Eddy Cue Says He 'Disagrees Vehemently' With Those Who Believe Apple's Pace of Innovation Has Slowed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Peperino macrumors 6502a

Peperino

Exactly... if they have to come and deny it, then it is because a lot of people are thinking about it.

Same thing happened with the release of the latest Macbook Pro. It was so bad, that they had to come out 1 week after with a half price adaptors.

Eddy Cue should go ASAP...

2. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Yeah, OK, well let's discuss the recent "innovations" such as the AppleWatch and Earbuds *YAAAAWWWNN*...

...what was I saying? Was I saying something? Innovation-something-something. Oh yeah, they put better screens and processors in iPhones and iMacs and stuff. Innovative as F!

Off topic: Eddie Cue's face is that default caricature face all those amusement-ground caricature artists draw.

3. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

People said the same thing of Nokia when they released the arte series - A year later they launched the N95. It comes and goes.

4. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Eddie: the iPad was NOT innovation. It was an iteration. Simply a large iPhone - which in some models isn't capable of making calls. No, I don't expect Apple to come up with a new, blockbuster product every year. But aside from AppleTV and the Watch, there aren't many that can be called innovative in the last 9.5 years.

5. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Innovative, ha... I’d settle for an updated Mac Mini.

6. RemE macrumors regular

RemE

Boy, these jokers just keep on bringing the hits, ya, that statement took real "Courage" Eddy.

Ipad and iPhone were certainly user interface paradigm shifts and have their place in history. Dual cameras, touch ID, and face recognition are merely evolutionary steps not revolutionary at all.

Add to that their predatory predilection to remove things like headphone jacks and 32bit support for no real justifiable reason other than corporate greed.

7. randomplaydo macrumors member

I think people don't view Apple as "innovating" anymore because they're viewing innovating as though it always means paradigm shifting. There's only so often you can shift things like distribution of music, communications, entertainment consumption, etc. Apple put itself in a hole because they did major paradigm shifts repeatedly for an entire decade - which is unheard of in almost any industry.

But innovation is still innovation even when it's refinement. Face ID is innovation through the use of the depth camera to create a 3d depth map of the face to make it a secure and fast way of unlocking a phone. Did facial recognition exist before them? Yes. Did depth mapping cameras exist before them? Yes. Did anyone put them together on a mass market phone and make it work (assuming since we have to really see it in action) in a fraction of a second in a way that is thousands of times more secure than a fingerprint? No. That's just one example.

I think Apple's shifted from changing major paradigms to innovation through refinement. Making things work as seamlessly and perfectly as possible.

8. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Apple Pencil Charging
    Control centre toggles in iOS11

= Home runs

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It was pretty late into Tiger before things settled out on the OSX side it was one of those time where it was nice to have hardware that was a bit older so you still had OS 9 so things would work, not that OS 9 was all that great either.

10. budafied macrumors regular

It's a laughable price when Samsung offers the same thing starting at $750 and the Pixel 2 is largely the same starting at $650.

11. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Eddy's clearly in touch with Apple's customers then :rolleyes:

Q-6

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Of course SJ used the help of some of the countries best creative ad and marketing firms. OTHO TC fired them to do it in-house and save a few pennies. Have you seen the iPhone 8 ad -- the one they used at the iPhone event? Could not be more generic and doesn't really highlight any tech -- sight nod to Studio Lighting. So if Apple is lacking on storytelling it's because they fired the storytellers, Ive's narration notwithstanding.

13. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

14. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Oh, No you didn't, lol.

3NdlTf.gif

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

16. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

eddie clueless is the last one to talk

his crass incompetence / arrogance has set back apple tv massively

17. Jodeo macrumors regular

Jodeo

"I disagree vehemently with that and I think we've been incredibly innovative," said Cue...

Well, the market disagrees.

Apple scored with facial recognition and doing some catch-up to other phones. But Apple's pace HAS dragged.

What if...
    * ...The Apple TV4K not only supported AirPods but used that technology to support wireless surround sound speakers?
    * ...The Apple TV4K had an upgraded remote tailored to the user experience instead of design (and a lot less easy to lose)? A few more buttons and moving the ever-annoying Voice-Over button out of the way (as it interferes with a lot of games) would be a good start. And no, the remote app on my iPhone/iPad isn't the answer. (No one bothered back in the 1990s to create a combination cordless phone/TV remote...)
    * ...The Macs all had two or three color options instead of silver? I want a space gray iMac but I'm not paying $5K for it. Brushed aluminum, now 10 years old, is the new beige.
    * ...All Macs shipped with a minimum of 256MB SSDs? Or 512 now? The memory constraints are nuts and cheapen their products and the lack of user-upgradable options cripple their value.
    * ...The iPhone had modular apps from Apple instead of all-in-one apps? For example: Allow the user to have one unified camera app AND the ability to extract functions (e.g. video, slow-mo) as separate apps (and recombine them)? Instead, I have to find similar stand-alone apps - which is fine, but it's annoying to have a decent stock camera app that tries (poorly) to do too much.
    * ...The Mac OS allowed users to disable and hide features and then enable them as needed? An organic UX that adopted to the user's proficiency, needs, etc. Creating and saving multiple workspaces is cool if it's 2005, but innovation should lead us to an OS that's a bit more flexible and even collaborative.
    * ...The iOS search/home screen had time clearly displayed? There's no clock widget (and I'm not buying an Apple Watch).

