Effin' wonderful

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FastMan, Feb 14, 2008.

1. FastMan macrumors member

My new mac pro delivered today. Problem is they delivered it to the wrong house. Signed for by a name I nor my neighbors know, and is not listed in the phone book of the small town I live in. Some idiot is sitting out there right now thinking they just got over on a new Mac Pro. :mad:

Called Apple. Signature dispute underway. Well bugger me.

2. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

Eeesh - now that is bad. Signature dispute... so they have it listed as delivered to your house... but it went to a different house... yoinks - how do you find out which house it did go to?! Is FedEx (or which ever carrier it is) any help in this? :confused:

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

ouch - you need to get hold of the actual guy who delivered it and find out where he left it!

I've never heard of this one before - don't they have to check properly if you're expecting delivery etc

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

man, i would be calling the delivery folks, even though apple's looking into it, and would scream my bloody head off. get a manager on the phone. that is brutal! ie. how could the driver accept a signature for your name? sure, the signee could have signed it, but someone must have known you ordered one and you were set up?

that's unreal. i'd snap...

5. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Grand theft / felony mail fraud...

Naturally you will have direct words with the specific driver on your route.

He/she will either claim he took it to another house by mistake or falsely claim you signed for it (or someone at your address).

Either way, you have recourse. It's hard to imagine any scenario where you are simply screwed... if anything it'll be a big hassle, but you'll end up with your Mac in the end.

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

not only should you be getting your mac rushed to you express delivery, but you should be seeking compensation too for all the time you've lost on your work!

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Wow - i was really expecting to click this thread and hear about how like your hard drive crashed or something like this... not about mail fraud - i mean it could have just been a mistake too - probably was. look his name up in the phone book and ask some neighbors! Good luck!

8. JDR macrumors regular

By the way, if you get your computer back from the person(s) who have it now, and the seal of the box is broken, I personally would not accept it. But I guess that's just me being cautious....

9. MikeL macrumors 6502

Checked your back door and around the house?

Drivers often sign when they leave a package on their own discretion. Best thing to do would be to call your local Fedex Ground facility and ask to speak to the driver. Be civil--you don't know what happened, and he or she will certainly remember that 50+ pound computer they dropped off.

10. MikeL macrumors 6502

Theft might be a bit hard to show, and mail fraud must--by definition--involved the USPS in some way.

He is, or should be, quite a ways off from starting to take advice from forum-lawyers.

11. FastMan thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE:

OK, so I called Fedex. They pull up my tracking info and are able to tell me the address where it was mistakenly delivered. OK, now were getting some where.

I ask her, "so, do you have a driver in the area who can go over and retrieve my computer?" She tells me, "I'm so sorry, but we do not have direct communication with our drivers, but I will start up a delivery mistake resolution case (or something like that), and follow up on it in the morning." She gives me the case #. I say, "thank you, and in the mean time I'll take a ride to the address where my computer was delivered and see if I can retrieve it myself."

So with clenched fists I hustle to the car and spin out of the driveway on course to rescue my baby. I get to the house, go to the door, and tell the fella who answers that a package was delivered by mistake to his home a couple hours ago and I've come to pick it up. He says, "was it a computer?", and then invites me in.

Sitting there by the door are two identical Mac Pro boxes. One is addressed to his son, and one to me. He says, "here THEY are", and was about to give me both boxes. He was clueless. I thanked him, and left with my box, informing him that the other belongs to his son.

So here's my speculation on what happened. The driver, seeing 2 identical Apple boxes probably thought they comprised one order, so looked at one of the shipping labels and delivered them both to that address. Luckily, when he scanned both labels the info was recorded in their master system where my computer was actually delivered, so I was able to go retrieve it straight away.

I was quite glad I found my computer sitting there unopened. I had already told Apple that if when it eventually made it to me, I would not accept it if it had been opened. I'm sure if I hadn't gotten to it right away before junior got home, it would have been tore into.

I'm a bit disappointed with Apple. They were not very helpful with this. There response was, "We will start a disputed signature investigation. We will contact you by Email within 24 hours, and then once every 3 days there after" When I said that they should express ship me another immediately, and retrieve the lost computer themselves, the answer was no can do.

It would have been very easy for the guy at Apple to make a quick call to Fedex, and immediately acquire the same information I did which allowed me to retrieve my computer and bring a quick close to this problem. But he did not. He just left me to do the leg work on my own, with a promise to contact me every three days. That's poor.

