Eeeeek! Finally switched my family to Macs!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sehnsucht, May 19, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

My parents' shopping list:

> 20" iMac (for them)
    > 15" MacBook Pro (for me, but I have to pay them back) :rolleyes:
    > 13" 2.0 GHz white MacBook (for my sister)
    > iWork '09 Family Pack
    > AirPort Extreme

I specifically made sure they got the white MacBook for my sister for FireWire backup drives or in case I ever need to run Target Disk mode on it. ;)

And to help the economy, a check card was used. :D

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Wow. I switched my family over to macs, but we didn't do it all at once. Which model MBP did you get?

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

Unibody 15", 2.93 GHz, 4 GB RAM. I'm going to be in debt for-FREAKING-ever but it'll be well worth it I think. :cool:

5. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

If you dont mind me asking, whats the benefit of buying this as opposed to any other wireless-N router? The linksys WRT400N is $130, so im just curious what makes the Airport Extreme worth $50 more?

6. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Damn dude, nice machine. Those take 8GB now, if I'm not mistaken.

YUP:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

Pricey now, but just wait a year. That thing will fly. Next thing you have to do, after you pay off your parents :D is get the Corsair 256GB SSD.

Sequential Access - Read 220MB/s
    Sequential Access - Write 200MB/s

:eek::eek:

There ya go, happy to have spent your money for ya. :D

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

How are you coping with the look of the UMBP? I find them very unattractive compared to the PB and MBP classics. i think it's the black keyboard that puts me off most. I'm sure underneath it's a beast of a laptop though.

8. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I have the same machine. Let's hope they don't update it any time too soon!

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the OP may have a different reason but to me they work better with mac's. they have their own utility and just like everything else apple they look a lot nicer. but you are right they probably dont give you any performance boost.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

It's all about the experience. You plug in an Apple router and just launch the Airport Utility built into the OS. When that router has a firmware update you get notified and upgrading is simple. I've struggled with Netgear and Linksys routers with their poor web interfaces, switches (ad hoc vs. infrastructure?) and poor documentation. If you are going all Mac, it is worth a few extra bucks to keep it all consistent.

11. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

Ha ha...:D I think I'll probably grab an 8 GB RAM kit first...Running a Win7 virtual machine on 4 GB is no fun. ;)

:D Your username and signature make a hilarious combo...lol

I agree...I looked at some previous-gen 17-inchers (with the better keyboards!) but the prices on those are still ridiculous for what you get. I was hoping for the anti-glare 17" uMBP but that'd send me into even more debt. The anti-glare bezel looks much cleaner in my opinion, but is sadly unavailable on the 15". :(

The AirPort was my parent's purchase, not mine...so I figured what the hell...might as well have them go nuts! :D Plus the AirPorts have always worked better for me than the Linksys ones and especially Netgear. Ugh, Netgear! :)

Oh, they'll update them a month after I get mine, and then you and I can both go to MacRumors and bitch about how unfair it is! Ha ha not really... :D

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The day after I converted my entire network/family over to Macs my headaches all went away. I have been headache free for four years now.

We have 7 macs here now, all happily working away doing what WE want them to do.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Awesome accomplishment. That's still on my to-do list, along with bringing peace to the Middle East;):rolleyes:

Now, in all seriousness, little brother is getting a Mac, and since we are both away for college, our parents always want to see us, so iChat it is and they will have to get a Mac for that. Besides, the family computer is 6+ years old, about to give way.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea Netgear is awful. even when i get it working the range sucks. i just dont get along with netgear. i think it is because i threw my friend's against a brick wall and from then on i have not had any success with them haha

15. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Good on you, OP!!! I still can't get my mom to use a computer. ANY computer. God love her ... :rolleyes:

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

17. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

i wish i had the talent to do this!!

my sister has tried garageband and tried my mac she had garageband at school for Music class.. lucky thing, i never got macs!! And my dad is a semi-pro muso so i really dont understand whats keeping him, seeing as he could run all his software he needs and still have some extra kick to have my mum logged in on a different account.. i think it just seems to be the price.

aah well i can hope! :)

PTP

18. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

:eek: I just realized this is the first computer my mom has EVER bought that isn't a Dell!!! She got her first one in 1996 I think...and has been buying a new Dell about every 2 years or so. The Vostro she has now is only about a year old but is soon to be thrown out a window....along with Windows!! :D

It'll be peaceful once they switch to Macs...you do realize that all the suicide bombers are just frustrated with Vista, right??? :D :D Screw "democracy in Iraq", they should just open a few Apple stores! ;)

19. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i agree, dell=dookie- well, except the monitors lol

20. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

:eek: This thread :eek: inspired me to order one of these:

[​IMG]

http://www.applesac.com/blackhemp.html

A friend of mine has one for her MacBook and it's pretty awesome...although it'll get here sooner than the MBP itself which is really going to make me twitch!!! :eek: :D

21. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

^that case looks like a parka for your macbook :D

I agree about Netgear, they are just terrible. My boss at work has to buy a new router every 6 months because he is too stupid to realize that Netgear is screwing him over. I told him to get a linksys, but he refuses to listen, so im not going to worry about it.
    I have a Linksys here at home and i love it. I dont care if its shiny or has a fancy interface, i just wanted something i could install dd-wrt on so i had complete control.

22. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

23. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

he had them watch ever mac ad until they were convinced

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, Linksys is pretty damn good when it's working. And yes, DD-WRT gets you complete control (and yes, the Linksys official firmware is horrendous).

But, seriously, I could do the stuff I want to do in DD-WRT, with the AirPort Utility in far less time, with far less frustration and pulled hair.

I do really like the AirPort Utility, and I do have great experiences with Apple routers as well. Have an old AirPort Extreme 802.11g (yes, the flying saucer one) that's working beautifully all those years. Zero reason to upgrade yet (no computers in the household is 802.11n yet, and by the time 802.11n makes it into the household, the router would be at least 7 years old. Not bad for $50 extra.

Basically I'm just saying there's pros and cons to both, and for many (including me) the extra cost of owning an Apple router is worth it (especially since you don't upgrade the router often at all, so why not spend a extra $50?).

25. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Afaik (they may have changed this), the Airport Extreme doesnt support QoS. I never even heard of QoS before i installed dd-wrt, and then i made sure i knew what i was doing before i tweaked it, and now i will never buy a router that doesnt support QoS.
    I dont care about the "Mac Experience," i just want the best features at the best price, if i have to deal with an ugly interface i'll be happy knowing i saved $50 and got QoS support.

Regardless, thanks for clearing that up. The Airport has an apple on it, so people will buy it.