I could go on, as you could - there are so many ideas worth testing and exploring for viability. My sense is that Apple left the Mac line to neglect, has put more eggs in their iPhone/iOS basket and now drifting away from their "hedgehogs" (see Good to Great by J. Collins), increasing risk and alienating their base. Making TV shows is not innovative.

Apple has all kinds of openings to move the tech needle forward. But they no longer have the luxury of doing so at the pace they followed 15 years ago, 10 years ago or even 7 years ago. They don't need to "step up their game," they need to realize the game has been changing over the years and they risk being sidelined by their own playbook.

18. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

NOTE: I have totally bought into the Apple eco-system, so am willing to exchange hard-earned dollars for Apple equipment, but these observations are based on the facts as I understand them. I could be wrong.

I'll disagree with him too. Sure, they are innovative in some areas. Creating the Apple Watch was brilliant, even though it does not yet have that killer app. It's at least a solid foundation. We can point to the TouchBar as another foundation for future use. What else?

That said, let's be a bit more specific about their innovativeness... or lack thereof.

First there is a difference between being innovative (finding new uses for old products, or totally new products) and just "keeping up with the jones's" (staying competitive with the market).

HARDWARE
    1. Every year we get a new iPhone that has better/faster hardware (just like everyone else)
    2. Every year-ish we get a new iPad that has better/faster hardware (just like everyone else)
    3. Every year-ish we get a new watch that has slightly better hardware and a few additional components
    4. A couple of times per decade we get new laptops with middle-of-the-road hardware plus a new feature or two
    5. A couple of times per decade we get new desktops with middle-of-the-road hardware plus a new feature or two
    6. Once a decade we get new professional-grade hardware with middle-of-the-road hardware plus a new feature or two
    7. One every 2 years we get a new TV with middle-of-the-road hardware plus a new feature or two

SOFTWARE
    1. Every year we get a new version of iOS that is flashier, faster and has lots of great new features
    2. Every year we get a new version of MacOS that is flashier, faster and has lots of great new features
    3. Every year we get a new version of WatchOS that is ... well ... not much different
    4. Every year we get a new version of tvOS that is ... well ... not much different

CONCLUSIONS

• I don't expect new whiz-bang products every year... or even every decade. Those are hard to come by and take incredible effort.
    • I do, however, expect to have the envelope pushed in every conceivable direction with the existing products. There are so many areas for improvement and expansion that Apple is either ignoring or running behind the competition. Again, I don't expect new killer products/features every year, but in the absence of that there is no excuse for ignoring the obvious.

How, exactly, can an almost trillion-dollar company say this is being innovative?

When Apple introduced the iPhone they were the little player in a big, stagnant market. Now they are the big, stagnant player in an even bigger market that is filled with competitors willing to push the boundaries of what devices can and should do.

19. ajfahey macrumors regular

ajfahey

Excellent observation. Very true, axiomatic.

20. norbinhouston macrumors 6502

Eddie, how did he survive this long at Apple. He was Steve's pet. Hey Eddie, tuck your shirt in at the next show! You look like a dad trying his hardest trying to be cool but failing. I think they fired the wrong guy, they should have kept Forstall.

21. nixfu macrumors member

1) Needlessly making phones that are thinner than needed when you know they become easier to bend and break

2) Making phones out of glass instead of a more sturdy material like high quality plastics

3) Making phones that are not rugged or durable enough to be used for 5 seconds without a massive case adding on additional protective layers that SHOULD BE PART OF THE ACTUAL PHONE to begin with

4) Removing headphone jack and LYING about it being an impediment to making the phone (needlessly) thinner, just so you can sell more expensive headsets

5) Having absolutely ZERO valid arguments why your phone is not using USB3 in this day and age vs a junky proprietary connector

.....none of those things are innovation to me.

22. Bacillus, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

OMG Stop the CookCue Board before they brings us
    The MacBook Notch

\______________/

23. TheMacDaddy1, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

TheMacDaddy1 macrumors regular

Changing where stuff is in iOS for the sake of change and releasing it as a new version.....innovation!!!!!

The rapid battery draining effects of said new iOS on my 7 month old iPhone 7....I must be holding it wrong???

24. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

looking at his gormless grin i was actually hoping he'd announced he was leaving apple

he disappoints as usual

and they fired scott forstall.. i give up

25. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

I hope so as Steve Jobs introduced it in 2010.