Music. Of note, he said Apple is "working on" bringing Apple Pay to India.
    Cue said Apple doesn't have an exact launch date to announce for Apple Pay in India at this point since it's not "a 100 percent" yet.

In the full-length interview, Cue also reflects upon the leadership styles of past and present Apple CEOs Tim Cook and Steve Jobs, and on Apple's increasing efforts to produce original content.

Article Link: Eddy Cue Says He 'Disagrees Vehemently' With Those Who Believe Apple's Pace of Innovation Has Slowed

2. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

i don't think he'd agree anyway as he WORKS for apple

would be bad press

3. camnchar macrumors 6502

camnchar

4. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

5. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I'll Vehemently disagree with him. Higher prices for little advancement,.

6. spacebro macrumors 6502

7. Xavier macrumors 68030

Top Apple executive says that Apple is doing well with ________ .

8. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Well, saying "incredibly innovative" and "disagree vehemently" does not mean it is or is not respectively true.

When will these high paid showman come to understand that words have meaning and continued use of words that far over describe the releases and products they actually produce just makes the showman unbelievable. We don't buy products because of how Cue or Cook describes them.

9. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

There haven’t been any revolutionary products since the iPhone, and there won’t be for years to come. People who think they come often are simply not intelligent enough. Granted, Cue is terrible, annoying, and lying in the article since he mentioned the watch.

10. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Apple is always on the cutting edge of innovation. For example, I never could have imagined a bluetooth option that stays on even when you turn it off.

11. MH01 Suspended

MH01

wow , says the guys, whose projects (areas he looks after) are struggling.......

A better question, what does he do? Does he know.....lunches, bad shirts?

12. xkam1x macrumors member

What apple calls "Innovation", many consider it computer equivalent of anorexia.

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

Well I'm sure the iPad was in development before SJ passed.

But it's not the innovation I question.

It's the increase in the amount of what I believe to be inefficient software releases.
    Seems to have been some larger bugs/issues with the last few OSs (both desktop and iOS).

I've been more disappointed with that tbh.

14. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. I do believe they are out of relevant ideas. Why would I pay $1,000 for face recognition and some slightly bumped specs? Seriously, where's the REAL innovation?

15. DisNerd macrumors member

You know, Eddy loves content creation so much. Why don’t he and Tim star in a real life Gilligan’s island reboot and leave Craig to run Apple. ;)

16. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

17. davidwes macrumors 6502

To me, Eddy Cue is the weakest link in this company and I don't understand why he is still here.

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The iPhone was groundbreaking in 2007 bringing full touchscreen to the mainstream, IMO it's an unrealistic expectation to see that sort of breakthrough every year, let alone more than once in a decade. Sure, other manufacturers may have more advanced features, better displays, etc. ahead of Apple but they're not innovating either, they're just capitalizing on what Apple has already done, only without the quality control.

19. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Like it or not the Apple Watch is a fantastic product. Don't get me wrong, I've been frustrated with Apple for the past few years (especially with the lack of high end Mac hardware advancements), but the watch was no easy feat and it works really well and sells well. I'd say it is an innovative product.

20. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it was. In fact, the iPad preceded the iPhone in early development but was put on hold when Steve decided the iPhone was a more immediately relevant product.

21. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Well nobody at Apple would publicly agree to something like that.

22. stukdog macrumors 6502

23. asfonseca macrumors newbie

asfonseca

The problem is not a question of the pace of innovation, but a matter of focus and evolution of product lines. This year was exceptionally good, but 2014, 2015 and 2016 were years in which Apple simply abandoned several of its products and did not show much until the second half of 2016.

I also think there was a lot under Cue's responsibility. Siri had been on autopilot for four years, at least. Mac App Store is also abandoned. Maps especially is an area that needs urgent attention.

24. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

It’s concerning revolutionary products. The watch is the furthest thing from revolutionary.

If the watch tracked numerous biometrics with high accuracy, then it would be revolutionary. It does not, and won’t anytime soon.

25. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

It's fine, but I switched to the Samsung Gear and actually like it a lot better. I'm not sure the iWatch was that much of a heroic feat of innovation. Fitbit and others were already in the space.