Anyways, all's well that ends well. Baby is home.

12. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I have had some bad experiences with UPS and fedex. One time fedex dropped some packages off at my house, but then dropped another package addressed to me at a different house. How do you do that? I've also had several experiences where drivers will simply not come and say that they came and left one of those notices, which is BS. These guys get paid a lot of money for what they do, I don't see why they have to do these jacka*s things.

13. Banacek macrumors 6502

Hmm, I think you're disappointed with the wrong entity here. They don't control FedEx/UPS.

14. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

phew!

at least the guy who took delivery didn't know what was going on!

15. MikeL macrumors 6502

No kidding. I wouldn't have even called them. They aren't the carrier. Until a claim needs to be filed, what's the point?

16. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

Wow :eek: - congratulations - you got REALLY lucky! Good job on the follow-up. And as far as Apple & FedEx's relationship, I disagree somewhat with the other fellow - I worked in shipping while at school, and if something we shipped (be it via UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever) and the shipper screwed up, we played a huge part in clearing up the mess by dealing with the shipper in finding out what got screwed up. Granted, it was a small-time operation compared to Apple, but I don't see how Apple isn't part of clearing up a mess like that.

17. FastMan thread starter macrumors member

Additional thought:

Quite interesting that, in a small town of less than 5000 people, 2 Mac Pros were on board the same truck, being delivered the same day. Me thinks these things are selling well. :apple:

18. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Well then it's certainly First Degree Murder and / or Necro-Sodomy. No matter what it is, it's punishable by two death sentences, to be carried out consecutively.

19. kingkezz macrumors regular

I can't believe FedEx gave you someone else's address!

20. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

Good point, that. Especially in this day and age!

21. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

That happened to me yesterday. UPS claimed I wasn't there to sign for both packages. Yet they claimed they left a notice. BS. Luckily, they didn't stiff me today.

22. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

That's actually a pretty serious breach of privacy and completely illegal.

I'll go you one better. It was completely idiotic of them to do it.

It was also idiotic of the guy to give you the computer even if it was yours.

Here's why:

There's nothing stopping you from continuing your claim to not getting the package.

FedEx has no proof you ever received it. The guy that gave it to you has no proof he gave it to you.

If I were that guy, I would have said I'm sorry you're getting screwed but I have to keep your package until FedEx comes to get it. Then I'd talk to a lawyer about suing FedEx to the stone ages for giving out my address.

And one last thing. You have no reason to be disappointed with Apple. They couldn't do anything more than exactly what they did. Your problem was nothing more than a simple mistake by a guy driving a truck. Any of us could make that mistake. The guy you got the computer off of has a much bigger gripe than you do.

23. FastMan thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I was a bit surprised too, but refrained from scolding her. I was very friendly, in a desperate sort of way. Perhaps that had something to do with it. ;)

A person of less honest character could have devised a plan to abscond with a Mac Pro, and actually made off with 2. This quy was going to give me both boxes.

Thanks all, for the suggestions and moral support through this short dilemma.

Actually, Salty, when Fedex gave me the address, the damage was done. I would not have left that house without that box, no matter what he said. It was my property, bought and paid for, with my name on the box. It was going home with me one way or the other. I think he sensed that.

24. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Sadly no, it wasn't yours. He signed for it, it was his. He had every right to keep it and call the police to get you off his property. When he signed his name he took ownership of the box. Granted, he would need to either pay for it, or give it back in the end, but at that point in time that package did not belong to you in any way. But his responsibility was to give it back to FedEx, not some random guy knocking at his door claiming it was his.

Don't mistake that I'm saying you did anything wrong (Assuming you didn't threaten him or anything). But you got screwed the minute the delivery guy handed it over. It wasn't that guys fault, and he has the right to protect himself as well.

25. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Well, I question that. Had he not let you into the house to see, there's nothing in the world that gives you the legal right to be there. And, if he'd really wanted to, he could have probably called the cops and had you carted away, if you hadn't left.

Yes, you did pay for it. But unfortunately, you didn't possess it at that time. When FedEx has your Mac, it's actually theirs, not yours. Not until you sign for it (or they otherwise leave it). I suspect the same thing may have applied here, from a legal perspective.

But, I'm neither a cop or a lawyer, so I'm not sure. I'm glad you retrieved your Mac with relatively little stress, and that you were honest enough with the guy to only take yours. But, I'd be a little careful in assuming that you had every right to take that machine away from him.

jas