Eddy Cue Says He 'Disagrees Vehemently' With Those Who Believe Apple's Pace of Innovation Has Slowed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I disagree that I'm taking a leap. Just look at the definition of the word Innovation for goodness sake.

They don't come up with new ideas or product categories. They are a company built on iterative improvements of other peoples ideas. Often just buying companies that have already developed a technology they need like with TouchID and FaceID.

Cameras on the iPhone? Developed by Sony. Processor? ARM design iterated by Apple, manufactured for them by TSMC and Samsung. iPhone X display? Samsung. NAND flash? Sandisk, Toshiba and Samsung. you can look to practically anything they make and it's a combination of other companies technologies.

Is this a bad thing? hell no. Apple still makes great stuff, but it is not in any way innovation, Tim Cook understands that by saying they're not first, second, third or even forth to implement someone else's idea.

2. Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

As of lately, I'm sweatting at night - being surrounded by more and more notched devices, battery and camera bulbs, lost ports, upside down charging morons around me. How can so much 1st world design sorrow on the planet be attributed to a single individual ?

3. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Lol, that’s not what Tim Cook meant. He’s referencing how Apple products (Mac, iPhone, iPod, etc.) weren’t industry firsts.

You may be the only person that interpreted his comment as a submission to Apple not being innovative.

4. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

Him, me and the dictionary - Innovative: using or showing new methods, ideas, etc.

5. MrX8503, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Was the first iPhone innovative? How is that definition relevant to Tim Cook’s comment about not being first?

6. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Not really. It did nothing that other devices hadn't done for years. It was a refinement on something already there, with a great marketer pushing it.

7. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

But refinement is an example of innovation: making improvements or taking something in a new direction.

We know Apple did not "invent" the smartphone... but they surely "improved" on the idea of the smartphone.

Hell... just two days before Apple introduced the first iPhone... Palm released yet another Treo. It looked almost exactly like the last Treo with its crappy plastic resistive screen and fixed keyboard layout.

But two days later... Apple set the stage for what the smartphone would look like for the next decade and beyond.

You can say Apple only "refined" the smartphone in 2007... but they seemed to do a pretty good job. :)

8. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Yes, "Planet of the Apps" is true innovation right there -_-

9. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Say what you want about that plastic Treo, but it looked great and I could drop it on the ground and it didn't shatter. The Treo wasn't one of them, but there were touch based smartphones (Windows Mobile, etc. ) when the iPhone was released that looked very similar.

Apple had an impact, but you are forgetting that Android hit at about the same time. It was sad to me to see the world shape shift to where everything looked the same. Prior to the iPhone, there was some great variety in what you could get for a smartphone. In that sense, Apple killed innovation because everything became an iPhone clone. That is very sad.

10. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

Did the first iPhone show new methods and ideas? Yes it did.
    Is "not being first" showing new methods and ideas? No, it is not.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2017 ---
    No, refinement is improvement in small steps - it does not mean the same as innovation.

It's fair to say that Apple did a little more than "refine" the smartphone - they did real innovation... In the design but also in the integration and functions of the device. But I'm curious, when did Apple fans start with the "Apple has never been about being first...", when I look for quotes from the Jobs era there is really nothing to support that statement but I see Cook saying it, so my question is: am I missing something?

11. Michael Scrip, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I think you can trace it back to the iPod era.

There were certainly MP3 players before the iPod... but the iPod is the one that put portable music players on the map, per se.

Apple's colorful musical TV commercials and white-cabled earbuds were a phenomenon in the early-to-mid 2000s. I think Apple had 75% market share at one point in the portable media player market. Or three out of four MP3 players sold were from Apple. (and it drove the Apple-haters crazy) :p

So yeah... Apple wasn't "first" to make an MP3 player... but they certainly made an impact with theirs. And that's where that quote came from, I believe.

12. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

The previous poster said in order to be innovative, you have to be first. He interpreted Tim Cook's comment about not being first as an admission to not being innovative.

13. LordVic macrumors 603

Even Michael Dell hated what became of his company because of exactly this. So much so he rebought back controlling interest, told wall street to eff off, and has at least tried to make some decent quality products people want (though I wouldn’t yet put the, at the top of innovation)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2017 ---
    But that is kind of what innovation means. To do some new, differently than before.

It’s a bit a kludgy concept. You can be iterative and innovative at the same time, or you can be purely iterative and not innovative.

I think either applies sometimes with Apple. They are innovative on some small things right now, but most of the big picture is purely iterative

14. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Tim Cook said Apple isn’t first, which was a reference to their products not being launched first. He never admitted to not doing something new/different.

Being first to launch a product isn’t a requirement to innovation.

15. Dameatball macrumors member

Dameatball

16. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Eddy Clueless thinks stealing Animoji from emonster inc is innovation. Sad...

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Wrong. The Apple Watch doesn't need to revolutionize the world, its intent is to convenience the world around us. The reason its the worlds best selling smart watch and most successful, is because it acts as a median between the iPhone. It conveniences us when we need it most as a communication device, fitness tracker for health functions and now with LTE capabilities, it allows the freedom of not being tethered to our iPhones all the time.

Given the success of the Apple Watch, nothing else compares to it and it's only going to mature from this point forward, considering it's only been available on the market just over two years.

18. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

I think you're exactly right. The Watch is something of a sneaky product - it may be limited in what it can do NOW, but over time it seems like it will do more and more and more. And it does things no other Apple product does.