EFF Says iOS 11's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Toggles in Control Center Are Misleading and Compromise Security

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2017.

1. paradox00 macrumors 65816

It's not difficult to understand, but the button doesn't say "off" it says "disconnected". There are three status icons: blue is connected, grey is disconnected, and grey with a line through it is off. If you force touch in control center. You get descriptions that say exactly that. Off requires turning the radio off in settings.

The communication is there, but it could be clearer. They also could have included a three way toggle, I don't think I'd personally like that better, but it would address the issue. I have a strong suspicion that disconnect is the far more desired option, and Apple would have had that data when they made their decision. It's unfortunate that turning off wifi requires airplane mode or a journey into the settings app, but I suspect a connect/disconnect toggle is more desirable for the typical user.

Maybe you should go complain that turning your cars headlights off still leaves the daytime running lights on, and you have to turn your car off to turn those off. On/off isn't the only toggle possible.

2. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

it means disconnect.. not off.

if you didn't know that before, now you know.
    settled.

(unless you want to keep acting like you still think it means 'off'.. in which case.. carry on)

3. Dave.UK macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

So as you say, its a 3 way toggle now. However in previous iOS versions its was a 2 way toggle?
    How have Apple communicated that?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Did it mean off prior to iOS 11? If so, how have Apple communicated this new change?

4. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

5. miketcool macrumors 6502a

miketcool

This is also a problem with "Live Photos" in the camera app. You can adjust the setting to remember your last saved setting, but each time you access the quick camera in Messages it turns Live Photo back on and then by default saves that setting in the Camera app.

iOS is leaving my phone open to more exploitation while forcing me to capture more data through my camera. I really want all three of these features to turn off when I TURN THEM OFF.

6. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

iOS 11 went through 10 beta versions and not one developers & public testers complained about this?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

it gives appropriate feedback when using it.. do you even use these controls? if so, you should be able to see what it's doing.

also here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208086

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11
    Learn how to control Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from Control Center on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 11 and later.

About Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
    In iOS 11 and later, when you toggle the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth buttons in Control Center, your device will immediately disconnect from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will continue to be available, so you can use these important features:

• AirDrop
    • AirPlay
    • Apple Pencil
    • Apple Watch
    • Continuity features, like Handoff and Instant Hotspot
    • Instant Hotspot
    • Location Services
    [​IMG]

Disconnect from Wi-Fi networks
    Open Control Center and tap [​IMG]. The icon will dim and your device will disconnect from any network that you're connected to.

While Wi-Fi is disabled, auto-join for any nearby Wi-Fi networks will also be disabled until:

• You turn on Wi-Fi in Control Center.
    • You connect to a Wi-Fi network in Settings > Wi-Fi.
    • You walk or drive to a new location.
    • It's 5 AM local time.
    • You restart your device.
    [​IMG]

Disconnect from Bluetooth accessories
    Open Control Center and tap [​IMG]. The icon will dim and your device will disconnect from any accessory it's connected to, except for Apple Watch, Instant Hotspot, Apple Pencil, and Continuity features, like Handoff.

If Bluetooth is turned off, you won’t be able to connect your iOS device to your Bluetooth accessories until:

• You turn on Bluetooth in Control Center.
    • You connect to a Bluetooth accessory in Settings > Bluetooth.
    • It's 5 AM local time.
    • You restart your device.
    [​IMG]

Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
    If you want to completely disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for all networks and devices, follow these steps:

• To turn off Wi-Fi, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn off Wi-Fi.
    • To turn off Bluetooth, go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
    For the best experience on your iOS device, try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

8. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

Any decent WiFi manager app will let you do this very simply.

9. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Then how it works now in iOS 11 is fine for you. The radios are still enabled, but not "active". They are not trying to search for and connect to nearby networks and devices. I suspect it dramatically lowers power usage without being fully cut off from other Apple devices that you may own and have nearby.

But I must agree — Apple made a mistake implementing it this way. Maybe if they had a three-mode button — On, Disconnected, and Off — then it would give users that much-needed feedback while allowing it to operate the way it's been designed to in iOS 11.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You know, I was pretty annoyed with this change, too. But now that I know how it works, and have used it a few times, I'm actually in favor of it.

Sure, we're not used to buttons working this way. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

11. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

This is what happens when you attempt to remove any trace of skeuomorphism from the software.

What should be obvious now isn't.

It doesn't have to be everywhere (leather binders), but when used properly, it works like nothing else.

12. LordVic macrumors 601

the problem with this change, is that it's not obvious. in previous iOS's, and in every other device that has wifi, when WiFi is toggled it turns off. Apple has now attempted to change long standing norms for behaviour of toggles. they can if they want, it's their OS, but it's user confusing and doesn't follow expected norms and behaviours.

is it being blown out of proportion? probably. But the people pointing out that it's confusing and a change that didn't make sense to make aren't necessarily wrong.

13. Guidonculous macrumors newbie

Guidonculous

Why on earth would you let you iPhone join unapproved networks at all then?

14. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

Use a WiFi manager app. Simple.

15. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

10 years? you sure about that?

16. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Thought this was odd when I first read about it. Inclined to agree with EFF. Easy enough to add a confirm “Disconnect or Off?” window after touching the control center button.

17. 2IS Suspended

There it is, the most retarded post I'll read all day... Your solution for me wanting to turn off my blue tooth radio is airplane mode? I'd love to now what you think airplane mode does.

18. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors regular

Why not do a quick double tap. Turns WiFi off then quickly back on. This will disconnect from current connection then immediately turn WiFi on again.

19. KrispE00 macrumors member

I complained about this in every single beta version. At first, I reported it as a bug, until I figured out what was actually happening.
    For 4 whole years, you could just turn off WiFi and Bluetooth in control center. Now, performing the same action doesn’t produce the same result. It’s completely unintuitive.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Suggestion for iOS 12: Pressing pause only pauses your music temporarily. It’ll resume playing at 5AM every day. :confused:

20. macTW Suspended

For 10 years, if you wanted WiFi turned off, you switched it off. Sometimes in settings and sometimes in control center. Now, they secretly changed it so turning WiFi off doesn’t turn it off.

21. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

probably if you want to turn off your bluetooth radio in iOS 11, you should do that via Settings.
    it takes what, 2.5 seconds or so?

22. Allyance macrumors member

Allyance

What's the big deal? It's a new feature, get used to it. It doesn't negate using the settings to actually turn off the WiFi radio, but is easier when you don't want your phone to latch on to another network, like mine did today in MickeyD's.

23. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

in this thread (or, in this forum) ;)

(18+.. language etc)

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I turn WiFi off sometimes when I'm in the reach of some WiFi network that doesn't actually give internet access. And it's nice to have it turned on later when I forgot about it, so I don't eat up my data allowance while I'm at home.

How many people actually switch WiFi off for security reasons?

25. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Simple? No, the Control Panel is simple. Turning it "off" to disconnect from the current bad connection, then "on" again to reconnect to a better connection should be simple. If I need to load a separate app to connect to a better WiFi signal, I'll go to the Settings app. I'm honestly not seeing any advantage whatsoever in your solution. It sounds like a flashlight or emoji app to be honest. Totally unnecessary in today's world.